Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nutritional value

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by Gator515151, May 13, 2018.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    As a struggling fat person trying to keep my weight down I read the nutritional value label on everything I eat. One thing puzzles me. Pancake mix, the label on those shake & pour pancake containers says Calories per serving 230, Serving size 3 pancakes, Servings per container 2 1/2. No matter how I figure it this comes out to 7 1/2+ pancakes per container. Has anybody ever been able to get more than 3 pancakes out of a container?

2. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    Why is "a struggling fat person trying to keep [his] weight down" eating pancakes?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    What did you miss? It was stated that he was struggling.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    It's a mind set. A person who wants to lose weight contends, strives, "struggles" with temptation to eat certain foods - like pancakes. A person striving to lose weight who gives in to that temptation has been defeated in that "struggle" to avoid that food. One skirmish or struggle does not determine the overall outcome of the war against excess weight, but each successful one builds momentum towards victory.

As for 51's question - the nutritional and caloric information can be a marketing ploy to convince the consumer / purchaser there are more servings in the box than what the box actually contains. It's portion control and most people prefer larger portions, or more portions than are contained in the average box.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. wygator

wygator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    Serving sizes are a lie from the devil. For example, one bag of chips, one serving. I hope this helps everyone.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Start making silver dollar pancakes?

7. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I don't really agree with you about this. It does not necessarily mean defeat. I struggle with weight myself and knowing that I take steps towards better decisions every day. No fast food, no sodas, plus more exercise etc. But I'm not going to concede defeat because I have a bad meal once and a while.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    As a former wrestler way back when, we were told to get to the lowest weight class possible, apparently because that gave us an advantage over our opponent. The most popular an recommended technique was the starvation diet. Yeah, some advantage when you haven't eaten in days and you're totally dehydrated. What were we thinking?

My recommendation is back away from sodium, sugar, fats, and quantity. You know, all the stuff that makes food taste good. :( I had to learn the hard way in managing gout. It ain't easy but it works. I've dumped over 50 lbs. since the field days in Orlando where my kitchen and cafeteria were BK, Bubbalou's and Cecil's BBQ. Red's came in a close second. There are spice mixes that are actually quite tasty and you can marinate a steak or a pork tenderloin and although it tastes different, it's freaking delicious off your backyard grill.

9. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    Just to ease your mind lacuna, I spent my entire adult life grossly overweight. As many know my retirement plans include hiking the AT. Realizing I had zero chance of that at 270 lbs I lost 70 lbs before my attempt in March. Since my unsuccessful hike in march I decided I needed to drop another 30 lbs before trying again. I am now down near 185 lbs and still losing. I am no longer obese but still consider myself a struggling fat person. Does that mean I can never eat pancakes or Ice cream again?

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    If you take it off and want to keep it off, that may be the case, 51. Recovered alcoholics know one drink can trigger their slide back into drinking again. I know of your struggle as I'm overweight, too. When I set my mind to it I can lose weight on a low carb diet. But when I eat sugar and other carbs, even in moderation, I gain it - and more - back. I've struggled with these temptations for many years and cannot claim victory over them because too many times I have given in to them and watched the weight return with a vengeance. I know that keeping the weight off permanently means I can't eat those things. Ever. I'm not there yet.

I commend your effort in reaching your targeted weight. But, yes, in reaching your goal you may find it necessary to give up some foods entirely.

11. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    I hear what you are saying lacuna but I have done pretty well. I used to make a churn of home made ice cream and eat the whole churn in a couple of days. Used to boil peanuts by the bushel and finish them off in a few days. If I eat something like that anymore I do it in moderation. If I splurge on something like pancakes I watch my calories the rest of the day.

12. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    There was a time I could put a hurtin' on the Golden Corral or the Holiday House, they always lost money on me. Even Grandy's when they were still here. Not so much anymore.

13. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

As a retired Certified Executive Chef, allow me to give you a few pointers.

Everyone's body handles proteins, fats, and carbs in different ways, (One man's meat is another man's poison, so to speak)

If you're trying to really cut the weight down, cut out as many carbs as you can for a while, and see what happens.
    Also, as a devout label reader, AVOID anything that renotely says "Partially hydrogenated ANYTHING!!!, it's the worst thing to put in your body.

Eat smaller portions, several times a day, it aids in you metabolizing and digesting your food.
    Eat vegetables several times a day

Yes, it WILL take some sacrificing for a while, but the results will be worth it, and you'll find that you WILL be able to eat pancakes occasionally, as well as bakery goods, etc,

Smart eating, and smart weight loss procedures, are valuable!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I can eat shrimp 1-2 times a year, brats 1-2 times a year -- 2 of my most favorite foods, and my foot won't swell up like a pack of hamburger and feel like someone went after it with a sledgehammer (gout). works like a champ and the weight dropped off like a cheap 60's prom dress :D. Good luck with it dude, it's not that bad.

15. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Do you add a scoop of butter and make a syrup soup with them pancakes?

16. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    Lol you know I do.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    No other way to have pancakes. Unless they're pigs in a blanket.:p

18. WhattaGator

I LOVE my pancakes smothered in butter and syrup!

I don't have them very often.

I'm 6 feet tall, and have usually weighed about 200 lbs. About 6 years ago, I slowly went up to close to 260!

I changed my eating habits, and came back to my 200.

To this day, as long as I eat smaller portions, several times a day, I can sit down later at night and eat a cereal bowl full of 4 or 5 scoops of ice cream!

TIP. NEVER eat margerine nor I can't believe it's not butter ( It's partially hydrogenated OIL), or artificial sweeteners (poison)

Eat NATURAL stuff, butter, raw sugar... and fruits and lots of veggies!

I used to drive my ex-wife crazy when we wanted a snack.
    I'd make some broccoli or brussel sprouts, where she insisted on potato chips, saying how much she hated me and my stupid snack, while her cellulite, as well as her ass, continually exanded!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Dude 6 feet 200 lb's is not bad. On the snack deal, I'm going for the chips and salsa everytime. But that ship has sailed.

20. WhattaGator

Don't get me wrong, I STILL eat my share of cookies, chips and salsa, and I LOVE garlic bread!, though I eat it with a nice salad.

I'm making Italian sausage and peppers tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1