Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nutritional value

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by Gator515151, May 13, 2018.

1. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    When can I come over? :D

2. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    When people used to ask me how I lost 70 lbs.....now it's 85 lbs total I tell them it's the what works for me diet. We are all different and have to find what works for us. The two big changes for me were cutting back on soft drinks and changing my snack diet. I carried a bag of cheerio's ( very few calories) in my truck and anytime I wanted a snack I ate a hand full of cheerios along with a banana for flavoring. I love cheerios even without milk and sugar, that's what worked for me. As a side benefit cheerios lower colesterol and my levels dropped dramatically. I don't do the cheerio thing anymore because I retired and no longer spend my day in my truck but if needed I will go back to it. It's what works for me.

3. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Ah, a diet thread (well, sort of).

Two words: Atkins Diet. It works wonders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

Congratulations!
    That's the first thing I had said in my 1st post, About everyone being different.

Soft drinks can contain up to 22 teaspoons of sugar in a 16 oz. bottle! ?
    Corn syrup ia another bax form of sweetener, and is snuck into many foods you wouldn't ever expect!

5. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    My mom went keto and so far lost 70lbs in a year. No working out or anything.

6. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    It is much easier to lose weight by restricting calorie intake than by burning calories. Long term though you need to increase what you burn and moderate what you consume.

7. WhattaGator

Atkins will work fairly quickly, but only for a while.

NOTE; When I said that I'm A retired Certified Executive Chef, that was from Cornell University... And, it requires several semesters each in Food Chemistry and Nutrition.

Scarfing basically nothing but Protein, and shunning Carbs And Fats, throws most bodies out of kilter.

As the saying goes, "Everything in moderation" The body NEEDS a certain amount of both carbs and fats to optimally function.

My old travelling partner was healthy as a horse, then he did the Atkins thing for at least 6 years, to lose as much weight as possible.

He eventually ended up with Type 2 Diabetes, as well as a couple others who ended up with other various internal problems.

Carbs, and fats, contain certain nutrients that aren't found in most proteins.

I'm not saying to go eat huge bowl of pasta, with half a loaf of garlic bread drowning in butter every day...

I'm saying that the human body requires all three, in moderation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Get a dog and walk him daily no matter if everything isn’t perfect that day

Limit sugar and simple carbs

You and the Dog will be healthier and lighter

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh Lacuna, what are you doing asking a logical question like that for? Lol... :D;)

10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I've been looking at the ketogenic diets. I find them interesting, even though I only need to lose about 15 lbs.... still I find it interesting.
    What is the Ketogenic Diet? A Comprehensive Beginner's Guide
    Keto Diet

Stay away from all processed foods and carbohydrates and you'll be fine.

Netflix has a couple of documentaries on it... It's very interesting, and far more informative than I thought it would be.

11. WhattaGator

Ya mean you don't eat some Pizza?... Spaghetti and Meatballs?... A Blueberry muffin?

I made a nice batch of Italian sausage, peppers and onions a couple days ago.

First serving was only that, while tonight, I made a little Penne to mix with it. That, and a Spring mix salad with homemade Italian vinaigrette, made a super dinner!

NO partiallyhydrogenatedANYTHING, only REAL butter, raw. sugar, Kosher or Sea salt, etc.

My snack this afternoon was steamed, then sauteed sugar snap beans/peas

Tonight, probably about 4 scoops of Fudge Royale ice cream!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There is a Netflix documentary called The Magic Pill that talks about the ketogenic diet and its potential benefits and of course, controversies...Haven’t watched it yet but I bet it’s a good one that you dieters should check out

13. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And those 100 calorie bars are great if you only eat 1 at a time

14. WhattaGator

"Magic. Pills" only magically hurt you

There is NO magic diet that will EVER replace smart nutrition!

15. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I do this. I know I could walk five miles a day without my dog, but him enjoying so much gets me over the hump and on the road so often. We break it down into 3 1.7 mile walks a day. Time varies with the weather.

The other advantage to a dog is walk by a couple of playgrounds. A man walking alone by a playground is a source of stranger danger. Give him a dog and he can walk by without causing alarm.

16. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed....I was never into diets because they take away an essential nutrient...the best “diet” is avoiding high fat, high sodium, sugary foods and exercising minimum 30’ a day

17. WhattaGator

Wow! I was just looking into this "keto" diet..... All I can say is; STAY AWAY FROM IT"!!

Not only does it contradict itself, by telling you to avoid proteins, then in another wheel chart, it shows you how much proteins to have!

The most dangerous part is, they want you to force your body to sctually stop producing glucose and INSULIN..... WARNING! You're dancing around Type 2 diabetes here!!!!....

Next, when your body finally reaches the "goal" of Ketosis, where your liver produces Ketones. In the state of ketosis, (which you'll continuously have to monitor by blood strips and other tests) you will have; Increased urination, Bad breath, Dry mouth, etc

The main danger here is playing with severely reducing the body's Insulin production while producing these Ketones into the system. There is a VERY serious affliction you might have heard of called Ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis is a life threatening condition, when a severe lack of Inssulin (one of the goals of the diet) is exascerbated by the breakdown of body fat, (the goal and result of attaininf "ketosis") releases Ketones into the body. The keto diet is also forcing the liver to produce more ketones.

The combination of the severe lack of insulin, along with the ketones being released from BOTH the body fat AND the liver, results in the blood becoming much more acidic... The result?...Ketoacidosis! This is a severe danger in itself!

With the danger of almost no insulin being produced, the risk of Type 2 diabetes is high. Add Ketoacidosis to a diabetic, or even someone with prediabetes, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I would slowly walk away from any thought of this crazy diet!

Last edited: May 20, 2018