Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Obama's eulogy for John Lewis

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jul 30, 2020.

1. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    John Lewis' life was about stirring up what he called, "good trouble." It was 100% appropriate for President Obama to eulogize Lewis in this way and take the opportunity to carry Lewis' torch and stir up more good trouble. What Lewis can no longer do in life, Obama did for him.

Those on the right have never liked Lewis' good trouble. It's never the right time or message to deliver according to them. The reality is, the right doesn't like the spotlight the good trouble shines upon them. Yesterday was no different.

Carry on, President Obama. With Lewis gone, we need more people to stir up good trouble, and to take every opportunity available to do so.

• Winner x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    1. Trump talking shit is a bug, not a feature.

2. Many of the current PEACEFUL (not the looters, rioters, and anarchists) protests would be fine in my book provided that they are not disrupting traffic, or if they are, the event is coordinated with the city... and if we weren't in the middle of a pandemic... I also have no problem with the MLB tribute BEFORE the national anthem protesting police brutality and systemic racism.

Don't conflate disagreement with the method of protest with disagreement with the message of the protest. I disagree that America as a whole is systemically racist and that police departments are systemically racist... I disagree with disbanding the nuclear family. In terms of method of protest, I'm not a fan of kneeling during the anthem or disrupting activities for others like stopping traffic (unless it's coordinated and prepared for with the city) or protesting during a health crisis. But if you want to peacefully protest outside a government building... Hell if you're a student... just outside your school... or before the national anthem at a sporting event as MLB did... knock yourself out...

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    ...and the Left is never comfortable with any Pub in power.

Note all the love Bush is getting in this thread. L.M.A.O.!

Sure, he's Ex-POTUS now; wields no power. Now he's lovable.

Dude was Satan incarnate to the Left, including so many pretenders here today, gushing over him today, when he actually was in power....

(Can't wait to hear all the love and nostalgia for Trump, 10 years after he's gone from office....).

Of course there is. It's called 'the stump'; i.e., the campaign trail.

Actually, no. Sports is what we go to, to get away from this shit, not to have it mashed up in our faces.

Hey, it is what it is. Most of the Left these days are atheists, so ain't no God to answer to, ain't no hell to worry about...may as well hoist the corpse and get whatever use you can out of it, before it starts to rot and smell, right?

Just don't lecture us, on class.

Because here's where y'all showed your asses--about a dead black guy, in the wake of y'all wagging your fingers and lecturing everyone about how 'black lives matter' so much:

Herman Cain Passed Away | Swamp Gas Forums

Guess he wasn't quite black enough to matter.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was well aware of that but thanks for the history lesson anyway. It is a fact though that Lewis boycotting the inauguration could easily have been taken as a sign of disrespect and on top of that it is also fact that Bush and Lewis disagreed on many issues.

I guess giving credit to a man for doing the right thing yesterday (that many others in Washington would not have done) gets you upset, I assume, because Bush is a republican.

• Like Like x 3
  5. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Wow. Stopped reading after seeing this post. John Lewis was one of the original 13 freedom riders. He was beaten by a policeman with a billy club for defending civil rights - all with the encouragement of people like George Wallace and Bull Conner. John Lewis bled to advance this country and gave every day of his life to equality. He specifically wrote an editorial to be published in the NY Times on the day of his funeral! Read it: Opinion | John Lewis: Together, You Can Redeem the Soul of Our Nation. He was not interested in the fight stopping.

John Lewis never brought up hate or division and neither did Obama in this speech. They only fought it. You confuse (perhaps purposefully) fighting evil with being evil.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Omg these arguments are hilarious. You shouldn't protest at sporting events because that is your safe space to get away?

And then of course, yes please protest, but do so in a way that doesn't inconvenience anyone... lol...

And hey, talking about this at a black man's funeral but not at another black man's funeral is classless! LOL!

George W Bush sucked. He sucked bad. He lied to the american people, took us into an expensive war that cost us lives and hurt the economy and served almost no long term strategy.

So, it should tell you something, that a man we all really despised 15 years ago is now being looked upon favorably because of how utterly rotten the current administration is.

And yes, if you vote for trump, you deserve to be lectured on "class."

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Essentially what it boils down to is this---literal facts are bad. Alternative facts are good.

A person speaks the truth about what is happening today in this country and compares it to what happened 50 years ago and is called unfair.

And I find it very hard to imagine that anyone can seriously say there are not several classes of people who are being oppressed this very moment in this country.

• Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    "Federal government sending agents to use tear gas and batons against peaceful demonstrators."

This is a factually incorrect statement. The federal government sent agents to use force on violent protesters, looters, and rioters... not peaceful protesters.

The premise that America is systemically racist in 2020 may be one that you believe, but it doesn't change the fact that it is disputed and a political point...

