Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ocean City, Maryland...

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by ArtVandelay, Aug 9, 2018.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Headed there next week for Family Vacation. Any favorite things to do or places to eat? I have a lot already, but wanted to know if anyone here has been there personally.

2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Go out to Assateague Island and find the wild ponies out there and maybe get a chance to swim with them

• Like Like x 1
  3. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Almost ANY restaurant right on the water is gonna offer some nice, huge, freshly caught Maryland Blue Crabs!

Order a bunch of steamed crabs WITH the Old Bay Seasoning!

Perhaps get some steamed clams, or raw on the half shell!

Don't go the "tourists" way by ordering Snow Crab legs (flash frozen from Alaska) or Dungeness crab (Pacific crab) The Maine Lobster IS fresh from Maine, but, Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab is King!

If you're lucky, they might have some soft-shelled crab. If so, order a few sauteed (preferably" or fried in a sandwich.... Unique, as you eat the entire crab, shell, legs, claws and all!

• Like Like x 1
  4. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    That is on my list, but I think it's not the right season for it. We will definitely check it out. All of the people I spoke with recommended it.

Thanks!

5. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Big fan of soft shell. I get spider rolls for sushi all the time.

Thanks!

6. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    yep but you dont get to actually swim with the ponies, just watch them. And you missed it. The swim happened maybe 2 weeks ago.

7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Ponies are there year round so don't think there is a ,"season"

8. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    In the 70's Trucker's late brother David and family lived in Severna Park, Maryland and frequently dined at a restaurant in Annapolis that was famous for its large Maryland Blue crabs. One evening when dining there with his family, they received a platter of what David described as the biggest crabs he had ever seen. H-u-g-e. They were impressed with the size and after eating them placed a second order that soon arrived. David said the crabs in this subsequent order were big, but were not nearly as large as the crabs in the first order.

Not complaining, but curious, he asked the waitress why the crabs in his 2nd order were not as large as those in his first. He said she looked embarrassed and told David to look towards a table in the corner of the restaurant where the governor of Maryland at the time - Marvin Mandrel - was sitting with his party enjoying a platter of H-U-G-E crabs. The waitress informed David his table had by mistake received the large crabs intended for the governor, and the governor had received David's first order.

David, a strong Republican was delighted he could say he had gotten the Democrat governor's crabs that night.

• Like Like x 3
  9. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Maybe I read it wrong. I think there is a season for riding the horses. Still would be cool to see them.

"In the summer and early fall, horseback riding is not permitted in the Maryland portion of Assateague Island National Seashore due to the presence of biting insects known to spread disease, including: Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE), Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) and West Nile Virus (WNV)."

10. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think some context is needed when talking horses. The 'wild' horses of Assateague can't be ridden by anyone, even outside of summer and early fall. They're called wild for a reason. In july a group of these horses are gathered up and 'swim' over to be auctioned off to people. Regular horseback riding (on horses that you bring with you) or 'local' horses that have been trained can occur outside of the summer and early fall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. LeafUF

LeafUF GC Hall of Fame

May 1, 2007
    Wandering
    Never made it to Ocean City. When I lived in the area we went to Dewey Beach. Of course, Dewey is a much different vibe and definitely not family friendly.