Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

No belly-aching for an 8 team playoff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GratorGator, Dec 8, 2019.

1. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    No matter how many teams 8 or twelve, someone is always going to be bitching, we got left out.
    Let the guys have a life, have some holidays, they aren’t getting paid, unless of course the traditional
    Alabama, LSU, Ohio st., clemson’s Of the world, where grades don’t matter, pell grants are maxed out, people moving whole families across the globe, cars and trucks, amongst the few extras they receive. So no, the NCAA won’t stop this, so the same teams pretty much show up again and again with eight teams, plus the disparity will get wider between the teams coming into the fray.Think pro vs student athletes. I am adamant, eight playoff games, this would just be wrong.

Does your lifestyle revolve around just football. Look out for the student athlete, not corporate greed, tv, without regard for the athlete having a life. Let the pros deal with the fallout between the seasons getting longer, exhibition games etc. More chances for players to get hurt and have life altering effects later. The exhibition games are why pro football lost me. People wanting football year round. Eight teams is a money grab hidden by people giving a political excuse. Who is looking out for the players?

2. antny1

antny1 All American

Dec 3, 2019
    No no no man. Its more important to win your conference even if that conference has 1 ranked team at the end of the year. I mean sure LSU, Georgia, auburn, Florida, Alabama etc are better than anyone else in the ACC but an undefeated conference record is still more important!:eek:

3. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    You're a conspiracy theorist, I see.

Sure, someone is always going to be left "out". But unless we combine into 4 super conferences a 4 game CFP doesn't make sense. Once again, the extra game will only apply to two (2) teams. That's just 2 teams. Again, 2 teams. There will be about 130 teams with 85+ players who would love to have that grueling reality, to be one of those lucky 2 teams.

One year we will have an impossible scenario. It's more likely that it will be a handful of one or two-loss teams, but it will be several who have comparable resumes, and it will be more than 4 teams. I would rather it play out on the field. We have 5 major conferences (and ND) for just 4 slots.

Some high schools play 15 games when one includes playoffs. This is one more game than that (for just 2 teams). Basketball plays more than twice as many games, during the school week, with lots of collisions and no protection, with all members playing offense and defense--let's not pretend this is about the welfare of the student athlete. It's about the logistics of moving 100 people and filling a huge stadium. Look at some of the Gators teams from 100 years ago; they would play games less than a week apart and sometimes play two games in one day. It's logistics based on the optimal amount of money to be earned, and the reason that there aren't more games is based on the idea that there will be diminished returns for excessive product. It's not that the players can't play at a high level for a longer season, it's that the money works on the side of making the product scarce.

4. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Look at Tua, hopefully he will play in the pros, at a high level, so he gets his rewards. If not, people will get what I am saying. Hopefully he doesn’t limp for life. He let the gimps tell him what they wanted in an one for all type scenario. I can’t believe he did it, they must have provided a lot for him and his family. Why else would Tua let them experiment with his body. He left both the last two years injured. Tough as they come, best offensive line, didn’t last one full season. So, too many games already! Don’t be part of the money grab and Mano a Mano, I want more football to make me forget the real world realities. Job, family and friends, hopefully football doesn’t define you.
    Some people want football year-round. Eight if they. Expand, then people will want 12. Where does it end.

Would you want your son to play QB for Alabama!
    Or even Florida, and when he goes down, with an injury that he would have to give up football, would you feel, it’s just the game?

5. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    College Football Playoff selection committee chair Rob Mullens, the athletics director at Oregon, even said that Georgia was the lone team in consideration for the No. 4 spot along with Oklahoma. This following their beat down by LSU

This is outrageous. Wtf!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    So, the announced 4 teams get to play each other and get a chance to win a mythical championship. I say this because they all have been and continue to be until a common sense playoff takes over.
    The playoff simply has to be the same as D2. How difficult is that? Well apparently everyone else can do it except for the biggest most money making schools.

Look at the 4 "selections" and honestly say they are the best of all teams. LSU has done very well this year and had opponents capable of winning but LSU outperformed everyone.

Ohio State and Clemson? Based on what? Seriously. What propelled them into the playoffs? Schedule is the valued partner to these teams because they dont have opponents worthy enough to determine how superior they are when assessing all playoff candidates.

Oklahoma? Guess it's been too long since relevancy so here they are.

My point is I like competition and I love tournaments and playoffs. I dislike this popularity contest of selected beauty pageant contestants. To me, this so called playoff is nothing more than a business related entertainment show and simply is a 4 team tournament that crowns the winner of a tournament. National Championship? Not until every conference champion is in the picture.

7. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    4 was the right number this year. The four most deserving teams are playing. If UF wants in, they need to win the SEC like LSU did this year

• Like Like x 1
  8. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    What game did Tua go down this year? Maybe we should limit college eligibility to only 1.5 years?

A 12 game playoff is just as dumb as a 6 game playoff. 8 is the right number. It ends at 8.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    I don’t want to see blowouts for the sake of someone whining, think UCF, Norte Dame, Oregon etc. Eight games is appeasement for the political correct. They got it right this year, so no.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Junior

Sep 25, 2016
    I see the desire for NFL-ization is as strong on this board as the rest of the internet.

Playoffs! 6 teams, 8 teams, why not 16! It’s not fair until we settle it on the field! Oregon losing to a mediocre Arizona St, well, that doesn’t count! UGA losing at home to awful South Cackalacky, that doesn’t matter! Baylor lost twice to OU- who cares, give em a shot to settle it on the field! Wisconsin lost at home to garbage Illinois... settle it on the field I say! All that matters is settling it on the field with whoever gets hot at the end of the year! Transfer portal free agency! Paying players above the table! Basketball-on-grass officiating! Soon, no kickoffs and no punts! Sitting out bowl games! Soon, sitting out playoff games!

It’s inevitable. Everything that made CFB the best, most passionate sport on the planet slowly eroding away. And I’ll continue to point it out as it happens.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Now you're changing your reasoning. Aren't blowout games more likely to feature backups, thereby limiting snaps for those you deem oh so overworked?

Blowouts happen even in the CFP championship game, so what gives?

Political correct? I'll be happy to take this to Too Hot, but that's an absurd statement.

12. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Your strawman argument ignores that there are people who agree with expansion while disagreeing with other aspects you've listed.

13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No matter what, the current system is light years better than the 0-team playoff system that used to be in place: "Hey, let's take the best two teams in the country, and have them play in completely separate bowl games so we can't figure out who to declare a national champion!"

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I think the only conference games that you should HAVE to play are those within your division. This permanent cross division opponent shit is nonsense. UF gets LSU, Alabama get Tenn and AU gets UGA. Horsecrap.

Require the East to play all of the East. That gives you six conference games. Best record goes to the SECCG. Then the teams can schedule whatever OTHER six games they want. If Alabama wants to keep UT on the schedule and vice versa, then they can agree to that. Same with UGA and AU. Those cross divisional games won't count for your record to determine who goes to ATL, only your division record.

This would allow UF to schedule 3-4 games a year outside the conference (OR within the conference) with P5 schools and the couple of cupcakes we need for Homecoming and a midseason break.

15. antny1

antny1 All American

Dec 3, 2019
    I'm not clamoring we got robbed but I'm also not gonna act like a healthy Greenard and Zuniga doesn't put us in contention with any of the top 4 even given our glaring deficiency in the run game.

People actually think Oklahoma, untested Clemson are that much better than a full strength Florida given the resumes? I don't see it.

16. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    I have to disagree. Personally, I don't think anyone from the flag football conference is worthy. No one tackles in that league.If you eliminate defense, that is a big third of the game , and thus no complete team. An incomplete team shouldn't make the Final Four.Clemson will score 50 on Okie.

17. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    If you are right about the injuries, and you are, then it goes that no one should play football. Your point addresses the game more than the schedule. How many players every year get hurt in the Spring? In the Summer? First game ? Look at Franks. It didn't even take 4 games for him to get injured and lost for the year. I feel sorry for him too.

18. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clemson hasn't played anybody, but they've completely dismantled the top 4 teams that they've played (#32, #33, #40, #46 on Massey compare) to the tune of 183-40. They didn't have any margin for error with their schedule, and they didn't need to worry about it anyway because they won all their games. Their one blip was a 1-point win against North Carolina. Aside from that, all of their other FBS wins were by double-digits, and 9 of them were by at least 31 points. They have the talent and the experience to win their next two games. I think it's going to be fun to watch them play Ohio State.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    6 team playoff would be a disaster. How do you choose who gets the bye. Plenty of people, me included, talk about this team is the best and that team doesn't deserve it. The schedules are unbalanced. Rankings are a joke. Let them decide it on the field. No one complains about any of the other National Championships in NCAA.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    A lot of people may say "who cares," but what about Notre Dame?

I disagree that a conference championship must be a prerequisite for qualifying for the playoff.
    It's a significant factor, but it shouldn't be mandatory...