Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

No belly-aching for an 8 team playoff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GratorGator, Dec 8, 2019.

1. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Well they don't do it anymore. La Tech played 6 home games this year.

There was a day not that many years ago (maybe 1992?) when Ole Miss sold their home game with UF to Orlando. They don't do that anymore. Not even La Tech. There's a lot more money now in hosting home games than there was back then.

Legally, schools probably could still do it, but why would they?

2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    UCF is turning down 2 for 1’s and demanding 1 for 1’s.

3. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    By the way. There are 10 conferences which would include 10 participants plus wild cards. Guess I did really get you there! :) Ouch!

I need to say this and take it however you like. Many of us post our opinions on this site without any need for your debate or condescending comments such as"I'll take it as you're just whining" comments. I don't care how you take my opinion! Get it. You are irrelevant in my life and my beliefs. Life isn't about being attacked over what is a very worthless discussion about a playoff so you can call it whining, you can call it stupid, you can call it ridiculous but my advice to you is if that is all you got then find a book, go to the beach, enjoy a good movie and put down the computer. Its late at night here in my ill informed humble dwellings in Himmafushi Maldives and last I checked is nobody here cares about a college playoff! How do they live minute by minute not attacking each other over a playoff? How do they do it! Its 82 degrees tonight...rain has stopped...crickets are noticeable...guess I am just "whining"! :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting, they prefer the old non-playoff bowl structure.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    I am laughing because for a brief, well not so brief, second I thought...when did I post that response! Then it struck me that it was cherry picked from my reply to Gator715! Thanks for that moment of "what the ….! LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  6. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    If 8 team playoff existed today. (First issue is who gets final at-large spot, Wisco or Fla?)
    1 LSU* vs 8 Memphis
    2 Ohio St* vs 7 Wisco/Fla
    3 Clemson* v 6 Baylor
    4 Oklahoma* vs 5 Oregon*
    *-conference champ

7. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    This would be a great year for an 8 team playoff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    I have always thought that 4 teams isn’t enough. We need 8 teams. Wildcards do win SuperBowls in the NFL. It’s bizarre that people think a team with one or two losses is unworthy of a playoff spot. College football is weird to me in this respect. Only major sport whose championship is so political.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 All American

Jan 5, 2010
    In the NFL, the system is designed to have teams go 8-8. College is not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Any facts to support this claim?

• Like Like x 1
  11. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    There are 32 NFL teams and 130 FBS teams. I don't think anybody thinks expanding the playoff to 8 teams would get a .500 team in. Also, FBS football has far less equitable scheduling and a shorter season (smaller sample size to distinguish the better teams).
    One could argue that the exclusivity of a 4-team playoff has made NCAA football boring in that it's pretty much the usual suspects contending for those spots every year. I expect we'll get to 8 some day...just wish it were this year (with an even smaller regular season sample size).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Cincinnati undefeated
    Marshall undefeated
    BYU undefeated
    Liberty/Coastal winner will likely be undefeated
    Nevada/San Jose winner may be undefeated
    Oregon undefeated
    Indiana/Northwestern winner undefeated
    Notre Dame possibly undefeated?

Does anybody else get considered if these teams win out?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

13. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Great points.

It’s very frustrating to see some really good teams not get a shot because of one or two losses, or with zero losses but less school reputation. No way a .500 team is getting in when 1.000 teams can’t even get in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    College football has always been bizarre in its"logic." The idea of losing a game early being better than late often times regardless of opponent strength is such a dumb concept. Example...losing a late season game to a top 5 team at the end of the year is usually a death sentence for national championship hopes unless your name is alabama. Conversely, if a popular blue blood loses a game early regardless of schedule strength they often times went unpunished at the end of the year .

Archaic mindset. Same as the idea that out of 130 teams only 4 deserve a shot at the end especially given the difference in schedules. Such a backward thinking field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Are you advocating for or against an 8-team playoff?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

yawn

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Great question. First, it's political because the schedules are unbalanced. BYU is scheduled to play some kids from my neighborhood in a couple of weeks, they'll probably win and remain undefeated. I don't know about you, but I don't want to see any expansion that floods the playoffs with a bunch of BYUs and Coastal Carolinas. I like the subjective evaluation that yields us 1-loss power 5 teams over undefeated B-league teams. If we're talking expansion, I don't want to see the best 8 conference champions make it. I think at most you should have 4 conference champions, but with the provisions that they need to have no more than 2 losses and also ranked in the top 10. If only 3 conference champions fit that mold, then you have 5 wildcard teams that year.

The other thing is, I see no way the SEC Championship Game survives an expansion to 8 teams. There will be some years where a team may need to win the SECCG to make the field of 8, but in other years, you'll likely see teams rest players to prepare for the playoffs. When there was no playoff, the SECCG was huge. With a two-team pseudo playoff, it was still a big deal and mostly mandatory to win, but we saw our first flaw with an Oklahoma team getting blasted by 28 points in their conference championship game still making it to the BCS Championship Game. With the expansion to 4 teams, we've now seen a team not need to make their conference championship game and still make the playoffs. We are likely at the point where teams don't necessarily need to win the conference championship game, but it's not obvious enough for anybody to test that theory. With 8 there will be some givens. Just something to think about.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Ugh!

19. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    I agree that it shouldn't be the top 8 conference champions. It should be the top 8 teams. That would avoid many of the issues you mentioned above. As far as the SECCG, I'm not as invested in it as others, so I'm probably the wrong person to comment on that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I go with what I always do in this argument. It isn't so much about who gets left out at this time but rather WHEN a team gets left out, looks the part to be included and then shows everyone in their bowl game they COULD have been a serious contender, THEN we can get serious about adding teams.

Last year was a damn bad year for expansion. Two elite teams and no one else could claim "they could have done better than the other two teams selected." This year I don't expect any bowl game that is going to give anyone pause. This is a truly bizarre year and on any given week something crazy can happen.

Well, except for Florida to lose to a winless Vanderbilt team.:)