Comparing America today to George Wallace, Bull Connor, and Birmingham, Alabama in the 1960s is probably even less reasonable than me comparing Obama to Fidel Castro for calling for universal healthcare, and similar left-leaning welfare policies and rhetoric...

Yet, you'd probably give me crap for that...

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    1. Do you go to sporting events to be lectured on your politics? Would you welcome pro-lifers hoisting pictures of mutilated babies, to remind you of what really matters, when you're just trying to take in a Gators game?

2. Barry sucked, Sucked badly. He kept his knee on the nation's throat for 8 years, kept the economy from doing what it always does when it crashes--RECOVER. He's who gave us Donald J. Trump, POTUS, whatever you want to think of him. C'est la vie.

3. It tells me a bunch of lefties on here are trying to offer an olive branch so that their counterparts on the right will reciprocate, and take it easy on their beloved Barry. Besides being transparently insincere...no thanks. Not interested. Bash away at Bush and Trump, we'll continue to bash away at Barry and Billy bob.... round and round we go...

4. Re. Trump/deserving to be lectured on class--Perhaps...just not by y'all.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree on Gore's selective recount efforts.

But there was never a true recount, which is what the Supreme Court should have mandated, instead of their convoluted nonsensical use of the Equal Protection Clause to prevent a true recount.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I don't think anybody needs lectures on class from you...

You may be fine with people blocking roads preventing good and normal people from getting to work or just going on about their lives... but I'm not... Not cool.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. FeeBart

FeeBart I like When Gators Hit People! VIP Member Trusted GC Insider

Oct 20, 2013
    The above is completely garbage! The statements mischaracterizes what we have video evidence of. I guess The moms and vet committing no crime deserved to be pepper sprayed and beaten?

Yes In 2020 there is systemic racism as no wants to have the hard conversation but obfuscate facts not in question.

We are Comparing Trumps to Wallace and Conner As their rhetoric of racial arson is indistinguishable.At least Nixon was discrete about his outside voice.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Next time a BLM member wants to protest, they should make sure to check your schedule so you won't be inconvenienced. Sound good to you? Of course, this completely undermines the reason for the protest, which is what you want. Next time, please be honest.

What metric was worse than when Obama left office then when he entered? Unemployment? Economic growth? Deficit spending? The post 2010 economic recovery was never going to be fast with huge growth. We're a mature economy, and even Trump increasing spending by billions hasn't moved the needle one iota from Obama's growth rates. Blame Obama all you want, but where's the 5% growth rate Trump promised? Probably buried in the desert with the 100s of miles of wall Trump promised.

Not offering an olive branch, but just giving an honest take on W. He wasn't a great President, but at least his heart was always in the right place. W. always did what he thought was best for the country, which is a far cry from Trump, who only does what is best for Trump. Given the two choices, we'd take W. Given a third choice that includes someone who's heart is in the right place and has policies we agree with, we'd dump both W. and Trump in less than a heartbeat.

Trump has no class, and he'd never listen to anyone lecture him about it. He thinks he knows it all already.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  14. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I'm not saying nothing bad has happened to truly peaceful protesters. I'm saying that's not why federal agents were deployed, which would make Obama's statement, false.

Federal agents attacking truly peaceful protesters is simply an image of imperfection and the flawed nature of federal agents and police forces... I still don't think that's the story... the story is looters, rioters, anarchists, and violent protesters being so out of control, that we needed to bring in federal agents to manage the situation as best as possible...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

When my son, who is black, gets pulled over 25 times in one year by different jurisdictions and no tickets or warnings are issued--there is systemic racism.

When he gets pulled over by a cop who turns his lights on, does a u-turn, pulls him over for expired plates (the lights came on before he could see the plate with the sticker--which was not out of date), and runs the dogs because he saw something in the floorboard--there is systemic racism.

As far as the federal agents--so Lafayette Square didn't happen?

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    For some people, there is never a good time to bring up equality. It says more about those people and their beliefs than anything else.
    Not surprising, they seem to support trump.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    If Cotton or Cruz ever become President we may long for the days of trump. trump is a kid playing with matches; what happens when a seasoned arsonist is in charge?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  18. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Cons who are offended by Obama's eulogy are the same people who were offended when Obama said that if he had a son, he would look like Trayvon Martin. These people are going to be offended at anything a black man says about race.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Racist cops does not prove systemic racism... I believe there are definitely racist cops out there... Also anecdotes are not really compelling evidence, but you're more than welcome to use your experiences to help shape your opinions.

We all do the same thing...

Also, see post #94 for your second point...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I like what Thomas Sowell and Larry Elder have to say about race... Because I think they're right about 90% of the time...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1