Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

North Florida Game Box Score MVG: Kerry Blackshear

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorJason, Nov 5, 2019.

1. GatorJason

GatorJason GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    MVG: Kerry Blackshear starts his Gator career with a dominating game scoring 20 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals for a triple digit value score of 116. Forward Keyontae Johnson had a solid overall game with 7 points, 7 rebounds 2 steals and 2 assists for a Value Score of 59 in just 19 minutes of play. Super FR Scottie Lewis brought a spark off the bench with 9 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists for 54 Value Credits.

Team Stats: Gators established themselves as a defensive team, holding a talented and experienced Osprey team to 59 points on 37% shooting and out-rebounding them 43 to 32. On the flipside, the Gator offense did not do well either shooting 42% from the field and a poor 20% from the arc.

Box Score Value Leaders
    Blackshear....116
    Johnson.........59
    Lewis.............54

Click on thumbnail below for all Value Scores.
    [​IMG]

North Florida Game: Box Score

Value Credits* are assigned as follows:
    +5 credits for each Steal and Assist
    +4 credits for each Point scored, Rebound and Block
    .-5 credits for each Turnover
    .-1.5 credits for each Field Goal Attempt
    .-0.75 credit for each Free Throw Attempt
    * Value Credits are based solely on Box Score data and do not reflect total game contributions by players

The Gators next play FSU on Sunday Nov 10th at 1:00 PM ET in the Stephen C. O'Connell Center. (ESPN)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Can probably get an efficiency rating too - value per min. Played.

3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks Jason - always appreciate the value scoring. I'm surprised to see Nembhard so far down the list. He didn't take a whole lotta shots, but he made very few. Would like to see him get to the FT line and earn some steals in the next few games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Noooooo my bracket contest!!!

5. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    I was wondering why Florida's offense looked sluggish against North Florida. Florida did not get much scoring output from the point guard position (Nembhard: 1/7 2 pts, 4 A) - even the back-up PG, Glover, had a rough debut. It looked like that some of the players were anxious and were rushing their shots in the season opener.

Blackshear had a heck of a debut as a Florida Gator: 8/11 (FT: 3/3, 3 Pt: 1/1) - 20 pts, 10 reb, 3 A. I was pleased with all of the bigs: Omar Payne (2 blocks, 6 pts, 5 reb) & Bassett ( 2 pts, 6 reb) rebounded & scored well. Jitoboh's free-throw shooting may be a liability but was productive otherwise (3 pts, 3 reb).

As for the wings, I thought that both Tre Mann & Locke played with energy and gave Florida scoring output. Lewis was solid off the bench - Nembhard set him up a few times for some easy buckets. However, Florida did not hit for too many three-pointers (3/15) against the Offspreys (11/34).

Defensively, Florida did a good job in holding UNF to under 60 points.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Are there no credits for reb and blks?

7. GatorJason

Apr 8, 2007
    Sure. Look at how Value Credits are assigned. Those are the coefficients used in the Box Score translation matrix seen in the thumbnail. +4 credits each.

8. GatorJason

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes. If you did that you would see Basset taking honors with 43 credits in only 9 minutes! You'll likely see Coach White playing the taller Basset more minutes at the expense of the very talented but shorter/skinnier freshman wingmen. Size has a inherent value that talent alone cannot easily overcome, especially in the rebounding department.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    wonder if we should trend these weightings towards something similar to the PER calculation done for the NBA

10. GatorJason

Apr 8, 2007
    Jeff, I had to look up PER (Player Efficiency Rating) LINK

I like PER but it's too hard for me to calculate. Once my template spreadsheet is set up, it is easy to plug in the key box score numbers and get an overall player performance result. Some may quibble with the weighting for each stat, but I think over the years, the Value Credits have fairly accurately characterized players' performances based on the statistics captured in the box score. I think even more so than the +/- numbers players get which are based on the team's score differential during the time a player is on court.

• Agree Agree x 2