Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NY cops retirement spike

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Orange_and_Bluke, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    https://nypost.com/2020/06/27/272-nypd-cops-file-for-retirement-since-floyd-protests/

I want all the anti cop liberals to sign a petition essentially disallowing police from responding To calls from their residence. If you don’t like police, that’s fine, but if you wish to gut their budget and undercut their ability to fight crime, then they shouldn’t have to come help you in your home.
    The police chief added, “People have had enough and no longer feel it’s worth risking their personal well-being for a thankless position.”

Many men and women in blue are fed up, feeling targeted and frustrated that they are expected to fight crime with fewer tools than ever, while getting no backing from politicians, injured in protests, and constantly scrutinized, according to agitated officers and angry police unions.
    People aren’t stupid, they’ll leave that democrat-run cesspool because it will be crime ridden like it was in the 80s.

• Come On Man x 6
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I will sign the petition to have no cops who illegally killed people show up at my house. o_O I pay a lot of taxes so I’m discerning. No murderers.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I wouldn't want to be too aggressive against your completely unifying declaration of New York as a "democrat-run cesspool" and calls for bigger government, but how much of a budget do you think we should give to the NYPD? They have a budget of $6 billion. How much do we need to spend to keep New York safe? London has a police budget of 25% less than New York (with a population of more than 500K more people) and, yet, is still a very popular city in which to reside. So how much do we need to spend on police in order to be safe?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    But are you a proponent of “defunding“ the police? If so, you are hurting all the good ones, which is certainly the majority.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Well, if you cut it by a bill, crime spikes and police retire, less training,and less new recruits because the job becomes very unappealing....you tell me.

6. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I am not. I am for de-bad guying the police and improving community relations.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Would love to hear specifically how it’s accomplished. You are an anomaly, as one of the reasonable libby posters. You probably know that you have to deal with a little imperfection in everything. I think too many libbies have unreasonable expectations and are slow to see big picture consequences.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So the only thing keeping crime from spiking is that last billion? A police budget of $5 billion will lead to a real life version of The Warriors breaking out?

Los Angeles has a per capita police count that is about 33% lower than New York. And yet, Los Angeles remains a popular city to reside in and its crime rate continues to fall. Is there a reason that New York in particular needs that many cops to keep the city safe?

Perhaps rather than responding to crime, people would be safer if we spent a billion dollars preventing crime from being as attractive in the first place. Do you have evidence that wouldn't work?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    I’m open and it might just be more philosophical than financial. Quite possible a conservative tackling the crime issue might be better than the current libbies running around in NY.
    I could be wrong.

10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Okay, so it is philosophical. So has the philosophy made people in the US feel safer than comparable cities around the world? It seems like people in America don't feel very safe. We have relatively high rates of violence in this country. Would you say that the current philosophy has been successful in actually keeping Americans relatively safe compared to other advanced countries or in making them feel safe compared to other advanced countries?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Lots of generalities being thrown around.
    1. I do not think most liberals want to defund the police.
    2. I do think most people in general feel.policw reform is a good thing...as well as better screening, more training, and better psych evals.
    So we...all of us need to stop generalizing.

At the same time comparing LA to New York isnt apples to Applea. Population density plays a HUGE role in crime stats. LA is no where as dense as NEW YORK.
    I cant speak for London as I do not know. I do know London has had quite a bit of un great I. Regards to their policing among minorities as well.
    Sadly, it has become a black and white, no grey area, us vs them matter.
    Cops are bad, racists, murders. When in fact stats show quite the opposite. But emotions have been tapped, and ran away with.
    Instead of a chance for real change, real communication the movement has run amok and been taken over by the fringe. And broadbruahing, generalizing, stereotyping statements....are just not helping.
    But that is where we are in our society....fueled by our media.

• Like Like x 3
  12. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    r
    Since I have no idea how that money is spent, it is doubtful I can intelligently say what purpose that last $1B goes for.

It is ok that you feel like there are too many police officers in New York and want to make and lead this financial crusade against them. Just do not be shocked that not everyone feels that way, especially the overwhelming majority of people who live there.

I will say this, visiting New York a fair amount through the decades, I like it a hell of lot more now than I did in the 70's and 80's. I have no problem riding the subway back from the National Tennis Center in Queens to Central Park at 1 AM because of the overwhelming police presence. That is something no sane person would have done back then. Nor would they have been safe to walk around Central Park at that hour. So, yes, New York's tourist spots are much, much safer which encouraged me to visit more often.

Eliminate the overwhelming police presence and you can eliminate my tourist dollars, and guessing many, many others as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So you think the only reason New York is safer now than in the 1970s or 1980s is because of the huge police presence and budget?

14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Wouldn't density decrease the need for per capita police? If a single police officer can easily observe activities by more people, wouldn't we need less of them not more per capita?

I am more than happy to discuss the grey areas. I think your rants about "the movement" are pretty broadbrushed, honestly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

My neighborhood has virtually no crime (beyond petty stuff and occasional property crimes), and I go weeks if not months without seeing a cop patrolling the area. I don't think "number of cops" in a given area have much to do with the absence of crime. Indeed, if there were more cops in my neighborhood, there would probably be *more* crime.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Police constantly claim they have to fight crime with *fewer" tools than ever.* Another term *with one hand tied behind their back.* It's nonsense upon stilts. A massive lie mindlessly accepted because people who don't have a clue about policing believe it without question.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  17. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Are there bad cops yup same as there are bad people in every other occupation on this planet.
    I keep reading about comparisons of cops in L.A, NYC, U.K. and I'm sure there are more to come. The fact is there is no comparison when it comes to how law enforcement works and is paid in each location.

Cutting $1 billion in NYPD will certainly have some ramifications.

How much does a retired policeman from NYC earn? If this web site is correct they earn on average $68,139.00. To be fair I haven't dug into how many officers are currently drawing retirement or the current costs for the police department but if this is any indication Cop Out I would say the costs are fairly substantial and revenue is definitely on the decline.

NYC Police Pension Fund say they have 43,000 retired members which I assume is more but less than 44,000 and that alone costs $2.9 Billion. Due to the outdated material I linked to one could certainly say the pensions are well over $3 Billion with an operating budget of $6 billion. I have no idea about health benefits and the costs nor do I intend to do any research on it.

Needless to say something's got give and I doubt higher taxes of which are on the horizon will be welcomed at all.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Only? No. My world is not really black and white. Is it a factor? Yes. If there were no police in Times Square at night would it be just as safe.....no chance. I saw what it was before and what it is now. It sure as hell is not Utopia, but it is day and night different now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Times Square is just as obscene now, just in a different way. Some people prefer to the Flavortown dystopia to the Peep Show dystopia. But they are really the different sides of the same coin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    You should be first to sign away your rights of police visiting your home and your calls to police would go ignored.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1