Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NYT: FBI investigated whether Trump was working for Russia

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ursidman, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Possibly only a preliminary investigation but the firing of Comey for the reasons Trump stated precipitated the investigation. Not surprising. The man's behavior over the last several years suggests strongly that Trump, at the least, is deeply involved with criminal business transactions with Russian mobsters. Can you think of even one other sitting President who was investigated for being an asset of a adversarial foreign power? I can't.
    F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia

WASHINGTON — In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation.

The investigation the F.B.I. opened into Mr. Trump also had a criminal aspect, which has long been publicly known: whether his firing of Mr. Comey constituted obstruction of justice.

Agents and senior F.B.I. officials had grown suspicious of Mr. Trump’s ties to Russia during the 2016 campaign but held off on opening an investigation into him, the people said, in part because they were uncertain how to proceed with an inquiry of such sensitivity and magnitude. But the president’s activities before and after Mr. Comey’s firing in May 2017, particularly two instances in which Mr. Trump tied the Comey dismissal to the Russia investigation, helped prompt the counterintelligence aspect of the inquiry, the people said.

edit:Axios source to avoid paywall: NYT: FBI investigated whether Trump was secretly working for Russia after Comey firing

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    The people said.

Lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    They still are investigating.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Sarah Sanders stands by her man:
    This is absurd. James Comey was fired because he’s a disgraced partisan hack, and his Deputy Andrew McCabe, who was in charge at the time, is a known liar fired by the FBI. Unlike President Obama, who let Russia and other foreign adversaries push America around, President Trump has actually been tough on Russia.”
    — Press Secretary Sarah Sanders
    from the Axios article

LOL Sarah Sanders calling someone a partisan hack :emoji_joy: (hey Sarah, its in your job description)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    White House Press release called Comey a “disgraced partisan hack.” Of course, he is a Republican. Note the motivation behind going after the investigators. Very deep obstruction case here.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    The people said ______ ?

7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Hah! We are tough on Russia by letting them take over completely in Syria and abandoning our allies there. And, Trump laid the wood to Russia when he explained their presence in the Afghan war, went after Montenegro, accused Poland of aggression and in his comments on Belarus. And, the press conference im Helsinki was something to see!

• Like Like x 3
  8. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    The press conference in Helsinki shook me. That was when I knew something was most definitely up between Trump and Russia.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    He has not stopped. People stopped talking about what he said about Afghanistan etc. and ignored the Manafort revelation because of the shutdown. Helsinki was consistent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    All your President are belong to us.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Every time I hear Sarah Sanders defend Trump this image comes immediately to mind.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. fredsanford

fredsanford Premium Member

Dec 1, 2008
    The MSM failed us hard in 2015-6.

The seeds of all of this stuff were visible then.

14. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    He threw so much outrageous stuff out there that the media got lost in a blizzard of the easy stuff to criticize.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    Sounds like a smart plan by Trump.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah I’m still pretty bewildered by him and have little confidence that I actually know how he feels on anything except himself. Self aggrandization seems to be the one constant out of him.

• Like Like x 1
  17. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Felix Sater has an office in Trump Tower, too. The contacts Sater had with Cohen and others. A server on the building was on non stop contact with a server in a Russian bank. The Moscow Project. The Trump branding deals with Russian money all over the world. Kushner wanting to use Russian encryption for back channel communications. Flynn’s repeated contacts with Kislyak. Trump Tower meeting. Manafort giving the Russians camapign data. On and on it goes. The only way to conclude that there was no “collusion” or that the campaign did not conspire with the Russians is to think that these were all random or innocent or that the camapign was somehow insulated from everything else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Maybe, if it was a plan. I’ve seen him operate closely like everyone else for two years. I think he doesn’t really plan. Just kinda wings it and some stuff works out and some doesn’t.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, it is. Is it in the FBI Director’s job description?

20. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Comey was a republican ... part of the reason he believes he was fired was for refusing to take a "loyalty oath" to the new leader of his political party ... doesn't really sound like you are suggesting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1