Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

No belly-aching for an 8 team playoff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GratorGator, Dec 8, 2019.

1. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    At least not this year. Nor have I heard any from a team politikin' to be included and complaining about only 4 teams. In truth, looks like only 3 teams - this year - deserve a shot at the Championship.

Would it be "fun" and lucrative if Whisky, Florida, Baylor and PSU were in an expanded field? Absolutely! Still, the clamor for fairness this year will fall on deaf ears.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. gatordpm

gatordpm Premium Member

Mar 15, 2011
    I feel like conference championships are becoming a thing of the past though with a playoff system.

Seems like a useless thing to have when any of the top three yesterday could have losses and still been in the playoff.

I’m one that doesn’t believe we even need a four team playoff every year but I could get behind an 8 team playoff if you lose conference championship games.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GTR75

GTR75 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I think conference championship games will disappear as they only add risk to CFP teams.

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Only adding risk isn’t true. Beating a good team at the end of the year could easily vault you into the top four, as happened with Ohio St a few years ago and probably others, forcing the Big 12 to start one.

Basically, you don’t what that game if you are #4, but you definitely want it if you are #5.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Too much money involved. Can’t speak for the other conferences but the SEC Championship weekend in Atlanta is a heck of an event.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. merinker

merinker All American

May 28, 2019
    Really? Tell that to Utah, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Baylor.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    Conference championship off aren't going anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. GATORAJE

GATORAJE GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Luling, Louisiana
    Nah. Won't happen too much money involved in it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd be happy if the Bowls did away with their conference tie-ins...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    Plus, at times it does expose teams that should not be in the top four like UGA this year.

• Winner Winner x 4
  11. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Especially in the SEC, you have to have a conference championship. How else would you determine the champion? Only playing 8 conference games means a lot of teams aren't playing each other, and some are getting stuck with really difficult automatic cross-division games. Gotta have it unless you shrink the conferences and everyone plays everyone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    Or go to a 9 game schedule, maybe not perfect but better than 8.

13. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    Great point. I’ve been saying this for a month now... No one is really worthy of the 4th spot. It would be silly to add 4 more on top of that. It’s a huge drop off after Clemson.

And yes, if they do expand the playoff then the CCG needs to go.

14. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Love Conference Championship games because they create one more potentially challenging game for would be playoff entries that may have played easy schedules. This year the Pac championship game eliminated Utah. Perfect!
    These games represent a defacto extension of the playoffs and builds upon conference tradition. After 30 years of conference championship games they are themselves traditional.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    In fact, the controversy would increase with 4 more, as #6-10 gets kinda muddled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I used to be against it, but, I'm beginning to realize now that an expanded playoff might give some of the bowl-game-skippers a reason to stick around to finish the season. Otherwise, maybe just stop counting wins and losses in the non-playoff bowl games and just call them exhibitions. Would need to drop a regular season game to do it, or make the championship week a play-off play-in game though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Money. The key reason why they will not go away.

Nor should day. Those games this week were elimination games

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. brokerdanob

brokerdanob Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lake Mary
    I would like the 8 team playoff with the 5 conference champions getting an automatic bid and 3 wildcards and seeding decided by the committee. Give the group of five one of the wildcards if they have an undefeated team regardless of rank.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    No expanded playoff. Too many games already for the players, too many injuries. Fans and tv want it for selfish reasons. the players, like Georgia found out last night, get injured. If you have played the game, you know that the SEC is a tough, physical conference. We don’t need tougher schedules and more games. This would give advantages to weak conferences with one or two bully teams, think OSU/Clemson. The only time they play anybody with a pulse, is the playoffs, an unfair advantage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Need 8. With 4 teams you shouldn’t be able to win a Natty if you don’t win your conference. Ohio State probably would have gotten in with a Loss. Not all schedules are equal so saying a team is better and more deserving because they have 1 loss compared to 2 is lazy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2