Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

No Florida/Florida State Game this year

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorTodd, Jul 30, 2020.

1. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I know we would very likely beat FSU this year, given our disparities in rosters this year. Having said that, I am OK with not playing FSU this year for the following reasons:

1. We have convincingly won two games in a row. We are in a streak and we have nothing to prove. Nobody is going to confuse our two programs. None of the recruits are going to wonder which program is on top.
    2. This is not our revenge game this year, there is no pressure from the fans or the team to beat FSU this year. It's already expected, so the feeling is more casual than years past.
    3. Conversely, the pressure is all on FSU to break the streak. We will have bragging rights for another year and FSU cannot do anything about it. They need the Florida game this year, we just want to have it.
    4. COVID-19 is the great equalizer this year and there is a much, much greater possibility of a few players having to sit out than being injured. Lose a DE, DT, QB, WR, CB before the FSU game? Now we're much weaker. We could enter that weekend with a much greater chance to lose, and for what? Like I said, we have nothing to gain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Not quite. Faculty are encouraged to make it possible for students to complete their work without having to come back to campus after Thanksgiving

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol. That's a hella satisfying notion. Huzzah to you, fine sir.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007

Nah, I never want to see an opportunity to whip their ass slip by.

This whole thing is crazy to me. I lean towards the idea that football shouldn't happen, and might fail to happen if a bunch of infections start happening (especially as there doesn't seem to be any particular precautions being taken). It may all prove to be a moot discussion.

But as far as the schedule goes, the combination of adding two conference games and dropping the rivalry game makes absolutely ZERO sense. None. Nada. Zilch. It was a $$$ decision and possibly angling for future expanded schedules. It actually disgusts me what they are doing there.

If anything, with the intent of trying to move forward - they should have just tried to make do with a plan for 8 games and have more bye weeks spaced throughout the season for testing or possible make up games should teams have issues with infected players. Then leave it up to individual programs if they wanted to play their rivalry game (or at least keep it on the schedule), if you are going to play football at all it makes zero sense to drop an in-state rivalry game.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    He's the definition of a non-fan. Wants to see a competitive game and doesn't care who wins.

6. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I don't know about the more recent schools invited to join the SEC, but I don't think the original charter allows the SEC to kick out founding members.

I wish Florida politicians would get on this bandwagon of requiring us and FSU to play if there is football at all in 2020. Its complete Horse-hockey to okay competition and then try to dictate a schools non-conference schedule...like its some kind of safety consideration. Its completely self-serving and hypocritical. In my view non-conference games are none of the conference's business.

7. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It is self-serving, but having the SEC office protect the SEC product and SEC revenue is kind of why they exist. It's not like they are doing this without the consent of the members. Once teams lock in with OOC games, it kills the flexibility to finish the season that seems to be the underlying goal of this plan.

The SEC can't really stop UF/USC from playing FSU/Clemson after the conference window is over on Dec. 19. But at that late date there just isn't time to wedge it in and the isn't an imperative for UF since the game is in Tally.

Sucks from a fan perspective, but it's 100% logical if the goal is to have the best shot at a complete season of some sort.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Then if could be played between 9/1 and 9/26. Not playing non-conference rivals doesn't advance the goal of a complete season in any form....particularly when you are adding additional conference games just so your TV contract won't suffer.

9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    UF, Georgia, and South Carolina need to make some noise and undo this very stupid, very unnecessary decision. I would rather see Florida say “Well, if it’s too ‘dangerous’ for us to play FSU, then I guess we can’t risk an SEC schedule either.”

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    Very fine post. Some things I had not considered. I was just mad because I knew we’d kill them this year but you have given me a different positive perspective. Thank you, sir.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

11. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    UK as well. Additionally, although its not a traditional rivalry, LSU was set to play UTex this year.

12. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes, UK as well. I forgot about them.

13. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    The fair thing to do IMO is play next year's game in a neutral location (Jax). That way the series resumes its normal rotation in 2022, each school loses one home game and can split the revenue from the neutral site game next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They'll get compensated in some way. Game rotation will stay the same. Still likely that it will all be shut down by Nov. anyway.

15. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    That’s entirely too rational, no way it happens :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    1997 sugar Bowl is on tv right now. At least we can relive that over and over. Bout time they replayed a game we won

17. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I would hope that the actual schedules that get produced will at least have the six intra-division games played first so that if everything goes south, we might be able to at least have some semblance of a clean finish.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Kentucky forgets about Louisville all the time unless it's basketball season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Vindibudd

Vindibudd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Orlando
    I appreciate this sentiment but I want to beat the living hell out of FSU every single year. And if we can do it twice in a year then I want that as well. It's not Thanksgiving if we aren't beating the living daylights out of that trash school.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1