Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NY cops retirement spike

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Orange_and_Bluke, Jun 30, 2020.

1. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Agreed. It’s the part of next wave of unemployment. Hopefully state and local governments put together thoughtful plans to smartly downsize; whether that’s law enforcement or elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Chicago to deploy 1,200 additional police officers over concerns of violent July 4 weekend
    So Chicago is bostering it’s force for the upcoming holiday...more police to decrease and respond to crime.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s not defunding but a reallocation of resources to best serve the community. Currently, police are tasked with doing everything under the sun, many of which they’re not properly trained for or constitutes a “waste” of their time. Reallocating some money toward increased social workers or other positions that can respond to nonviolent disputes, neglect cases, suicidal persons, etc. just makes sense.

We have school resource officers at a lot of our schools here despite not having a crime problem. Why are we paying an officer to walk around and mingle with kids and take a pension when they hit 55? I’d rather hire an extra teacher to reduce class sizes or help raise teacher salaries that make substantially less than the officer.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I think I said the same thing. Maybe not as eloquently.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Many PDs do similarly for July 4th.

It's an open question about whether the 1,200 additional officers will have any effect on violent crime.

Keep in mind that police don't usually prevent crime from occurring (except in microplaces...and even then) but respond after-the-fact.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Come on mutz. Meet me in the middle here. More cops in high crime areas, especially in the big cities, deter crime. You gotta give me this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    July 4th is usually when there are a lot of violent crimes in Chicago. The gangs take the opportunity to do their shooting on that day because people don't know if they are hearing gunshots or fireworks. Then everyone else is out on block parties drinking or whatever and you have more altercations.

Nearly 70 People Shot, Five Of Them Fatally, Over Independence Day Weekend

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I have rewritten this several times trying to make sure it I do not sound like an a-hole since I cannot type "tone", each previous re-write sounded awful so I deleted them. My basic question is: what are the examples of things police respond to that are "wastes of their time" in your view?

• Like Like x 2
  9. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Let each community decide by vote what they want to do with their local police. Many smaller towns, communities contract with the local county sheriff. Sheriffs have their own set of rules and regulations, some, I would think that are what some people want changed. So what’s the solution,,,,, Stay with the sheriff or start your own police department, which is expensive.

The majority should decide, not a vocal few hundred or less.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  10. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Many communities/parents and teachers want an officer at their school. A good school resource officer is worth their weight in gold. If the officer is good at his/her job they are the bridge to a kids understanding about police officers. There have been countless stories written about their good deeds and other ones about retirement parties thrown by the kids and parents at the school.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Our school resource officer covers our HS and Middle school as the schools sit next to each other, maybe 4000 kids. I've known her for 10 years, she's a good lady and her hubby is a detective.
    I think she is a good investment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    All I'm saying is that it remains to be seen. Simply putting more police on the street does not mean less crime will occur.

But here's the thing, how would we know?

13. WC53

WC53 All American

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Most studies show increasing cops lowers crime for a short period and then criminals adapt. There are obviously thresholds where going under make the response and enforcement of crimes negligible To the criminal.

It makes complete sense to up your staffing during times you are anticipating greater call load and crime activity. I.e., July 4th or any weekend in Chicago.

A lot of the defunding talk are shell games, move parking, some codes and others out from under the PD umbrella. Boom we cut the PD budget....

A lot of talk on mental health responders, etc, problem is the police deal with a lot of crazy folks who are off meds and a wee bit anti social. They try things like this over decades and they can work depending on the community. The issue is budgets and programs get cut. Pretty common for PD and other big agencies to have hiring freezes and run 5-15% Personnel shortages to make up for deficits. If you have a small group, you just get cut. That’s why the police end up being sent to everything, they are available.

Community policing build relationships and reduces the fear of crime, but I haven’t seen any studies that it actually reduces crime. It is also more labor intensive as free time is needed to make contacts and relationships. Again, frequently falls victim to budget deficits.

Target career criminals.

Typically the issues are from leadership. Just talk politely to people. Cussing or yelling means you failed. You can say please, thank you and get in the car, all at the same time.

I suspect, the community members themselves could have a far greater impact on crime rates than the police. Change the laws you don’t like....

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. 11708cht

11708cht VIP Member

Jun 18, 2017
    How about we start by defunding the criminals. Not the friggin police. Not enough sand in the world for all the heads that are stuck in it.

15. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Good post.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Criminals are often criminals because they have already been "defunded."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    You mean like legalize drugs so there's no black market?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    I put “waste” in quotes as it was not meant to be pejorative or condemning the subjective value of those activities but rather not the optimal use of their time as trained officer. I already provided some that fall in that category above (as they can all be accomplished by people with out police training, and in many cases better as they have the specific training) but another thing I’ve seen police do is have to provide various services like VIN certifications. I’d classify it as most anything that takes them away from their core crime prevention duties requiring arrest powers.

19. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    This falls into the community policing model and community outreach. I, personally, do not think an armed officer in most schools is required for this role. The value in an officer, like one of my acquaintances out here, walking around a crime-free elementary school in military boots, and sporting his bulletproof vest, side arm, taser, and other assortment of police tools is kind of grotesque. For his part he loves the job and is great with the kids. Any value he provides in his community outreach goals could be accomplished in his department polo with no gear.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    The minute you disarm him/her and another school shooting occurs, everyone will blame the police department for not being prepared. Some school districts are discussing arming teachers. Some have even approved it.

Let’s allow the one armed officer to take the place of those teachers, be a recognizable person that kids will relate to when they see other officers on the street dressed like him/her.

Like I said in an earlier post, A good school resource officer is worth their weight in gold. They are wanted by the administration, teachers, and loved by the kids.

If they want it, who am I to say they can’t or shouldn’t have one?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1