Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Official Depth Chart request - defensive starters

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Matherly87, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    It would be greatly appreciated if any of our reporter friends could ask if the University plans to post pregame depth charts this year. I don't know if its a coach by coach thing or SEC mandate but with the defensive lineup changes this year depth charts would be very helpful to see what our coaches are looking at player wise. Hopefully we will get them mid week during the season like most years. I could see two different scenarios based on a 3-4 or 4-3 alignment.
    I'm interested to hear everyone's opinion on our defensive starters this year. I'll post mine if we get some interest going.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Hope this thread catches on. What type of 34 will we run? Initially, I had assumed larger DEs, especially with some of the size on our roster. Not sure granthams 34 is that big though.

From looking around, it seems more SDE, NT, DT, Rush End. With 2 LBs and Chauncey at Star/nickle looks very 43 on paper.

Slaton at DT, conliffe at NG, clayton at DE, cece at rush. How will Clark, Campbell, Dunlap be used? Will zuniga get stuck at SDE, and if so only be used in rush situations? Carter and Langham seem natural there. How do you get polite, moon, and chatfield on the field?

Many are worried about our linebackers, but with reese having one spot filled, all we need is one more. I assume Miller takes it. That leaves a lot of experienced guys fighting for PT.

Wheres Chaunceys best position? Seemed I heard burneys name non stop at O&B. Could burney be ready and push Chauncey back 5o safety? Or at least McWilliams back to CB depth?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. UFish

UFish GC Legend

Dec 14, 2010
    My guess based on what I’ve read. And on last season.

DE: Jabari Zuniga, Jr. / Kyree Campbell, So.
    NT: Tedarrel Slaton, So. / Khairi Clark, Sr.
    DE: Adam Shuler, Sr. / Elijah Conliffe, So.

OLB: Cece Jefferson, Sr. / Antonneous Clayton, Jr.
    ILB: David Reese, Jr. / Ventrell Miller, Fr.
    ILB: Kylan Johnson, Jr. / Rayshad Jackson, Jr.
    OLB: Vosean Joseph, Jr. / Jeremiah Moon, So.

CB: Marco Wilson, So. / Brian Edwards, So.
    CB: C.J. Henderson, So. / C.J. McWilliams, So.
    FS: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Jr. / Shawn Davis, So.
    SS: Brad Stewart, So. / Jeawon Taylor, Jr.

I think Cece will move around based on down and distance, opponent tendencies, etc. Could see Clayton do the same thing. They're both a little on the small side for a typical 3-4 DE, but still plenty big and athletic enough to play with their hands in the dirt on a college 3-4.

Slaton is the obvious choice to play nose in Grantham's defense. He's even bigger than Clark and despite the experience advantage Clark has, I think Slaton will (or already has) claim the starting gig over him at NT. They'll both see a lot of snaps though.

The secondary is young but plenty talented. It's the linebacking corps that worries me. There's some experience there but not a lot of depth. And probably not the level of NFL-caliber talent we're used to at that position.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    That's good stuff GameTime and exactly the questions I have. I would think Slaton at NG and either Clark or Conliffe at DT. Can CeCe or Zuniga play up and cover when needed? I think Chauncey would be best at CB but he has been at Nickel this fall. Does that make us a 4-2-5 Defense?

5. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I don't see Shuler starting, maybe later in the year and with injuries. I think the D line needs more size in a 3-4 so maybe Conliffe or Clark gets the start at DE/DT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    UFish - that's similar to what I assumed with a "truer" 34. From what I've been able to find granthams 34 is more similar to a hybrid 43 nickle - at least on paper.

7. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I read that slaton has been crosstraining at both tackle spots...that's probably where has sack goals are coming from, more of an UT role. I think we all think of NT with him, but if someone else can hold the middle his athleticism could work really well at the other tackle spot. Conliffe had some quotes where he has the mindset of a NT, doing the dirty work and letting others fill the statsheet.

I keep saying on.paper, because I havent seen a whole lot of film, but I do agree we could be considered a 4-2-5 with Chauncey/burney at star/nickle.

8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    So if we went with a traditional 4-3-4 it might look like this based on last year.
    DE/LB CeCe Jefferson
    DT Tedarrel Slaton
    NT Kairi Clark
    DE Jabari Zuniga
    OLB Vosean Joseph
    ILB David Reese
    OLB Kylan Johnson
    SS Shawn Davis
    FS Chauncey Gardner
    CB Marco Wilson
    CB CJ Henderson
    Pretty simple right! Not many changes with most everyone back.

