Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

No Florida/Florida State Game this year

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorTodd, Jul 30, 2020.

1. rangerozzy

rangerozzy Freshman

Apr 14, 2020
    Going to really hurt FSU financially. No one attends any of their games but this one. UF gets an additional good home game. If we are talking money this hurts FSU much more than us. Money runs everything. Screw FSU- They are at this point a non entity except to themselves. UF and UGA fought to keep games, didn’t happen too bad.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    Hope the whole season is canceled. This is trash.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    September 26- November 28 are the 10 consecutive Saturdays

I guess there will be no bye week unless they are planning on playing into December.

What happened to the SEC schools that didn't want to play a 9th conference game because the league was so competitive.

Now they could play 10 SEC opponents in a row and have to deal with COVID-19 too

4. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy

I would guess they are figuring no non conference the first week of December and conference championship game on December 19th gives them one week bye and a off week before the conference championship is what I read. I

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    10 SEC games over 12 weeks. Each team gets one bye week which will be treated like the NFL and spread over 3 weeks for all teams. No games scheduled for Dec. 12 but this date must be left open to be used as a make up date as needed. SEC Championship Dec. 19.

They felt Sept. 26 was the earliest they could run this. The only option we had would be the exact same model with a Sept. 19 start. Leave Dec. 5 and Dec. 12 as open dates allowing schools to play on Dec. 5th as needed. The issue is the SEC wants total control of the schedule to better be prepared for the unpreparable. If the UF-FSU game is scheduled for Dec. 5 in that scenario, that limits options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    I just saw the FSU president out collecting aluminum cans from a dumpster and rounding up coke bottles on the side of the road....this cancellation might totally break them financially....after the officiating screw jobs we get from them every other maybe we just dump them and let their coffers go to zero...adios.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The Southeastern Conference has established Sept. 26 as the new kickoff for the 2020 football season, SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey announced Thursday. The 2020 SEC football season will be comprised of a 10-game Conference-only schedule.

This action was taken following extensive discussions and thorough deliberation among the SEC's Presidents and Chancellors, Athletics Directors, Conference Office staff, and medical advisors, led by the SEC's Return to Activity and Medical Guidance Task Force.

A revised schedule for the 2020 season will be announced at a later date following approval by the Conference's athletic directors.

"The safety of our student-athletes, staff and fans will remain the top priority as we navigate the return to collegiate athletic competition," UF athletics director Scott Stricklin said. "We will continue to lean on the advice of the SEC Medical Task Force, UF Health, CDC, Campus and state health officials as we develop safety protocols and stadium capacity guidelines."

The SEC Football Championship Game will be played Dec. 19 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, rescheduled from the original date of Dec. 5. The schedule will include one mid-season open date for each school and an open date on Dec. 12 for all schools.

"Once we have an idea of what our attendance capacity could be, we will release our ticketing and seating plan and communicate that to our 2020 season ticket holders," Stricklin added. "That plan will include multiple, flexible options for 2020 and whatever option they choose, their season tickets will be available for them to renew in the 2021 season."

The decision to limit competition to Conference-only opponents and rescheduling the SEC Championship Game is based on the need for maximum flexibility in making any necessary scheduling adjustments while reacting to developments around the pandemic and continued advice from medical professionals.

"While we are still navigating some uncertainty, I do know that each day we move closer to the time when Gators fans can be together to cheer on the Orange and Blue," said Stricklin.

8. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    One thing that we could all try to keep in mind...these administrators are doing their best under fairly impossible circumstances. The pressure they are under must be immense. They have a lot more data available than we do, a lot more experience doing these things, and we should grant a little trust. I bet they could rattle off 50 things none of us are even contemplating.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Depending on what happens with bowls/playoffs, I wonder if they would allow a +1 after the seccg or maybe coordinate with the bowls. Maybe Let’s find a way to play them in Jacksonville in January

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    This sucks. I was really looking forward to destroying those discombobulated clowns this year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. MarineG8R

MarineG8R All American

Nov 19, 2014

Not a good look if true. SC seems to be only team with balls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Baller

Baller GC Hall of Fame

Sep 17, 2011
    Lakeland, Florida
    Quoting to read

Ouch

13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I don't hope for this, but feel much of the acrimony here will be empty. The season will be cancelled before the end of September.

14. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty much every SEC team is going to have a tougher schedule now. How does that not count for having balls?

I mean, we might have just traded Eastern Washington and f$u for Bama and A&M. Now that takes balls.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    If Bama had an out of conference rival, I have no doubts we would be playing fsu also. Just more crap from Bham.
    Can't wait to see the official SEC schedule redo.

As for fsu fans, they should be saying a big thank you. No beat down this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. MarineG8R

MarineG8R All American

Nov 19, 2014
    That doesn’t take balls, that’s the SEC shoving their junk down UF’s throat and saying here is your schedule. The rest of the SEC doesn’t have a legit OOC rivalry like UF, they could care less.

Now had FSU’s president voted No, you know damn well every Gator fan would be calling them out on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    There's going to be two bye weeks for all teams. One for each team around mid season and another at the end of the season for all the teams.

18. avgator2000

avgator2000 Junior

Feb 2, 2019
    Oswego, NY
    How in the hell is driving 2 hours to Tally less safe than having to travel to Oxford, MS?
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Jan 9, 2009
    How can we have uncertain times if we know the answers to questions like this?

20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    FSU lucked out not having to play UF.

• Agree Agree x 4