Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Offensive line play

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thekentuckygator, Aug 24, 2019.

1. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    We had a lot of issues tonight but the offensive line wasn’t one. Considering their inexperience I thought they played pretty good.

Franks played like a true freshman at times and a seasoned starter at others.

Tackling plain sucked.

Safety is an issue.

Our secondary played lethargic and rarely played through the whistle.

Despite all that, we won and the Oline was a big part of that. Franks had time. He just didn’t use it.

It’s a win. Go Gators.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I thought they played well. I look forward to their progression throughout the season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pas protection was great, run protection not as much.
    But for their first game together it was solid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    As most people thought, we kept the passing plays close to the LOS to negate any OL issues. Same as last year.

And we had 52 yards rushing, and somewhere towards the end of 1st/beginning of the 2nd we had 40. So we really struggled running the ball.

So not too fast on complimenting the OL - we have a long way to go.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I felt we played tight and tense

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think Franks didn't expect the Miami defense to play better than our scout team. They were fast and nasty. Very few times any of our receivers were wide open. I watched Miami's QB stare down his 1st receiver and complete the throw because he was wide open. #9 was wide open for most of the game while Jefferson had a defender tethered to his waste most of the game.

7. shaun10

shaun10 Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure I agree with the first two posts. Run blocking was pitiful. Pass blocking was ok. Watch film, keep practicing, and hopefully they improve their execution as the season goes on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    Solid first effort.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    OL played well for as green as it is, but not well by any objective measure.

Should get better moving forward, but not going to round into a strength in the near term as some hoped.

Skill guys in the backfield cleaning up their play would be helpful to everyone involved.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    They did well. Considering that we didn’t use our receivers hardly. Miami knee it was Perine or Toney. Both of whom did the best they could with what they had.

Perine was bottled up and we had a hard time establishing a run game because they knew it was coming every damn play. So when Miami stacks the box because your not throwing that’s what you get.

Franks had a bad night at best and it wasn’t because of the Oline. Again, he had time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    A youg offensive line in their first start against a tough Miami front line. Some of your expectations are way off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. 32250Gator

32250Gator GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2013
    Thought they did pretty well in pass protection for their first game. Run blocking was not good. UF needs to be able to run the zone read & inside trap plays to have the type of season everyone expects. Tonight neither play worked. OL is going to be a work in progress for the next couple months.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    I don't think "well" describes anything related to the OL. They were adequate at best - on passing. And atrocious on running.

I understand your point that we're not a threat to pass (that hurts the scheme), but we missed many blocks and assignments.

Now, while I don't think Miami D's is very good (we scored 24 despite 4 TO's and poor overall play), they are experienced up the middle....so this was a good measuring stick to start the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    tight is right, plain vanilla play calling, till late in the second half. Running when they stacked the line play after play. put Felipe under pressure every time he threw. dan can call plays better than that. I feel we overlooked them from the beginning. Miami brought it all game. Felt like we were going through the motions through three quarters.
    the refs could called holding on their OT’s, every passing play with our rushing DE’s. I wonder where those zebras came from. I am glad we won but we have a lot to work on and a very tough schedule and a top ten ranking everyone can shoot for. I am hoping for great improvement and a great season. But as always it is great to be, a Florida Gator!
    College football down south is war.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. atlmover

atlmover All American

Feb 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Our inexperienced online played about 9 to 10 times better than Miami's inexperienced online.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Noah_Brindise

Noah_Brindise Sophomore

Oct 28, 2014
    Franks seems to panic when the 1st/2nd guy isn't open which makes the oline looks worse. They weren't great but provided enough time to make something happen. We're gonna have to make quick throws this season to set up the run game, it worked to an extent early last season.

17. sleeze

sleeze GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    South GA
    The line played good considering it was supposed to be are weakest position group. Pass pro was good against a very good Dline. Franks still had adequate time to make a good decision with the football. Of course he still needs work on that part. But the oline could not open up any holes for the run game.

Also w/o looking at film I suspect miami's LBs had a lot to do with them slowing our run game down and the rushing lanes being closed off. I think their front 7 will be one of the most talented we play all season.

18. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    The Oline gave Franks time to throw most of the time. Our receivers were covered all night which put Franks in brain lock. I don't recall a single screen pass or reverse called all night but maybe I missed it. Anyway, Mullen is going to have to make the passing game as simple as possible for Franks and take most of the decision making off his shoulders. He's a terrific athlete but not a quick thinker. I don't think you can fix that.

19. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Played better than miamis o line at least. Thought Frank's should have kept the ball on a couple of those stuffed running plays. Have to watch replay before I comment much further tho.

20. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Legend

Aug 11, 2010
    Our OL played well enough that we’re criticizing the play of other areas of our team.

• Winner Winner x 1