Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Noah Locke In Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by seaofred92, Mar 25, 2021.

1. 407king

407king Premium Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Francis averaged 6.5 ppg and was a 37% shooter. Some career.

Walker averaged 8 ppg at Troy.

Murphy averaged 14 ppg at Northeastern after averaging less than 5 ppg at UF and Duke. Was Coach K the issue too?

Stokes was dismissed from Memphis. I guess you blame CMW for that too?

Hester went from UF to Akron to Tallahassee Community College. Yea, stellar things from him too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Don't see Locke's full HS stats anywhere, but on floridagators they drop this line:
    This past year, with the college line and against college defenders, he hit 40% of his threes. I agree with questioning why people think Reeves is going to be better from 3-point land.

3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I'm just hoping Reeves doesn't disappear at times. Locke has been a great Gator but he was not consistent enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    How many is that now

5. hobegator

hobegator Senior

May 16, 2017
    Hobe Sound
    Wow - didn't see that one coming.

6. hobegator

hobegator Senior

May 16, 2017
    Hobe Sound
    It's hard to see how Locke ends up in a better situation. He would get plenty of PT and shots here even with Reeves coming in. If he wants to develop his game, he has 1 year in a new system to improve his defense, his ball handling and still get a lot of shots. He would need to be a day 1 starter and get 30+ minutes a game. That's a tough goal on a new team.

In any case, he was a solid Gator and Ihope he finds what he is looking for.

7. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s not the playing time with Locke. Locke is playing in a three-Guard offense where he watches two guards dribbling all over the place. He himself is running all over the place to try to get open to get the ball. He is not getting many catch and shoot jump shots and passes thrown to him from our big man. He potentially can shine at a school that has a pick and roll offense with a lot of off-the-ball screening that will get him open for step-in jump shots.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yeah, that one is kind of bizarre to me. The one transfer so far that makes me go... whaattttt??? I guess Osifu is surprising too, but he had a much smaller role. I just always assumed Locke was a 4 year Gator with a stable role.

I’m sure there are systems that would be a better fit for a pure spot up shooter, but despite the rest of his game not being ideal for some things White might want to do, he’s been a solid player and basically our one pure shooter.

It’s not like he’s going to a high major to be their starting PG, he’d probably have a similar role to what he has here. I guess if he goes to the right place, things could be easier for him (I.e. get a few more open looks per game out of better offense). But most players aren’t going to jump ship like that when they already have a solid role.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    didn't see the post coming since another thread about Locke leaving already has a bunch of comments :)

10. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Locke was pretty much a one trick pony as a basketball player. If you could get him an open look while he was set, he could knock down threes with a good percentage. But he didn’t give us much more than that. He couldn’t create his own shot, he couldn’t fill in at the one, he couldn’t shoot on the move, and he really wasn’t good at driving to the basket. He was a spot up shooter that really couldn’t defend well enough to give the team more points than he gave up most games. If he were a top notch defender, then having him be just a shooter is fine. But that isn’t the case with Locke. Good luck to him carving out a role elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. seaofred92

seaofred92 Junior

Nov 6, 2017

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. garygator27

garygator27 GC Legend

Mar 28, 2017
    It’s going to be really interesting to see which school he selects and what his role will be. Hope we can learn exactly why he’s transferring.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Note to fans:

Trey year 1 and Trey year 2 were different animals.
    Myself I do not see K Reeves being "Trey year 2" ....so automatically.
    More like Trey year 1.

Now the kid may come in and be a 20 - 6 - 6 guy out of the gate but who really believes that?

WHAT ABOUT LEWIS?
    Like many I am not convinced he is coming back either. Lewis is not the 5 star monster we and perhaps "he" was expecting.

With all of these roster drops Lewis should certainly find a spot, if he wants to stick. I think the issue for Lewis is he is not going to be "Big-Timed" by pursuers. Sure he could transfer to a smaller school / smaller league and give it a restart.

I don't see a ton of AN / Gonzaga situations available to him out there primarily because I don't think he is as good a player as AN is. He could be a key "Cog" for someone, perhaps us, but I don't think, for him, a transfer is an automatic path to success.

14. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Which loops back to the guard issue. K Reeves and Apple.
    Clearly we need help, depth and a real point. I think assuming these two will suffice is a big mistake.

15. 407king

407king Premium Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I'm sure we'll be adding someone else and we still have to see what the other 3 players do.

16. garygator27

garygator27 GC Legend

Mar 28, 2017
    Any truth to the rumors that Locke wants minutes as the point guard and the staff didn’t think that was a good idea next year? If true, I think parting ways makes sense for both the player and the program.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. 407king

407king Premium Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Oh boy, Locke running the point with those handles? We'd double our turnover rate from this past year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Haha, we would get like 20 FGAs per game! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. garygator27

garygator27 GC Legend

Mar 28, 2017
    I think he played a lot of PG in high school. 4 star coming out. Must think that’s his future professionally if he wants to play that position next season. He always seemed a bit shaky with the ball when guarded closely by a quicker player, he’s going to have to work hard on his handles in the offseason if someone is going to give him a shot at running point next year. It makes me feel a little better about losing him if this rumor is actually true.

20. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    I've only seen limited highlights of Reeves, but my initial reaction is that he is very upright and stiff, and has a hitch in his shooting motion. That said... he has great size, a nice separation dribble to create space for a shot, likes to run, seems committed to playing defense, and is a good finisher at the rim. If he somehow grows another inch or two, watch out. Bottom line, he's going to be a very nice player for us before he eventually transfers to Gonzaga.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1