Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Notre Dame Cathedral Burns

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by WhattaGator, Apr 15, 2019.

1. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    sad

my first thought was terrorism

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    It was being renovated and it seems likely that it was some sort of accident caused by the construction.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    NATIONAL VIEWPOINT

The last time I saw Paris

Sentinel AP
    WASHINGTON — Nearly 18 years ago, my wife and I were in Versailles, about to tour that iconic palace, when French television showed the infamous destruction of New York’s Twin Towers skyscrapers by two hijacked commercial aircraft.

All of Paris was plunged into mourning for the tragic death of nearly 3,000 innocent Americans. We raced to the Charles de Gaulle Airport outside Paris in quest of a return flight. There, a moment of silence was declared, as travelers of all nations froze in place in remembrance of the victims, with some travelers offering individual condolences to recognizable Americans at the airport.
    Unsuccessful at first in our dealings with sympathetic French airline clerks, we returned to Paris and attended a long and solemn Mass at the Notre Dame Cathedral. French and American Catholics, along with hundreds of other Parisians and visitors to the City of Light, shared their grief as the magnificent cathedral organ filled one of the world’s greatest architectural and religious edifices with music, along with voices of compassion and shared loss.
    The long and close alliance of our two countries, forged in the fires of two horrible world wars survived by Paris, manifested itself in the outpouring of sympathy and support from our Gallic brothers.

On Monday, long back home safe and sound, we watched American television bring a comparable view of shock and despair with the massive fire that was bringing down the famous spire of that same Notre Dame Cathedral, also decimating some ofthe rest of it.
    The last time I saw Paris

5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Rebuilding will be long, fraught, pricey
    By Jill Lawless and Raf Casert Associated Press
    LONDON — Notre Dame in Paris is not the first great cathedral to suffer a devastating fire, and it probably won’t be the last.
    In a sense, that is good news. A global army of experts and craftspeople can be called on for the long, complex process of restoring the gutted landmark.

The work will face substantial challenges — starting immediately, with the urgent need to protect the inside of the 850-year-old cathedral from the elements, after its timber-beamed roof was consumed by flames.

The first priority is to put up a temporary metal or plastic roof to stop rain from getting in. Then, engineers and architects will begin to assess the damage.
    Fortunately, Notre Dame is a thoroughly documented building. Over the years, historians and archaeologists have made exhaustive plans and images, including minutely detailed, 3-D laser-scanned re-creations of the interior.

Duncan Wilson, chief executive of the conservation organization Historic England, said Tuesday that the cathedral will need to be made secure without disturbing the debris scattered inside, which may provide valuable information — and material — for restorers.
    “The second challenge is actually salvaging the material,” he said. “Some of that material may be reusable, and that’s a painstaking exercise. It’s like an archaeological excavation.”
    Rebuilding will be long, fraught, pricey

6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Restoration debate ramps up

On rebuilding famed cathedral, a schism over old versus new

By Griff Witte The Washington Post
    PARIS — Only two days after a devastating fire at Notre Dame Cathedral, France on Wednesday launched into a contentious debate over how to restore one of the world’s most treasured architectural wonders.

At issue is whether the French government should seek to re-create the famed cathedral as it was before the blaze, sticking as close as possible to the 850-year-old structure’s pre-fire style and substance. Before Wednesday, many preservationists had assumed that it would.

But Prime Minister Edouard Philippe upended expectations with an announcement of an international competition to replace the iconic spire that collapsed into Monday’s inferno. He also raised the prospect of a 21st-century twist atop a 12th-century creation.

“This is obviously a huge challenge, a historic responsibility,” Philippe said, noting that the new design would have to be “adapted to technologies and challenges of our times.”
    He questioned whether “we should re-create” the spire as it was or “as is often the case in the evolution of heritage, we should endow Notre Dame with a new spire.”
    Restoration debate ramps up

7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  8. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  9. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    So much was lost as Notre Dame burned
    By Emily Sujka My Word columnist
    We were walking over to the library – my colleague and I – when she said the most unbelievable thing.

“The Notre Dame is burning.”

She didn’t ask me whether I’d heard. Just stated it. Just like that. And, when my face didn’t react, she pointed to the row of books and incongruently, yet again, elaborated.
    “It’s not a joke.”
    Shock pricked my eyes.
    During spring break of my sophomore year of college, I went to Paris for nine days. Somehow, twice during those days, I visited Notre Dame. As an unspoken rule, I never do or see the same thing more than once — that is, unless I adore it. A few winners of this honor, exceptions if you will, are Krakow, The Morse Museum of American Art, The Orlando Science Center, New York City, “The Lion King,” “Psycho,” Austin’s Coffee, and Dandelion Communitea. Notre Dame required a return. Our lady surpassed impressive and shook off conventional beauty. My eyes saw, but that wasn’t enough. This structure was a Gothic marvel and a gift fashioned out of human creativity and civilization’s virtuous intentions.
    And we all got to watch as its bow was singed, and its skin croaked out terrible smoke.
    So much was lost as Notre Dame burned