Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NY cops retirement spike

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Orange_and_Bluke, Jun 30, 2020.

1. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    "Police Apologists" is that some new left term for people that admit while there are some BAD cops, the VAST majority are good caring people trying to do a very tough job where they just might get killed every day?

I haven't seen anyone, anywhere say it's okay if a bad cop kills someone.
    I have seen many defend(almost say it's their right) rioters and looters defended for stealing, destroying and killing people because they are "upset".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Perhaps you could post some links to research that supports your stance and we could all learn something today......

• Like Like x 1
  3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think everyone admits there are bad police officers that need to be moved out of the system.

4. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

I haven't used "the research" as an appeal to authority for any argument I've made on this thread. Not going to subscribe to JSTOR to own someone on the internet, thanks.

5. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    So you’re on the side that supports defunding the police right? Proud to say you don’t call the cops and that they primarily do waste of time traffic related stuff.
    Are you seriously telling me that reducing the police force would in fact make us safer???

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. wgbgator

The expansion or retention of police budgets make their rehiring or reassignment close to a foregone conclusion. Ultimately the idea that you can have lots of policing, but only good cops is a contradictory one.

7. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Oh I’ve seen it, ample liberal articles trying to undo policing as it works now. Vox, cnn lol, the libbies freaking own the web.

8. wgbgator

If you simply reduced the police budget wholesale, and did nothing with the money to reinvest it in community building or other alternatives to prevent or reduce crime, no, we would not be collectively safer. You'd just be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. slocala

slocala Junior

Jan 11, 2009
    Policing had to be a very difficult and complex mental anxiety that is beyond the average citizen’s understanding. It is beyond mine. I am all for defunding the militarization of the police and refunding with tools to help police cope with mission specific needs. Drop services that put cops in bad situations. We need post traumatic baseline tests al la Blade Runner 2049 for cops. The rub is there has to be movement towards mass surveillance... The Electric Eye.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    What research is that?

11. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    You say that there is no research to show that more police is better and less enables criminals?

12. wgbgator

Oh, I'm sure there is some, funded by the Policeman's Benevolent Association or something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    So you can just sit back and disagree with someone's opinion while not offering anything up to back your criticism. I guess this is based on you being an "expert" in the matter.

Carry on

14. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Mutz knows I’m right. Of course there is progressive stuff that he aligns with.
    Violent crime diminishes and correlates with higher police presence and more so than property related crime.

15. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Except it's not "clear" generally speaking. It's mixed and much more complicated than you make it out to be.

I'd still like to know what research you are referring to?

16. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    How many years have you been studying this? It's not about left/right but what works or does not.

FWIW, police make arrests in less than 20% of all reported serious violent and property crime, although homicide is the lone exception.

That's mendoza line bad. Arrest rates for less serious crime/violence such as drug-related arrests etc. are far worse. Yet you are trying to argue that their impact is faiap direct and absolutely clear. You are wrong and this isn't my being a liberal, it's based on the evidence.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Yep, called me on my careless use of hyperbole. I deserved that. However, 20% fewer police is not like a uniform decrease across a department. I will not assume where that 20% (I know, hypothetical number and not actually quoted anywhere) will come from. but I can guess.

However, I would ask where you live, if it is in NY City or not? IF not, I would ask the last time that you visited Central Park and Times Square? Not to be a Jack-hole, but just curious as to your frame of reference relative to mine. My last visit was 2018 for the US Open Tennis Tournament. I guess I average visiting about every 2-3 years as my previous visit was 2016 and then 2013 before that.

18. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Good. We need to get rid of the bad apples.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. wgbgator

So if someone appeals to authority without supplying evidence, I'm not allowed to criticize their argument, even when I'm not making a counter claim saying the research says otherwise? Yeah, that's not how it works. If I make a claim, I will back it up, but I'm not going to post proof of an argument I'm not even making to be a good sport. Carry on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. wgbgator

The only person who seems to know you're right is you. Probably the only person you've convinced on this thread. Or any thread. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1