Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Offensive line returnees in 2019

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Dec 30, 2018.

1. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I'm glad we have upper classmen. Imagine starting mostly freshmen.

2. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Takes time for an offensive line to gel. But the one luxury we'll have that we haven't had in the recent past, is the guys will be physically ready to compete. Tougher to coach around limited physical ability than technique and scheme.

3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I think he's going to study kinesiology. Pretty good choice for an athlete and a good post-grad premed track for orthopedics, sports or physical medicine.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton

• Like Like x 2
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Can’t wait to see what Savage can do for our OL that spend 3 years with him

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    If the ‘19 Gator OL is just serviceable, you won’t have to wait for year 3 to judge he and Heavesy’s accomplishments. Work ‘em silly Savage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Didnt McCoy transfer?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Unfortunately yes

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

funny line

10. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    TBF to him. He had a lot of body sculpting to do when he arrived that kept his feet from being quick. He was known to be a project but with a good pedigree.
    Coaches have spoken out that they were high on him last year but had options in front of them they couldn't sit (players certain to be drafted).

Maybe behind Buchanan he is our most obvious starter on the OL (excluding Heggie and Banks because of injuries).

11. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Forsythe got meaningful time last season, and most of what I’ve read pegs him as a likely starter at tackle. If he is as bad as you suggest, I doubt that would be the case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Taylor picked Delance as the player most likely to replace him at RT.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    I was optimistic about the OL, until I started to document this with a friend.

We have 6 players returning with any experience:

Buchanan - SR
    Banks - SR (seems to have a serious injury)
    Forsythe - JR
    Heggie - JR
    Delance - JR
    Moore - SO

And then 10 Freshmen (7 true, 3 redshirt).

We NEED 5 of the 10 freshmen (if Banks is hurt; 4 otherwise) just to fill out a 2 deep, and considering some OL are coming off injuries in HS - and that some won't enroll until the Fall - I think we'll be alarmingly short on experience and depth in 2019.

Thoughts?

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    From TOS:

*** The early status of the offensive line ***
    Banks' presence or lack thereof could be a big factor for an offensive line that has to replace four veteran starters. At the very least, even if he wouldn't have been a starter, he would have been the Swiss Army knife of sorts on the line, capable of playing guard, tackle or possibly even center in a pinch.

That's a role that Tyler Jordan filled last year and Florida hoped to have Banks in this year prior to the medical issues.

Without Banks, there aren't any real clear-cut options to flip from tackle to guard in a pinch.

In any case, the first-team offensive line on Tuesday from left to right was: Stone Forsythe, Brett Heggie, Nick Buchanan, Chris Bleich and Jean Delance. The second-team offensive line was Richard Gouraige, Ethan White, Tanner Rowell, T.J. Moore and Michael Tarquin. On the third team, freshman Kingsley Eguakun trained at center, while freshman William Harrod was at right guard.

Of note, White flipped between left guard and left tackle later in the practice with the backups. Moore also worked some at right tackle at one point.

Tarquin looked the most capable of the true freshmen, with White struggling a bit in his first college practice against the likes of Jabari Zuniga and Tedarrell Slaton.

Meanwhile, Rowell had some major issues snapping the ball, not at all unexpected for a defensive tackle converted to center for spring practice. Florida needs redshirt freshman Griffin McDowell(scooter accident, out for spring) back in a hurry to ensure it has some depth at center.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    I believe that though he redshirted, Bleich got in some games (Charleston Southern, Colorado State, Idaho Michigan), while Griffin McDowell only got into Charleston Southern and Idaho, same as T.J. Moore did, who you listed. Btw enjoy seeing Michigan in that group.

Noted though that true freshmen will have to step up for injuries.

16. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Happy to hear that Delance is making strides. He was a top recruit to Texas, sat out his transfer year and did relatively nothing in 2018. To be fair, he has had 3 line coaches in three years, but as a redshirt junior, it is his time to shine

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Not confirmed, but I read somewhere that Banks' problem triggered vertigo related and there is some uncertainty about his future.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Seizures where source has not yet been determined

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Plus when we go to our five tight ends sets we’ll murderlize them

20. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    Really wish McCoy had not transferred if we are that shallow at center.

• Agree Agree x 1