Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NIL Equals Buying Players

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ofmgator, Jan 7, 2022.

1. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    they weren't getting paid that kind of money!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Inflation is something else!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. BenTrillGriffin

BenTrillGriffin GC Legend

Oct 7, 2012
    Orlando
    I'm just glad we got a guy for that. :cool:

Billy Napier knows exactly what time it is. No matter what we think about the landscape, I'm just glad we'll be at the forefront of competing.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    You know, like back in the mid 90s you’d sell your records to the used records shop for whatever they would pay since you really didn’t have a lot of options? Then eBay came along and connected you to a whole new world of buyers and now some of those records are worth a lot more. eBay is NIL, your records are the student athletes and the buyers are the interested schools.

5. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    And that's different from the last 20-30 years because...?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Haven't read through the thread, so sorry if I missed it. Is there a link to the story?

7. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    Yes

• Like Like x 1
  8. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Make sure you send me a birth announcement of when that developmental league is due. Colleges and Universities shouldn't be in the business of professional sports, and if they are, all the revenue should be taxable, just like the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I agree wrt coaching salaries, which have been out of control for a long time, esp. in the departure packages. And I agree to an extent about the capitalism angle, but not so much the hypocrisy. People who complain that the kids have been taken advantage of financially have a point, but also forget certain factors.
    • Athletic scholarships are valuable. The meal plans alone are worth quite a bit and kids in the big-time football programs eat quite well.
    • There is a HUGE popularity privilege that comes with being a DI athlete, esp. one in the limelight. These kids can basically pick their partners and have a good run (;)) if they so choose. They get comp'd all the time, even when it was against the rules.
    • They get tutoring services the likes of which other students have to pay substantially for (or just don't have available).
    • They get swag like nobody's business - great shoes, pants, jackets, etc.
    I'm sure there are other goods/services I'm missing. The NIL will do more to promote inequity than equity, imo.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I am wondering about the taxes that will need to be paid. Does the IRS become the boogeyman that the infractions committee used to be. My guess is these kids need some serious tax advice. I think it will be funny when the first player can't play in a big game because he is being audited.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. bperkins10

bperkins10 GC Legend

May 25, 2007
    Illinois
    By who?

• Winner Winner x 3
  12. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Spot on! It seems to me that these athletes have been painted the "victim" as in "poor me" we're just not fairly compensated. So, those who have the power to change things, think, "we got to do something for these disadvantaged players who are being taken advantage of and compensate them by way of NIL". This way those in power can feel as if they are righting a wrong and are helping. A feel good thing. Trouble is, imho, it's going to ruin college football as we know it and ruin some young kids lives who will now have lots of money that comes with lots of temptations. Heck, even, older pro's can't handle the temptations of excessive money. Yes, I know, this has been going on underhanded, but now it's out in the open and a free for all. I agree, some people will get burned as a certain player won't pan out, but I can't see how all of this ends well. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. gatorempire

gatorempire GC Legend

Jul 23, 2021
    I'm not even sure it needs to be, but it's going to be weird until we hit equilibrium.

How many $1M throwaways to transfers and 5* that don't pan out are alumni willing to swallow? I'd wager not too many. A very good time to be a HS recruit, but I doubt it will last.

• Like Like x 2
  14. tripsright

tripsright Junior

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    Hmmmmm……that’s a really good question.

Edit: I think the individual entities providing the compensation are going to refine their approach to maximize the return. Which, to an extent, may decrease both the overall compensation offered and the number of athletes seen as worthy of the investment.
    Beyond that I really don’t know. Hard to imagine an individual conference placing itself at a competitive disadvantage by restricting/refining what is allowable.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  15. bperkins10

bperkins10 GC Legend

May 25, 2007
    Illinois
    I think it is going to come down to the federal government. You need one set of rules for all states so everyone is on a level playing field.

16. chunks1

chunks1 GC Legend

Jan 2, 2014
    Need to go to straight contract pay and do away with the illusion of an athletic scholarship.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Junior

Oct 14, 2017
    It would be very difficult for the Federal Government to set limits on what private parties can pay each other, and very difficult for the conferences or NCAA to do so as well without violating antitrust law.

As others have said, the risks of the market (busts) will temper the amounts paid, but it will be a good couple of years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. tripsright

tripsright Junior

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    God, please no! lol
    But, you’re probably correct. Especially if the Feds think they might be missing out on some of their share of the pie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tripsright

tripsright Junior

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    ^^^
    But, heck, they can’t successfully regulate anything.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Players association, collective bargaining agreement, full disclosure of student athletes financials. There’s already a model and the nfl knows how to do it. Something like this would have to split from the rest of teams that can’t afford to play. I really don’t see otherwise how you can tell someone how to spend their money. This is free market money in this system.

• Agree Agree x 2