Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

No football players are positive. Is this a good thing?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ncbullgator15, Aug 1, 2020.

1. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Yeah, but those Revolutionary soldiers are probably all dead now (other than Andre Debose) so what good is it now?

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    @gatorjjh
    Sorry if I'm asking the wrong mod, and I know it's wrong to ask a mod in a thread but I don't know whom to address since it was an anonymous mod deletion.

Where are the rules posted these days? I looked, but apparently not hard enough. Sorry if I'm breaking a rule to ask about a rule.

I provided a content warning.

@GatorNavy deleted the post, based on language not permitted, I didn't open the post but Navy's note indicates it had a word(s) not permitted the contact warning is not sufficient, Navy may have a more extensive explanation but the F word is a no go.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    They are called “live attenuated” virus vaccines, like the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine, or the chicken pox vaccine (not the shingles vaccines which are against proteins of the chickenpox virus but are against fragments of the same virus). Among the most common vaccines given in the US

• Like Like x 1
  4. LAGatorDoc

Jul 29, 2012
    This thread is misleading. How were they tested? Presumably they were tested by the standard PCR assay, which tests if you are infected right now. Not if you are over the infection. If they had it months ago, they wouldnt test positive now for infection. I think a comprehensive approach where they test to immunity to the virus would be complementary to tell if they were exposed to the virus previously to gather risks of infection and spread to other players

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. LAGatorDoc

Jul 29, 2012
    Not all viruses are the same. The problem with this virus isn’t with the amount of virus. Exposure to a small amount of virus causes infection. Asymptomatics/presymptomatics and those morbidly ill on ventilators have the same amount of viral RNA when tested, meaning they are infected to a similar degree. Its the immune response, clotting response, etc to the viral infection with this virus that is dangerous. Thus small inoculations or “COVID parties” are definitely not recommended. Take the same amount of virus that made one person not even get sick and give it to someone with the wrong genetic makeup and comorbid conditions (type 2 diabetes, heart disease, immune suppression) and they are goners. The Washington/small pox approach is definitely not recommended here with this virus

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    Huh...what? 99.9% what?

7. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    [QUOTE
    “There are going to be outbreaks,” one official told players on the call. (The official didn’t identify himself, and the SEC spokesman declined to identify him to The Post.) “We’re going to have cases on every single team in the SEC. That’s a given. And we can’t prevent it.”[/QUOTE]

Uh..wrong..you can totally minimize the risk by not playing! Wow! Just sending sheep into the slaughterhouse for $

8. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I would argue that for people under 25, COVID is not lethal. Look at the data/ facts. COVID is a slaughterhouse for those over 65 (really: over 80) and/ or have comorbidities. For school kids, the flu is more lethal.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  9. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    ["gatorbogey, post: 11919957, member: 1702"]Uh..wrong..you can totally minimize the risk by not playing! Wow! Just sending sheep into the slaughterhouse for $[/QUOTE]
    So? Ever looked at a coaching staff? Unless the players are going to coach themselves, we will have coaches and support staff contract and die from this... no way around it. And the people pushing it will get an opportunity to to show their accountability with their wallets... maybe we can also let them personally inform and answer to the families.

10. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Did you go shopping? Lots of people worked to give you the opportunity to get your groceries.

there are risks for everything we do in life.

Managers and coaches and staff in the nfl, mlb, and nba are taking on the risks, ...players too. For college players, the risks are less, as the data indicates.

give the coaches and support staff the option to opt out. And/or, put in a lot of safeguards.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Of course not; I'm not interested in making the lives of those feeding us any riskier.

12. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    You’ll make a good bubble boy.

best to stay off the streets. No driving, etc. There’s is some risk of accidents - loss of life, even.

13. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Of course I will, I'm a 52-year old stroke survivor... mama raised a reader.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly. It shows that the protocols we are implementing are being successful. And that there is high buy in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If the anti-virus test results got from stage 3 testing to real world implementation then yes it is a good thing.

16. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Death isn’t the only consideration. There is lung damage and heart damage and nerve damage in some of those recovered even in some asymptomatic cases.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Pretty significant consideration if you plan on going pro.

18. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Fascinating that folks are discussing "herd immunity" as though it WILL happen despite the studies that show immunity lasts only a few months. Herd immunity is, very likely, not possible with this virus. Further, the whole "young people don't die" argument is not only untrue, but ignores that carriers reach others who do die. That is why we wear masks...not for ourselves, but for others.

Further, most news outlets give only a superficial understanding of what other countries have learned about the virus. Very few countries have fared worse (and the US has a great medical infrastructure, despite the worst medical economic system in the world.)The USA is persona non grata and a great disappointment to the world because of the macho "I ain't gonna let this stop me, life poses risks, let's live like normal" attitude reflected by some very nice, respectable, yet uninformed people on this board.

I have had COVID. My concern was not that I was going to die (while 68, I still condition like an elite athlete), but that my internal organs may have been compromised for the future. Turns out, I may have died as one of my weird symptoms was due to hypothyroidism. I had tremendous temperature fluctuations which netted me hypothermia. and a temp of 94.9....which may have, had I not diagnosed and treated it immediately, killed me in comfort. (I had a sense of great well-being.)

COVID opinions are a litmus test of political ideology and from where gets ones "news". These attributes are clearly reflected on these boards.

I prefer science over ideology and a well-coordinated, organized approach to pandemics. The USA, and a great many people here, do not. Sadly, that means interrupted sports, more deaths and a net economic loss for the USA.

We can fix this with hard choices, but the apparent public need for immediate gratification and a total lack of appreciation for the greater community good promises less than ideal outcomes.

• Like Like x 2