Here's my pick and imagine our D in a 3-4-4 by year end.
    DE - Jabari Zuniga/Jachai Polite
    NT - Tedarrel Slaton/Kairi Clark
    DT - Elijah Conliffe/Luke Ancrum
    LB/DE - CeCe Jefferson/Andrew Chatfield
    ILB - David Reese/James Houston
    ILB - Vosean Joseph/Ventrell Miller
    OLB - Kylan Johnson/Jeremiah Moon
    SS - Amari Burney/Shawn Davis
    FS - Jeawon Taylor/Brad Stewart
    CB - Chauncey Gardner/CJ Henderson
    CB - Marco Wilson/Trey Dean
    Yes that's right I have Gardner a true Corner and Burney gets the start at Safety by year end.
    If you dropped it into a 3-3-5 then I see Gardner at the Nickel and Henderson at CB. Plus I think you see Chatfield play in situational downs. Watch his HS vids. He lives in the offensive backfield. Some situations we might have Conliffe off the field CeCe a true DE and Chatfield on the edge. Plus he is a little quicker than CeCe if he needs to help cover.
    Anyone else care to throw a what if into the arena?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I kinda said it earlier, but think miller takes voseans job. I just think he will be more assignment sound. Also question the gardner/Henderson take unless Henderson has a legit injury. It just seems that we plan to be in nickle as a base and havent heard too much about gardner repping anywhere but the star position. I think that him and Henderson on the field together is better than gardner and jaewon.

We appear to have a lot of boom/bust guys to get on the field...just gotta find the right way to do it! Also think I read that Dunlap has been impressive- when he is going full speed. Think we rotate the big boys a lot to keep them fresh.

Edit - thanks for this thread, think it's the most interesting one going right now. Just wish it had some more input from the guys who have really been paying attention!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I think we see more change ups in the defense than we have been led to believe. Disagree about Chauncey at Corner, thought that is a noble prediction. I think he stays at Nickel and we see a LOT of it as well as plenty of 3/4, 4/3. It is going to be very interesting to see how the coaches decide game plans based upon opponents strengths and what they are seeing from our players. A LOT of tools to work with.

Going to be more of a chess match than we have seen in years.
    Fun....thanks for the thread and opinions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    I saw a recent interview with sal sunsieri where he says we are 12 deep across the line and we will rotate a lot. Got to absolutely love that, we have a really talented line. Chauncey isn't playing corner, he will be our nickel and in this defense that's a play making spot. He will have a really good year this year I expect, kids really talented. Safety top four is lenton Taylor davis and stiner

• Like Like x 1
  12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I agree with everyone that Gardner is best at Nickel but I'm thinking we can't stay in nickel all the time. So if we are not in the nickel does Gardner play CB or back to S? I think he would be better at CB. I don't think he comes off the field just because we are not in the nickel. As Manigordo said its going to be interesting to see the game plans based on match ups. That's exactly my point with this thread. Point is our D will change during the season based on opponent, injured players where we lose strength and depth, or even who's playing well together for a few weeks. Thanks for the opinions. Hopefully this discussion builds as we get closer to Sept 1.

13. UFish

UFish GC Legend

Dec 14, 2010
    I could see us going back to a 3-3-5 a lot like we did in 2008-2009. Or even a 4-2-5. But I'd rather see just four DBs and more size in the front seven against teams like Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Vandy and other teams we know are going to try to run the ball conventionally. Against spread-oriented teams like Missouri, Kentucky, and to a lesser extent MSU, we'll be in nickel most of the game to counter their speed.

Chauncey is one of our top four defensive backs. So when we have just four DBs on the field, I can't imagine many scenarios in which he won't be one of them. Whether that's at corner or safety remains to be seen. Marco and C.J. spent the better part of the season as our outside corners so I could see Chauncey back at safety in our four DB sets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    No stewart?

15. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    What is going on with Polite and Clayton? Polite apparently has dropped a lot of weight while Clayton continues to grow, which suggests that Polite will be behind Jefferson, while Clayton may be behind Zuniga

16. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    He is in there too

17. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I read a comment from a coach on the DL. He said the depth will be 3 deep at every position and that all of the players were going to play regularly rotating in and out of the game. The DL is going to be really good. Robbie Andreu ranked the DL 3rd best in the SEC behind Alabama and Auburn, but I'm thinking we could have the best DL in the SEC.

LB is going to be better than expected. Besides the 5 with experience coming back, the word is out that Miller and Houston are playing at a high level already. Reports have been good on David Reese too. Haven't seen anything on Nick Smith yet, but I'm sure we will over the next 2 weeks. Bottom line, LB depth is going to be fine.

In the defensive backfield, my only concern is lack of quality depth at CB behind Wilson and Henderson. Trey Dean is said to be a stud for a true freshman so that will help. We have backup CBs, but they all lack experience playing big time college football.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GatorsDoItBetter

GatorsDoItBetter GC Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Polite? He will be a BIG factor in the defensive front.

Also I believe Trey Dean will be our 3rd corner behind Marco and CJ

19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yes Polite should be pushing Zuniga for the starting DE.
    I agree on Trey Dean. Edwards and McWilliams have not done much so the hope is Dean will be ready as a much needed back up. Hopefully he can push Marco and CJ towards the best they can be.

20. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    Polite is playing rush end behind cece or in front of cece, Zuniga is on the strong side,