Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Obama and wife use portrait artist who shows black women holding severed white heads

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_fever, Feb 12, 2018.

1. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    ...and? I'm sure there are different styles of presidential portraits all over the place. Nothing wrong with that. But until now, the "official portraits" in the National Portrait Gallery followed a pattern of not having outlandish, computer-generated backgrounds that distracted from the image of the president to the point of literally swallowing him up and making a mockery of the concept.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Having a bunch of disconnected hands around you is a little more distracting IMO. Different strokes, I guess. Whats wrong with doing something a little different?

3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Like it or not, people are held to different standards. I guess that's the cross white men have to bear.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Personally, I hope these make Trump's short list:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes racists and segregationists alike make the mistake of judging people by the color of their skin. Doesn't mean it's justifiable, but you are right, it does happen.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatornana

gatornana Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ever since George Washington became President in 1789, the presidency has been a major focus of American political life, and as with nearly everything associated with that office, presidential portraits have from the outset attracted considerable popular interest. There was, in fact, a time when painted, sculpted or engraved likenesses were the only means that most people knew their Presidents. In the case of Washington, there were even sporadic debates through much of the nineteenth century over which portrait had most accurately recorded him for posterity.

It is no surprise, then, that presidential portraiture has been a major collecting concern at the National Portrait Gallery ever since it opened its doors in 1968. The media for presidential imagery has ranged everywhere from the traditional oil-on-canvas and marble to cotton handkerchiefs and sewing-box lids, and the Gallery houses today a richly varied array of presidential likenesses. In the selection of portraits on view here, some are more sophisticated and striking than others; some are quite rare or altogether unique; some are calculated to impress us with their gravity while others are warmly intimate. Taken collectively, however, they all have one thing in common: In one degree or another, they all evoke the history of the nation's highest office and the individuals who have occupied it.

You can check the other portraits here:

http://npg.si.edu/portraits/collection-highlights/presidential-portraits

This is Gerald Ford's:

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. G. Gordon Gator

May 3, 2017
    I ask the same question all the time, about our great President's "new presidential" communication style.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Gerald Ford looks like a potato.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I do not have a problem with the portraits-I just find it amusing that former prezbo looks like he is taking a dump

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    My issue with this artist is very similar to an issue I have with a lot of "black power" (if you will) advocates. I understand the one of the points the artist is trying to put across. Challenging societies traditional notion of what is beautiful or what not.

However, my issue is that far too often we don't see the elevation of one come with a message of inclusion but rather complete destruction of the old. In this case a very horrific and graphic depiction of that idea.

That message is destructive, divisive, and any artist who utilizes that concept should not have been chosen by the president of the united states.

but it's Obama and he can surround himself with all the racists he wants, say as many divisive things he wants and his supporters will never consider any of it to be what it truly is.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Not a fan of either portrait. As someone else pointed out, Obama looks too dour and her portrait doesn't look enough like her. As art, they're good. But not as portraits.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Being an asshole isn't anything new.

13. G. Gordon Gator

May 3, 2017
    Yes, the National Portrait Gallery collection includes multiple portraits of many of the presidents, in different mediums. For example, they have these Woodburytypes of Obama, by artist Chuck Close. But the designated "official portrait" is the one unveiled yesterday.

[​IMG]

14. G. Gordon Gator

May 3, 2017
    Either are ridiculous-looking Photoshopped portraits.

15. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    I don't think Wiley hates Carravagio. Some might consider it homage rather than "complete destruction." Besides, I don't think any museum is going to burn their Carravagio's because Obama's portrait artist once subverted/copied some of the Biblical themes of classical portraiture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Obama's is interesting to me. I don't like Michelle's. Her dress looks like a twister mat. But different strokes and all.

17. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    sounds like you are talking about hillary and thankfully she did not get elected

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Obviously not a fan of obozo or his wife, but if we are having Presidential portraits done, at least the painter could do a better job. These are God awful!! Did a decent job on obozo, but that background makes me want to fire up a weed eater and get to work. Michelle's doesn't even look like her.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

Not sure I agree with the evaluation that his works are a homage to Carravagio.

But taking what you're saying as fact. What its saying is that the artist is not only morally lacking but also creatively......and when the quality of the composition is compared to Carravagio's work, it also reveals a discrepancy in artistic talent between the two artists.

20. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

Even taking out the background......the depiction of Obama is amateurish at best.