Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Offensive strategy given inexperienced OL

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by StrangeGator, Aug 19, 2019.

1. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Legend

Aug 11, 2010
    Who’s our Latsko this year?

2. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Mullen said we have 5 tight ends: Pitts, Krull, Gamble, Lang and Zipperer.

Piits and Krull seem to be the best receiving types and could be nightmare matchups for the defense, but wonder who is the best blocker and who plays down by the goal line and in short yardage situations.

Meyer occasionally employed a 6th offensive lineman in short yardage situations, especially in the red zone. Any idea if there is anyone up to that task?

• Like Like x 1
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Gamble is probably the best blocker.

4. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd be really surprised if CDM defaults to anything like '05. This OL has been working the zone block scheme for over a year and odds are most were in a similar system throughout HS ball.

That definitely wasn't the case in '05. That OL had much less time in a system that was completely foreign what they had experienced up until that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thegatorvault

thegatorvault Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Mullen will have a game plan done this week, if he hasn't already. As he showed us last year, he will adjust it depending on what is working and not working during the game. This will include the OL play. It's not always the best game plan that wins the game, but the best options/adjustments when the other team is limiting your success. Mullen plays chess, so if the offense can stay focused and try to execute his calls throughout the game, should be a win for the good guys.

6. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    My vote is for lining Gouraige beside Forsythe.

7. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I would run play action on an over amped Cane D the first play

Supplies

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ma3008

ma3008 Recruit

Mar 24, 2019
    The adjustments this couching staff makes during the game and at halftime are what wins us games. We were down 14-21 vs USC and won 35-31. We were up at FSU 13-7 at the half and won 41-14. We were up against UM 13-10 at the half and won 41-15.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    I mean, if it were me, considering the apparent weakness of their secondary, I would spread them out as much as possible. Keep those LBs off the line and make them work in space against UF's excellent WR.

Throwing short passes and passes to the RB just plays to their strengths. You have to stretch the field and make them hesitate so that they aren't running downhill at our OL all game long.

Going two TE also plays to their strengths. You don't want to turn this into a fight in a phone booth, you want to make them run and step backwards at the beginning of every play

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 All American

Apr 10, 2007
    Getting the early lead will be key. We get up by a couple scores and they will be forced to open up the offense which will mean party time for Zuniga and our back 7.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    I watched the condensed FSU game last night (yes, ready for the season), and if Zuniga doesn't eat this OL alive, then he is going to have a long year and draft night, and I am going to be mighty surprised.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Diaz was Mullen's DC twice when Mullen was at State.
    This bothers me because if anyone knows how Mullen thinks, its Diaz.

Obviously it won't overcome personnel problems, but seems like that's an advantage for Miami.

And yes I worry a lot.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill All American

Feb 7, 2018
    One of the things I like about CDM is he makes effective adjustments when needed.

14. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    There seems to be some similarities between this Miami team and last year's FSU team. New coach, new system, questionable QB, good DL and suspect OL. Maybe we should repeat some of whatever worked best in that game?

Great thread, very informative and thought-provoking. Thanks you guys. Must be football season!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Seems Mullen knows Manny well enough to have gotten rid of him for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorbait596

gatorbait596 Freshman

Aug 19, 2019

So Mullen doesn't know how Diaz thinks? Seems odd you somehow quantify this as a negative for us yet not for them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. orangebluegator

orangebluegator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Agreed. You'd think this was a two way street.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    It should be. Kinda like how last year a lot of people were saying that Mississippi State's defensive stars knew too much about how Mullen works... but, Mullen also knew the strengths and weaknesses of MSU players inside and out, and, avoided/exploited them.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Works both ways though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I think Diaz moved up when Texas hired him.

FYI...Mullen faced Diaz when State played MTSU and Mullen was so impressed he ended up hiring him out of MTSU.

Here's a link..
    Dan Mullen explains what appealed to him about hiring Manny Diaz

Excerpt...
    I thought he had a good scheme and he wasn’t afraid to think outside the box, and tried different things,” Mullen said at a press conference on Monday. “Then had the intelligence to back it up and we got along pretty well when I met him. It was a great fit for us at Mississippi State and I thought we worked really well together.”

The hire came to fruition the following year when Diaz went to Mississippi State. Diaz then went to Texas two years later and then Louisiana Tech before Mullen and Diaz were reunited at Mississippi State in 2015.