Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

No belly-aching for an 8 team playoff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GratorGator, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    I’m a fan of using a conference championship games as a round in the playoffs

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I’d like to see six teams. Five conference champions at the highest ranked at large team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    The 4 teams that would be added to make it an 8 team playoff don’t deserve to play for the title ... They had their shot. I’m guessing it would be UGA, UF, PSU, Oregon in some kind of order... but if we are being honest, do any of them look like a playoff team? I don’t think so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Fine like it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. murphree_hall

murphree_hall Senior

Jul 11, 2019
    I respectfully disagree with a lot of what you said.

Fans want it because it's not legitimate the way it's currently set up. Name one other sport that is so subjective in who gets to go to the playoffs and who doesn't. You see huge upsets in the NCAA Basketball tournament all the time, and that's what makes it great. I can totally see UF getting hot and making a run in an 8 team playoff. They hung with LSU until the end at Baton Rouge. As far as some conferences being tougher and making it easier on teams from weak conferences, it's not like they are playing flag football in weak conferences. They still get hit. SEC still dominates college football for the most part. I don't recall us saying that our tough SEC schedule was a disadvantage in the title game before while we were winning all the titles, so why would it be now. Not to mention there is a pretty long gap to get rest between the last regular season game and the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    It’s likely going to be expanded soon, and IMO it should. How many posts are talking about who “looks” like a playoff team? The selection should be as objective as possible. Conference champs should have an automatic path.

Fans that want more P5 non-conference games should be championing it as well. If there’s less risk involved in taking a non conference loss we’ll see more of the big OOC games fans are looking for.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Anchors Aweigh Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Here is an interesting article from the G5, particularly AAC, perspective. Written by a guy who thoroughly dissects Navy option game film.
    TheMidReport - Holding the Playoff Committee Accountable

• Like Like x 1
  8. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    8-team playoff? Hell no!
    6-team playoff? Yes, please!

9. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    There isn't any bellyaching this year for an 8-team playoff because there wasn't a true 5 or 6 that could be a better 3 or 4 choice. I don't like it.

I think I just bellyached. So at least there is ONE bellyache this year.

10. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    Correct, all of the teams in the playoff this year are conference Champions.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    I have been wanting 16 forever, everybody on the planet does it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    I have been in the twitters while reading complainers from Ohio State.

They are bitching about SEC bias. If an eight team playoff happened this year we are talking three or 4 SEC teams playing.

The complaining would reach earth quake seismic levels

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If the playoffs expand to 8 we may want to consider either switching conferences or become independent. We could create our own schedule or find a weak conference to dominate. Then we would be healthy come playoff time and take care of business.

14. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    We would be in the conversation in an 8 team playoff, if it were this year. I'm all for it currently. Personally, I think we are better than Baylor. JMHO

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  15. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Explain why you disagree. .??

16. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    This isn't to me, but that extra game only applies to 2 teams out of 130 or so. That's two teams with several players who will make NFL dreams regardless of fatigue (and will have 16 games in the NFL anyway). Most teams will still have 12-13 games.

Also, making it more games would call out the weaker teams who play weaker schedules. You said
    ... well, the BCS would be worst, CFP (4 team model) bad, but an 8 team version would weaken this disadvantage. You are unknowingly advocating for an expanded playoff.

Furthermore, the model should exist to eliminate contingencies. Let's say Oregon, Oklahoma, and ND were all undefeated. That's six undefeated teams in the P5+ ND. Let's also say there is one team that lost close in an early game but has dominated since (like UF in 2008). We can say it's unfair since they lost their division ... but if we look at the other conferences they have vastly superior strength of schedule.

It only makes sense to have an 8 team playoff. Even if some years look like 2007, it only makes sense--especially in a year like 2007. If the point is to anoint some "juggernaut" then we should just go back to the days when they awarded championships before the bowls.

17. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Oklahoma would bury Clemson this year.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I really disagree with this. The SEC needs a winner and it isn't remotely fair to do it based on record against different opponents. And I think most conferences feel that way.

19. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

To be frank, I don't like the playoffs at all. I would be happy to return to the chaos and anarchy of the bowl system. But that is neither here nor there.

With the playoff system, the goal is to put the four best teams in it. If two of those teams are from the same conference, then so be it. Only one team can win the conference, but that does not mean that one conference has more than one team in the top four. Let the chips fall where they may.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. g8rnc

g8rnc All American

May 13, 2015
    Conference championship games should basically be the first round of an expanded playoffs.