Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

No belly-aching for an 8 team playoff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GratorGator, Dec 8, 2019.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I see it the other way around. Automatic berths are going to reward those that played a lighter schedule while cutting short teams that may have been arbitrarily denied a conference championship. And following your same philosophy through, why are we making a distinction between the P5 and the G5? How do we know for sure unless we put all the champions together? Why do we trust "the eye test" when comparing the differences between P5 and G5, but we aren't willing to trust it when evaluating P5 teams?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

2. antny1

antny1 All American

Dec 3, 2019
    All good. The Clemson reference was a general reference to the value of undefeated records despite massive discrepancies in schedule(see BYU 1984). The Top 4 this year is the way it shook out and that is the way it should be under the current circumstances. We will never know how Clemson would fair with an SEC schedule nor how Florida would have done with Clemsons.

My gripe this year is how they ranked 5 through 10 following the championship weekend which to me satisfied an agenda for bowl marketing. As far as a playoff of 6 or 8 goes I am in favor of expanding the field as long as one team can go an entire season without playing a top 10 or 20 team while another team may play several yet the main thing that counts is how many Ls in the loss column.

3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Solid point you’re making - I just think going to more teams in a playoff has a bigger downside than upside. And, with the current system they need to shitcan the obsolete bowl/conference affiliations. That became irrelevant back in the days of the BCS and is even more so now - and it’s a big factor in the 5-10 stupid bowl matchups you’re citing.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Footnote: the “tough schedule” issue is a double-edged sword for the SEC. Yes a 1-loss SEC non-conference champion may well be better than an undefeated ACC or Big12 champion - but on the other hand, an SEC champion will likely never be denied a spot in the 4-team playoff.

So for us it simply boils down to winning the SEC: if you do, the rest takes care of itself - if you don’t, then you’ll likely miss the playoff. I’m ok with that. It’s the same argument that sent us to Glendale back in January 2007.

Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. antny1

antny1 All American

Dec 3, 2019
    I agree with one exception. Has there been an undefeated conference champion from the ACC, big televen, big 12 or Pac Wtvr to get snubbed yet? I like that sec teams are usually battle tested but I'm not sure the gauntlet of playing Georgia, LSU, Bama etc and then potentially a rematch with a Western team in the conference championship before having to play two top 4 games to win it all outweighs playing an easier schedule in a "respected" conference.

6. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    I am open to expanding it further. At this point, I think the next logical step is 8.

My opinion is that if there are two paths to the playoffs, ADs won't be as concerned to schedule tougher. It may pay off if you need one of the at large spots, but if you drop a game or two they won't prevent your chance of making the playoffs. IMO, the ambiguity with how a committee looks at schedules is preventing some of these better matchups.

7. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    No, I get that you don't want an 8-team playoff. But 4 doesn't work for me mathematically unless we create 4 super-conferences and force ND to join.

8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Clearly it doesn’t. No argument there man. I just think as long as we win the SEC we’re in is good enough for me.

Accommodating a 1-loss SEC non-conference champion who may be better than the undefeated ACC champ by bringing in 2 or 4 extra teams - most of whom would not be deserving of an NC - introduces bigger issues in my opinion.

Win the SEC and we’re in. Screw the other teams.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Screw Notre Dame - they have chosen to put themselves above everyone else by refusing to join a conference. Now.....one scenario that would really make your point is if ND gets chosen over another conference champion. And they always get the love, so I can see that happening. Then I find myself leaning your way.

Good discussion

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Yeah I don't get ND. They always seem to have at least three ranked teams on their schedule, across a strong mix of P12, B10(14), and ACC teams, and their cupcakes are always FBS. But when they have the occasional undefeated season they do not fare well and get an early farewell. I think they should be mandated to join a conference. BYU is another story, but their relevance was 35 years ago and controversial at the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    How does 8 work? There are 10 conferences. The same method you are using to determine the bottom two conference champs don't matter is how others are comfortable with determining that a 5th or 6th team doesn't matter.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

12. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    If a G5 is clearly a force with which to reckoned, the 8 slots allow for wildcards. I think that last one to be near the top 8 at bowl announcement (and hasn't yet joined a p5) is Boise State ... but I can't think of the last time there were 2 in the top 10 at the end of the regular season.

13. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought the point was to not have to rely on a committee to evaluate how good you are. If we're trusting their judgment, why can't we trust it to identify the top 4 teams?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

14. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    Man, running my 16 member tennis league and determining playoff spots is So much easier than the intricacies of the CFP!

15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    So the answer to an underserving team making the playoff is add more underserving teams, which reduces the chances for the deserving teams to actually win, and increases the likelihood of an undeserving team winning?

16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Yeah... I'm sure the lack of controversy has nothing to do with the fact that the audience is I don't know... a small fraction of what D1 football is? :rolleyes:

The BCS had controversy... A 4 team playoff has controversy... Am I supposed to believe that if we were to move to 8 teams, all of the controversy would go away? :rolleyes:

Don't insult my intelligence...

EDIT: "Let's change our playoff system to that of women's basketball, they don't have any controversy..." Yeah... because nobody watches women's basketball.

17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    LSU proved they were better than Florida during the regular season... There is no argument for Florida to be the best team in the country this season...

Perhaps Florida is better than Clemson this season, perhaps not... that's why you have Clemson in the playoff... they're the defending champs from a power 5 conference who went undefeated and won their conference championship...

Even though Florida has more impressive wins this season than Clemson, there is no argument to be made that Florida is the best team in the country, this season... There is an argument for Clemson...

18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    LSU and Ohio State would be worthy even with a loss...

Both were battle tested in the regular season... I've already broken down Ohio State's schedule and LSU's schedule on this thread... I'm not going to do it again...

Clemson probably wouldn't... I'm happy to admit they played a crappy schedule but they went undefeated and were power 5 conference champs... Are you suggesting they shouldn't have been in? That the defending national champions who went undefeated in the power 5 with perhaps the best QB prospect in the country shouldn't have made the playoff? Yeah... and if they didn't make the playoff you'd also be saying "this is why we need 8 teams, Clemson, the defending national champs didn't make the playoff." Just stop... There's obviously no winning with you...

Why don't you be clear... Who deserves to be in?

19. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Because there will be outlier years in which such identification is not clear. Like 2007 or 2014.

20. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Ohio State won. They proved it on the field. TCU was also impressive in the postseason. I don't see either as being truly undeserving, they both deserved it but the 4 slots didn't make it possible.