Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

O’rourke Announces

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by FearNoSpear, Mar 14, 2019.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I've heard people say that, but I don't see any chance it happens. I can't see the Dems running two white men. If Biden gets it, I imagine they'd run Stacey Abrams, Kamala Harris, or somebody along those lines as the VP. I think O'Rourke is more likely as VP if somebody like Klobuchar or Harris wins it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Donny Deutsch, retired ad executive and part-time MSNBC talking head has suggested the same. Deutsch is a branding expert and I tend to agree with him although in the current Democratic party, a woman or minority on the ticket may now be mandatory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    Whoever it is, it needs to be someone young and independently promising -- not another Tim Kaine.

One of Obama's big failures was not developing a succession plan. He ran on hope/change, but ended up relying very heavily on established names throughout his terms. Hillary and Kerry at State, Gates at DOD, Biden for VP, Pelosi in Congress.

I get that he wanted people with experience, but the party basically defaulted to Hillary after Obama because his "coaching tree" was more or less empty. He didn't groom anyone to carry the torch. If he had, I think we'd be in a third consecutive Democratic term, with a fourth probably on the way given the good economy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Agreed on everything. Hillary made a lot of huge mistakes, but picking milquetoast centrist Tim Kaine was one of the biggest. She needed to pick somebody dynamic and progressive. Hillary was just a terrible all around candidate.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007

I can’t see the dems with a ticket comprised of two white men. I think there will be two different sexes and at most, one “typical white person” on their ticket.

6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    After Beto O'Rourke announced that he was running Trump ridiculed Beto's use of hand gestures. Coming from this guy?

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Has he published an outline of those anywhere? I’m open minded and would love to read it.

I do seriously question how maintaining walls is more expensive than the manpower heavy approach we take now. I get there’s other technological approaches we could use like drones, etc but those are subject to the whims of future politicians who can flip a switch and the protections are gone. Walls don’t need move unless you tear them down.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    An outline of his explanation or the facts? On the facts, you just have to look it up, but this is a good article (with a lot of sources in it):
    No, border barrier did not bring down crime in El Paso

Maintaining walls is more expensive because you can't cut the manpower. The manpower-heavy approach is statistically the most effective deterrent. Going away from it in favor of walls would actually set back our border security. Simply put, walls/fences just aren't an effective measure. The most effective measure is putting USBP agents on the border, but that's difficult to do because of the size of the border. The reality of the situation is that we need comprehensive immigration reform if we want to address the problem. Trying to address border security without addressing the drivers of migration will only result in half measures. We'll never fully solve the problem, but there are certainly ways to improve things significantly.

9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    While there are sections of the border where a barrier significantly reduces illegal crossings for the most of the border the construction of a barrier and especially a concrete wall would be very wasteful and only marginally effective. Keep in mind that the construction of barriers began around 2000 with the construction of the fence in the San Diego/Tijuana sector and that 700 miles of fencing authorized under the Secure Fence Act of 2006 was constructed years ago. The only purpose constructing a wall now would be as a sop to Trump's supporters. For what it's worth, after pushing the narrative that a wall had to be a real concrete wall and nothing less Trump backed off a couple of months ago and said that a steel slat fence would be acceptable. Trump's declaration of a National Emergency as well as his proposal for a wall in the first place is nothing more than a political stunt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    O'Rourke would put Texas in play. California is deep blue, so Sen. Harris doesn't add much to the mix, IMO. By 2020, most people outside of Georgia will forget who Abrams is. Plus, if Biden gets the nom, I'm guessing that Pres. Obama will stump for him much more aggressively than he did for Sec. Clinton.

11. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    As a Presidential candidate, I think he does. As a VP candidate, it's a tougher call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Walls with autonomous sentry guns with overlapping fields of fire with the next gun down the line, and minefields on the Mexican facing side.

Eventually, robots. Although the robots might be overkill.

Strictly speaking, I'm not even sure a wall would be necessary. Just build towers for the sentry guns and put up some warning signs.

14. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    I'm envisioning something like this

15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Funny, but in terms of Beto's future as a candidate these real covers may be more accurate.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Nah, you don't want self aware robots that can kill. That's just a recipe for disaster. Autonomous sentry guns are bad enough, but at least they don't have ambition to be something more than what they are. At least not until a massive AI becomes self aware and reprograms all the computers on Earth to turn on us. Sort of like Maximum Overdrive, except technology based instead of supernatural.

Robopocalypse (Robopocalypse, #1) by Daniel H. Wilson

[​IMG]

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    The Terminator would likely agree. It is in our nature to destroy ourselves.

18. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Don't forget he played bass guitar in a punk band. That would hold special appeal to me, if they were good. They sucked so I'm supporting Harris.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    If Beto goes on a talk show like Clinton did, what song should he play bass on?

20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    He would be a savvy pick for almost anyone but Biden. Doesn't matter because I don't think Biden is going to be in it much past New Hampshire and Iowa. Biden's emergence in those states is due to demographics. Sanders' strong showing in New Hampshire is partly demographics but also familiarity. Sanders should remain strong throughout.

• Agree Agree x 2