Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Offensive line returnees in 2019

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Dec 30, 2018.

1. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I also posted this on the Taylor departure thread, but thought it was worthwhile of its own discussion.

This is who we have returning after removing the 4 departing starters and Harkless.

At first glance, I suspect Buchanan will remain at center with Heggie at one guard and Forsythe at one tackle.

For the FSU depth chart at least, Banks was listed as Taylor's backup while Bleich was a second string guard. McCoy was our starting center for awhile, but I suspect, he will be looking at a guard spot as well as Buchanan's backup.

Gators Release Depth Chart for Florida State Game - Florida Gators

55 Noah Banks OL 6-5 309 R-Jr. Pensacola, Fla. / West Florida Tech
    56 Jean Delance OL 6-4 313 R-So. Mesquite, Texas / North Mesquite
    59 T.J. McCoy OL 6-1 305 R-Jr. Clermont, Fla. / South Lake
    61 Brett Heggie OL 6-4 314 R-So. Mount Dora, Fla. / Mount Dora
    62 Griffin McDowell OL 6-3 295 Fr. Leesburg, Ga. / Lee County
    66 Nick Buchanan OL 6-3 291 R-Jr. Dunwoody, Ga. / Dunwoody
    67 Christopher Bleich OL 6-6 321 Fr. Hanover Township, Pa. / Wyoming Valley West
    70 Tanner Rowell OL 6-2 283 R-So. Melbourne, Fla. / Melbourne
    71 Nick Villano OL 6-3 290 R-Jr. Wellington, Fla. / American Heritage
    72 Stone Forsythe OL 6-7 323 R-So. Winter Garden, Fla. / West Orange
    75 T.J. Moore OL 6-5 300 R-Fr. Charlotte, N.C. / Mallard Creek
    76 Richard Gouraige OL 6-4 303 Fr. Tampa, Fla. / Cambridge Christian

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    I like that we have been able to red-shirt last years kids and we will be able to do it again this year. That gets these kids a year in the system to learn the plays and learn the college game (speed of the game). I think we will be solid next year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. oneatatime

Apr 19, 2007
    Ideally, you don't want to play your offensive linemen until they are in their third year at the collegiate level (red shirt sophomores). I also hope we can redshirt the majority of our incoming linemen

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Would like to see Slayton move over to the OL if he is not going to see the field on D. He was highly rated an an OL. Hevesy will earn his $’s over the next 12 months for sure. A grad transfer or two might be in order to allow 3-4 of the incoming freshmen to be ready in ‘20.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    We are going to need about half the incoming frosh to provide depth and play some while the others will redshirt

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I'm glad you pointed that out; I was about to say the same thing.
    If you look at perennial powers over the decades, you'll see that the offensive lines are usually juniors and seniors. The top programs don't plug in true freshmen, and if you have to it's not a good sign. Offensive line play requires strength and conditioning, technique, learning the reads, and playing as a unit, and all of those take time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Is Forsythe really "down" to 323 lbs?...did he lose a leg or something? Wasnt the guy pushing like 380 at one point?

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Ahh fsu game. Good times.

Oline will be the big unknown. I'll play the "trust Hevesy" card and the second-year-under-Savage improvement. New starters being familiar with the scheme will help also. The main thing will be getting some time under fire together to bond and gel. Might have to call games a bit different to start the season next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    He got "Savaged" : )

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    We lose a lot of starting experience on the OL. Think there was a big drop off between starters and 2nd string. We need Bleich, who might be strongest guy on OL, and King Rich to really step up. May also need some of true freshman to excel like a Reggie Green and get starter or backup minutes. Will Delance ever reach his potential after transfer from Texas? Worried about tackle positions and ability to block rush ends the most. Lose 3 senior TEs as well. Not sure about that position from a blocking perspective. Scarlett and Perine were best at picking up blitz. Will one of them be back? Will Jefferson be back? The only WR that was a great route runner and created separation with his technique

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. oneatatime

Apr 19, 2007
    Unlike the DL where we rotate up to a dozen guys, I didn't see 2nd stringers on the OL while the game was competitive, including Heggie.

Coaches had some nice things to say about Richard Gouraige (King Rich?). We definitely need help at the tackle position.

Good points about the senior tight ends, running backs and wide receivers. It could limit our ability to go to 5 wide

12. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    POSSIBLE first string:

LT : Forsythe 6-7 330 upperclassman/Gouraige 6-4 303
    LG: Heggie 6-3 317 upperclassman
    C: Buchannon 6-2 301 (2018 starter) upperclassman
    RG: Bleich 6-6 313
    RT: Banks 6-7 305 upperclassman

Only possible 4 star starters would be Gouraige and Banks. The other possible starting OLs are upperclassmen which is a good thing. Our OL will not be outstanding but solid. Forsythe is a big upperclassman but don't know if he is quick enough for SEC DEs. Bleich is young but strong.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Delance was a 4 star at Texas before transfer to UF. I think TJ Moore May have been as well. Have not shown us much however

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    The gators will go only as far as this unit takes us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Heggie and Buchanan will have to lead. Heggie is an all-sec player when healthy right now.

Gouriage and Forsythe will have to be huge. No one will replace Taylor but Forsythe will not be a big change from Ivey in fact I think he will surprise. Bleich is another that will surprise. He’s ready now. A very very tough kid. Developing a second team may be challenge.

I know we have McCoy, Banks, Moore, DeLance but those guys need minutes minus McCoy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    OT Forsythe is a big OL and has been at UF for a while. Speed is my concern with him. Bleich has the strength, speed is my only concern with him. Gouraige has speed but needs to develop more strength.

We are bringing in 4 freshman FOUR star OLs who are not high 4 star OLs like Gouraige was (who redshirted).

17. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    I think we should be fine in run blocking. Pass blocking on the outside would be my concern at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Mullen: It's time to take strength and conditioning to the next level.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's why I put possible 4 star starters as have not heard much on Moore/Delance. Do you think Moore and Delance can provide solid depth? Delance in high school was looking at med school which likey means he is smart but I don't know how strong he cuurrently is just that he is working hard which is good.

20. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Good part is we do have 4 possible upperclassmen starters and OL size is not an issue. Most of the upperclassmen were 3 star recruits.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1