Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

No fans at the NCAA Tourney

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ThePlayer, Mar 11, 2020.

1. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    This graph is worth 10,000 words. This graph clearly shows an exponential increase in the number of those infected.

I hope I'm wrong, but this thing is gonna get worse before it gets better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    What is a "regular non scary flew?"
    If you mean the influenza virus, the CDC states:

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza

The CDC states that 34,200 people died from the "regular less scary flew" as you so eloquently stated as opposed to the mere 10,000 people who you said died from the "flew." Your numbers are all over the place, sir.

Maybe you need to get another source from you numbers. Perhaps stop relying on your Chinese friends to support you with statistics.

BTW, I hope I am completely, totally wrong about the dangers of Covid-19. I will gladly eat crow covered in crow sauce baked inside a murder of crows if I am wrong.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ding ding ding. This guy gets it. Read this article as it referenced just that.

Why we should stop comparing the Covid-19 coronavirus outbreak to the 1918 Spanish flu

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  4. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I am NOT spouting garbage, I am spouting scientific facts. For God's sake, I have a BS from UF in Microbiology with an emphasis on Virology and Epidemiology. I have a doctorate degree (DMD).
    I am countering this other dude with CDC-sourced biostatistics. I am providing source websites from the CDC to back up my concerns and arguments. Are the other people providing these things/links? No, they are not.
    Look, I am not an epidemiologist, but I have taken graduate level classes on both Virology and Epidemiology at UF, so I know a little bit about this public health crisis.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    There are roughly 270,000 people in Alachua County and 15 Publix stores. The math for "several thousand" people to pass through every Publix every day doesn't really work.

Regardless, this is about probability. For the next couple weeks I'm going to go Publix when I need groceries. I'm not going to use my annual pass at Universal Studios where there actually are thousands of people from other countries walking around in close proximity. It's not a binary zero sum game.

Playing the NCAA tournament without fans is literally 67 occurrences of 15,000 plus people being in close contact with each other. That's 67 fewer opportunities for a pandemic to spread. Even factoring individuals who attend multiple games, that's hundreds of thousands of people. It doesn't mean it's going to solve everything. It's just helping the odds. It's simple math.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. atlmover

atlmover All American

Feb 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    You totally missed my point...

My "friends" are coordinating the response here not China. They were supposed to go to Asia a month or so ago meet with various officials about the outbreak including the head of the Chinese CDC BUT the trip was cancelled because of the outbreak!!! THAT probably makes sense to you.

7. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I suspect that Disney, Universal and other theme parks will be closing within 4-6 days. This is a public health emergency folks.
    The fewer people who contact other people is a win-win.
    Please don't underestimate this virus. It is legit.

8. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Let's just agree to disagree :)

9. atlmover

atlmover All American

Feb 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't understand why this issue has become so political. It should me a medical issue that has not relationship to politics. I am tired of everything having an agenda attached to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    China & South Korea look to have brought the virus under control in 4-5 weeks. If the U.S. follows this pattern, hopefully we'll peak next week & be under control by the 1st week of April.

11. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Did you read my article?

12. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree, but look no further than post #19 on this thread blaming the media presumably because of the President.

People like that who make it political when it isn't because they don't like what they see.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    When you drive do you wear your seatbelt? Do you get drunk before you drive? Do you follow the rules of the road? Drive on the right side of the road and go the correct way down one way streets? Think of this as one of those precautions. It's not foolproof but it's good to not take unnecessary risks. It's a stupid basketball tournament we're talking about.

14. Bradass

Bradass GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Neptune

Neptune Senior

Jul 19, 2007
    What about the NIT?
    It may be the only show in town...
    Could be a ratings goldmine!

16. lifetimeg8r

lifetimeg8r All American

Jan 18, 2008
    I was at the game when he scored 53 against us in 1988. He was a baller!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    If the worst were to happen, and the Holes were to win the NCAA Tournament (I will atone for even thinking this believe me)

If no one was there to see and witness it, did it really happen?

18. g8rboy

g8rboy VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    Funny. They have a chance to actually make a run. And it’ll get canceled.

• Like Like x 1