Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Official 2018 NBN Cavs/GSW 4.0 NBA Finals Game Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by harnettgator, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator8239

Gator8239 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 17, 2007
    Double posted on accident

2. Gator8239

Gator8239 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 17, 2007
    He got off the court pretty quickly too ... but didn’t rip his jersey off and throw away. Where are our body language experts at?!? Just kidding guys.

Lebron watch 2018 officially underway.

3. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

No, there's just too much whining on this thread during the games. I hate whining! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

I'm hoping these guys in Cleveland will have an opportunity to prove how good they are without James next season. Would love to see James actually join a team that's winning before he gets there. Houston might be nice!

I don't know the statistics about individual players, but it sure seems like LeBron lifts irrelevant franchises to relevance when he joins them and they've fallen off to irrelevance when he leaves.

I'm sure for the anti-LeBron folks it will come down to one of the following explanations:

(1) Cleveland does poorly next season, because LeBron was the defacto GM and left behind a weak team that he built.

(2) Cleveland does well next season, because LeBron actually had better teammates this season than the pundits gave them credit for and LeBron dragged them down (although apparently LeBron wasn't quite as bad a GM as we thought ;)).

It looks like preparations are being made for both explanations. :cool:

"Making teammates better" is an expression I've always been skeptical of. I don't really buy into making teammates better. I think you can help them perform by drawing defensive attention and/or setting them up with good looks for easy shots (i.e., assists). But, it's up to the other player(s) to take advantage of those opportunities. Some thrive and some don't. Clarkson, for example, was very disappointing to me in that he looked very good in the regular season, but wilted in the playoffs. I would assume he wasn't ready for playoff pressure.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. gatorcloud

gatorcloud GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Both times when he was added to an irrelevant team he was accompanied by an All-Star in Bosh or Love.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Which is quite the irony.

7. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    These Finals were boring. It's pretty ridiculous how good GS is.

I am hoping that next year the C's will be healthy. I think they could have given GS a run.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. gatorblues

gatorblues Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I love the way Golden State plays. They are extremely talented. But Houston was on the verge of knocking them out before Chris Paul got hurt, so it's not like they're invincible. Golden State is simply much, much better than the Cavs. Had CP3 stayed healthy, they still might not have beaten Golden State, but if they had, I think Houston would have easily beaten the Cavs in 5 games or 4.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorblues

gatorblues Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I should clarify my statement about Curry a little. His defense is good, it's just not among the very best in the league. He does not have the size and strength to play bigger guards one and one, which is why Cleveland tried to get him switched onto guarding Lebron whenever possible. However, he's excellent about anticipating the passing lanes, and like the rest of the Golden State team, he plays great team defense with respect to switching, helping, positioning, etc. I also thought he deserved the MVP he won, but I was puzzled about how it could be unanimous. There are so many all time greats who did not win the award without at least a couple dissenting votes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Well I deserve some crow for this prognostication. o_O Good thing they haven't yet legalized sports betting in my state.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    On the other hand, I felt this was going to be a snoozer of a finals and well . . . :emoji_sleeping:

• Like Like x 1
  12. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    If I hadn't have turned on the CWS game today I wouldn't have known GS won.
    No one is talking about this series where I'm at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Maybe due to no east coast teams involved and most expected a GS route. At least I did.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    GS is much better than Houston too. You are right that they had them on the ropes, but I feel like GS would have been okay with CP playing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    True, but he didn't take them with him when he left. My guess is that if this Cleveland team stays somewhat intact minus LeBron next season that they'll be irrelevant again.

And he didn't bring any All-Stars with him the first time he went to Cleveland. It took a couple of seasons, but they became relevant pretty quickly.

We know that the Bulls teams were still pretty good when Jordan left for 2 seasons (cincinnatigator still credited Jordan with that, which is one of the more creative arguments I've seen :cool:). I would agree the Heat teams LeBron was on would have been decent without him, but not sure they could have made the Eastern Conference Finals without him like the Bulls did without Jordan.

Speaking of those Bulls teams, who else is old enough to remember watching that long-haired hippie Phil Jackson when he was playing in the NBA. :D He had a pretty good jump shot that he liked to take from the corner as I recall.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. gatorcloud

gatorcloud GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami wasn't irrelevant. They made it to the playoffs the year before Bron arrived. You could add 2 alk-stars to any playoff team and they would challenge for a division. I agree Bron is the best of the game but he's not a perfect fit wherever he goes. Ironically he both made and ruined Cleveland twice. He ran Kyrie off because he is a control freak and now he's leaving the team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    You get no more arguments from me. Your greatest of all-time argument died yesterday and you’re now beating a dead horse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    The bulls were good for one season after Jordan left. They were a middling team in a dive before he came back in the 2nd year.

20. harnettgator

harnettgator Moderator VIP Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I'm not sure how many stayed up to see Stephen A. Smith's postgame comments on the late (Scott Van Pelt) Sportscenter following Game#4. I did and was really surprised by some of his comments.

Preface this share by saying I'm not a huge Stephen A. fan. His manner and style don't particularly do it for me, even though I believe he's pretty accurate particularly with respect to his NBA commentary and analysis. I've noticed during this playoff season, Stephen A. has maintained a consistent stance re the status of Cleveland's roster, and how the Cavs got to be in the predicament they're in. The audio isn't great on this video but it's worth a listen as it's relevant to this discussion and will likely be relevant to how/where LBJ chooses for his next team (paying closest attention starting around the 6:25 mark).

EDIT: ESPN in all their infinite wisdom :rolleyes: clipped the latter portion of Smith's comments from the main video released and put out a separate YouTube clip containing the comments I referenced above. Because the audio is better on this one, I'm adding it as well...

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.