Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Off-Season: Things I Miss About Gainesville...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by BobK89, Apr 19, 2019.

1. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    85-90 and most have been hit up but no mention of Club Lido or Mr. Han. Also, there was an after hours bottle club downtown that would be open all night after the bars closed but can't remember the name of it if anyone can.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rustygator79

rustygator79 Freshman

May 29, 2011
    99-2003
    Salty Dog
    The Shamrock open mic night
    JP Gators
    Sky Lounge
    So many good food places and fun to be had.

3. rowdyreptile4life

rowdyreptile4life Freshman

Jun 4, 2007
    b
    Bingo!! club lido was the one I couldn't remember

4. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

I remember going to a couple of cookouts a buddy of mine threw for some of the 2001-2002 Gators.. at the Windmeadows Apartments behind Butler Plaza.
    We went shopping at Publix. Holy crap! He had placed an order in advance... we filled our cart with 40 (yeah, forty) 1" thick bone-in Ribeye steaks, 7 dozen ears of corn, 20 Lbs of potatoes, onions, celery 10 Lbs of elbow macaroni.

I realized why he invited me... I had to make potato salad, macaroni salad, and have that ready, then we went outside, and he had two stockpots on burners for the corn, and had arranged 3 grills side by side.

I asked him, where are you going to seat 40 people? you only have seats for about 16, 20 at the most.

Then I saw who I was cooking for... Tommy Moody walked over, with Shannon Snell, Zac Zedalis and Mike Pearson.
    A few minutes later, Jonathon Colon and Max Starks appeared, then Guss Scott, Earnest Graham and Robert Gillespie..
    Ran Carthon and Ben Troupe, Andra Davis, Matt Farrior, Bobby McRae, Lito Sheppard, Robert Cromartie, Mike Nattiel and Alex Brown rounded out the group.

Needless to say,, I think we had 2 or 3 steaks left over, and a little of each salad. The corn was gone.

Between both sets of linemen, LB's, etc. they ate! Lito surprised me.. he threw down two steaks, andI don't know how many ears of corn!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    lol, could've been me. Funny how easily I could be found there & lured to The Sportsman's Lounge for a drink or three (on 5 for 1 nights).

• Like Like x 1
  6. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    • Hare Krishna's - vegetarian lunch in the Plaza (though I tried it only once, a buddy ate it every day) & their chanting.
    • Meal card & all-you-can-eat at Hume (yes, I ate THAT instead of Krishna food).
    • Leigh 207 (okay, didn't really miss it. Back in the day it was big & imposing ).
    • Making sangria to haul to the Plaza to watch the Brother Jed and Sister Cindi show.
    • Jumping the fence at night to swim in the pool under Yon Hall.
    • Pickup basketball games at Florida Gym.
    • Cliff-diving into limestone quarries at night (some might've been high).
    • Pin Pan Alley (at the time I didn't know I had ADHD & that was almost an addiction).

• Like Like x 1
  7. gypsygator

gypsygator Recruit

Feb 3, 2010
    The old bridge to Crescent Beach , I think it had a string of light bulbs at night. The secret Rock Beach ..

8. gatorjerry

gatorjerry Freshman

Oct 18, 2015
    I got married in 1967 and lived a couple of blocks from Doug's Dairy Twirl. We walked there a lot in the evenings for cones.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  9. gatorjerry

gatorjerry Freshman

Oct 18, 2015
    Met my wife in the College Inn, June 1966, got married December 1967, lived at 1914 NW 9th Street, walked to Doug's Dairy Twirl.

10. gatorjerry

gatorjerry Freshman

Oct 18, 2015
    I have lived next to the San Felasco Hammock for 35 years.

• Like Like x 2
  11. gatorjerry

gatorjerry Freshman

Oct 18, 2015
    Steamer's

12. gatorjerry

gatorjerry Freshman

Oct 18, 2015
    Original Sonny's is still there. Went back for their 50th Anniversary Specials last fall for some Nostalgia and their food was terrible. All the recipes have changed since they became corporate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Big agree on that one. I've ate at over 20 Sonny's over the years across the state. Since they went corporate nothing has been worth the same. If you want a similar feeling to the way Sonny's use to be, try stopping in Hawthorne at Diane's BBQ. She is Sonny's daughter and still keeps some memorabilia on the walls. Most of the food is the way it used to be. Bathrooms are pretty sketchy but should make most old Floridians feel at home.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Well, you answered that question well. Welcome to the board

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 183gator

183gator Junior

Nov 17, 2010
    Nichol's Alley - wow, remember walking in there for the first time, don't remember walking out

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    You talking about the one on Waldo Rd. or south on 441?

17. 183gator

183gator Junior

Nov 17, 2010
    For those of you that were '79-'83 - thank you for the walk down memory lane.
    One place I didn't see was Chelsea's in the Oaks Mall and there was a home-made ice cream place in Butler Plaza, cannot remember name ? Had a room mate who used to deliver for them and right before closing I would go in we'd
    package up a bunch of ice cream and deliver to sororities, always got us in the door. Those were good days, oh to be young again.

18. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    If you like old memories, you might like this:[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Doug's Dairy Twirl was excellent! They did a hot fudge milkshake that was to DIE FOR!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. gatorjerry

gatorjerry Freshman

Oct 18, 2015
    Original Sonny's is on Waldo Road, opened in 1968. Lunch special was $1. I ate there in 1968 and many years after but no more, the food is terrible in all Sonny's now. After Sonny sold the Gainesville stores, he kept the one in Alachua and that one was good because he had long time employees cooking the food. But he sold that one and now it is not any good either. Current Corporate Sonny's is good at advertising, bad at making barbeque. Their recipes for baked beans, potato salad, cole slaw suck. By the way I was at Sonny's on South 441 years ago with my family, and guess who was across the divider in the booth on the other side. Dale Brown and his band of LSU basketball players, including Shaquille O'Neal. They said they always eat at that Sonny's when they come to Gainesville for a basketball game at UF. Dale was lecturing his players about philosophy, Socrates, that kind of stuff.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1