Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

O’rourke Announces

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by FearNoSpear, Mar 14, 2019 at 7:55 PM.

1. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I think we can both agree on the fact that the national media’s dislike of Cruz, especially in left leaning publications, drove them to give Beto way, way more media coverage than you would expect for a long shot Senate candidate in Texas. The hate of Cruz on the left and the hope of seeing Beto pull a Scott Brown in Texas became the Left’s White Whale during the ‘16 election. All that media coverage allowed Beto to become a national fund raising giant, especially with out of state voters.

I get that there is hope he could catch fire like Obama did in ‘08 but what do you see as his path to the nomination?

He is also a furry.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The 2020 election is not going to revolve around who has the most spotless background.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yeah, no he isnt. Wearing a weird animal costume in a band on stage once is not the definition of that word. Yes, he was in a band with a guy who became a pretty famous musician who is a bit weird but very talented. A bit sad that the best that you have is parroting kind of desperate RNC talking points. I guess they worked on you, though.

Also, to your more substantive point, his in state fundraising was relatively much stronger than his out of state funding. He led the way in both for non-incumbents running from the house, but by a huge margin in in-state funding and a much smaller margin in out of state funding. So, no, Cruz and the national media aren't really the driving effects here.

Top In-State vs. Out-of-State | OpenSecrets

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 8:26 AM
  4. jmoliver

jmoliver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I am so over people running for president that have never held a job in private industry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. shaun10

shaun10 Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Well my health and my ability to legally defend myself are the two most important things to me, and neither need to be managed by a disfunctional government. I’ll have a tough time considering him for my vote.

6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I assume you applied the same criteria when you voted in 2000 and 2004 that you are suggesting should be applied to Beto O'Rourke.
    CNN.com - Bush acknowledges 1976 DUI charge - November 2, 2000

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It’s a joke. But if Beto becomes the nominee you better get use to Furry jokes.

Beto had a ridiculously amount of free media coverage in left leaning publications because the left wanted to Scott Brown Ted Cruz. Can you name me any other 3 term Congressman who had as many profiles and articles about him?

8. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wikipedia suggests that he has:

After graduation, O'Rourke worked as a live-in caretaker and art mover before working for an Internet service provider.[34][40] During this time, he questioned what he wanted to do with his career.[34] He later took a position at H. W. Wilson Company as a proofreader, and wrote short stories and songs in his free time.[23][34]

O'Rourke returned to El Paso in 1998.[41]O'Rourke wanted to address "brain-drain", or the exodus of youth caused by lack of opportunity.[34] The following year, he co-founded Stanton Street Technology Group, an Internet services and software company.[40][42]As of March 2017, his wife Amy operates the business.[43] For a few years, the company also published an online (and briefly print) newspaper, also called Stanton Street, that O'Rourke modeled on alternative periodicals like The Village Voice and New York Press.[34]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    Beto has held jobs in private industry. He even founded an IT company that his wife still operates.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that Bush's DUI, 24 years prior to the 2000 election should have been a factor in his fitness for office and neither should Beto's DUI 22 years prior to the 2020 election. Both men turned their lives around and their convictions shouldn't really be a factor in their presidential campaigns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. obgator

obgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s hilarious, these criticisms against Beto. Especially coming from those who think the current president is a paragon of virtue and are okay with the furry thing he wears on his head every day.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. staticgator

staticgator All American

Nov 27, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Wrong. However it’s not benefiting current loser.

14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Texas has been a white whale for Democrats for a long time. Democrats look at Texas demographically and are frustrated that it is not competitive. Essentially, if Hispanic voters in Texas regularly participated at the level that they do in other border states, Texas would politically be competitive. But they don't. Democrats have been forming initiatives to make this happen for a while. Beto campaigned well and started drawing some positive poll numbers. As soon as that happened, he was going to become popular on the left. What they were looking to do was not to pull a Scott Brown-style one-off upset. That was the strategy in Alabama. The goal of national interest in Beto's campaign was far more strategic and long-term. They are trying to convince a largely inactive voter base that there is a reason to participate.

15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That's simply incorrect. I was here in Texas during Beto's entire campaign. Beto started getting media coverage when the media started to realize that a fairly obscure guy was drawing huge crowds, generating a ton of enthusiasm, bringing in a lot of money from small donors, and closing the gap in a huge way in the polls on Cruz in a state nobody thought was in play. You're reversing the cause and effect here. It also didn't hurt him that he's a strong orator and a charismatic good-looking (for a politician) white guy preaching a message of unity and hope. I've heard a number of older people say that he reminds them of Bobby Kennedy. Hell, look at the media coverage he's getting now, and I expect him to continue get a lot of coverage during the primary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    The reality is any politician that blows up nationally has a feedback loop with the press. Beto attracts notice as an energizing guy that doesn't look like a push over for a red seat senate seat. The press takes notice and covers him a bit, exposing him to more people. Those new people like what they see, so he becomes more popular, and as a consequence the press covers him more. That goes around and around until he's a prominent figure nationally.

It happens with basically every nationally-recognized politician. No one just gets there on their own. But conversely, the press can't make someone get there on their on either. They can give coverage, but if people don't like what they see, there won't be enough interest to keep the feedback cycle going.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. docspor

docspor GC Legend

Nov 30, 2010
    Pretty sure he's angling for VP in this crowded field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I think he'd take it, but he has a very real chance at winning the primary. He's going to be a strong campaigner on the ground and Obama's people are backing him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    If Biden runs and gets the nom, O'Rourke would be a very savvy pick for Veep.

• Agree Agree x 4