Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NIH admits gain of function

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Oct 21, 2021.

1. studegator

studegator All American

Feb 24, 2008
    NIH Admits to Funding Gain-of-Function Research in Wuhan, Says EcoHealth Violated Reporting Requirements
    A
    top NIH official admitted in a Wednesday letter that U.S. taxpayers funded gain-of-function research on bat coronaviruses in Wuhan and revealed that EcoHealth Alliance, the U.S. non-profit that funneled NIH money to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, was not transparent about the work it was doing.

In the letter to Representative James Comer (R., Ky.), Lawrence A. Tabak of the NIH cites a “limited experiment” that was conducted to test if “spike proteins from naturally occurring bat coronaviruses circulating in China were capable of binding to the human ACE2 receptor in a mouse model.” The laboratory mice infected with the modified bat virus “became sicker” than those infected with the unmodified bat virus.

The revelation vindicates Republican senator Rand Paul, who got into heated exchanges with National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease director Anthony Fauci during his May and July testimonials before Congress over the gain-of-function question. At the second hearing, Paul accused Fauci of misleading Congress by denying that the U.S. had funded gain-of-function projects at the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The title of this thread is grossly misleading. It says that a non-profit funded The described research, which was bar viruses in mouse cells. Then, without facts, it accuses the non-profit of “funneling NHI money” for gain of function research. The balance of the story, which is they the article vindicated Rand Paul and contradicts Fauci, is unsupported opinion. Nowhere does that article provide facts that the NIH funded gain of function research. I suggest reading more closely.

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    FTR, the article is actually from the National Review Online. Yahoo was merely serving as a content aggregator. Reading the letter, there doesn't seem to be any such admission, and I'm not sure if the experiment described in the letter was actually gain of function.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    So what we have right now is that:

1. The NIH did not knowingly/deliberately fund GoF research
    2. But that the research plan provided by EcoHealth alliance at least alerted the NIH to GoF being a possible outcome even if GoF wasn't the goal of this specific grant experiment and that the plan didn't fit the criteria for GoF.
    3. EcoHealth Alliance did not report the findings immediately as was required.
    4. But the experiment itself could not have been responsible for the Covid pandemic because the virus under study (WIV-1) was too different than SARS-CoV-2 virus .

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    But I thought Rand Paul was vindicated? Aw shucks.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank goodness for #4.

As for #1, they might not knowingly done it, but it appears they funded research that did though.

It appears to me, the Chinese pulled the wool over our eyes again.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Def thank goodness

I'm not confident that it was the Chinese/WIV as opposed to EcoHealth Alliance itself. The NIH stated that EHA failed to report the findings immediately (meaning either sometime in 2019 or 2020, depending on when the experiment ended) not that EHA didn't know (presuming that it was WIV that actually conducted the experiment). It could be any number of reasons, but I suspect that one might be that EHA was spooked by the outbreak and perhaps knew that they might be implicated because of their work. The cover up being the crime or some such :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    Wow. There have been sooooooo many coincidences. But I'm sure it was just a pangolin covered in feces from a bat that lives 1000 miles from Wuhan. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    So Fauci lied his azz off.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Apparently, you can’t see past your right ring glasses to actually read. So, here is test. Like In school. Open the article and read it. And then read the comments about the article that discuss what it actually says.

11. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    It’s a general observation. We’ve had lots and lots of quinky dinks related to this virus. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    NIH and echo alliance are covering their ass I don't believe anything they put out. NIH knew exactly what Echo was doing and they lied about it. That's my take on it. E bright said that NIH received the relevant docs in 2018
    Don't know how he knows that.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Here's an article from 2015 Nature magazine (not exactly breitbart)
    about different experiments with bat coronavirus.

Read the article and it shows that this type of research was going on in spite of the moratorium in 2014, NIH actually allowed it to proceed. Gain of function research..

Engineered bat virus stirs debate over risky research - Nature

Daszak is prominent at all phases of these discussions.

Incentive to cover it up, how about 5 million deaths from the virus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    This has nothing to do with the current argument going on, but I want to point out a few things that I think I learned over the past 2 years and can regurgitate fairly accurately:

1. Gain of Function research, in general, goes on constantly (maybe not widely, but constantly) around the world for valid reasons. GoF research led to the original influenza vaccines for example.
    2. Bats 100% should be studied constantly. They have the most incredible immune systems on the planet. If we could unlock even 1/2 the secrets that bats contain, we could save tens of thousands of people world wide every single year.
    3. Finally, there has been no beta-corona viruses found in nature yet that even come close to SARS-CoV-2. Nothing in the Wuhan Lab, nothing in their records and so far, nothing in the entire country of China. The RaTG-13R that everyone keeps popping a right-wing chubby over is the evolutionary equivalent of about 100+ years of evolution away from SARS-CoV-2. RaTG-13 shared exactly 1 amino acid sequence at the Receptor Binding Domain that enables the virus to efficiently access the ACE-2 receptors. Not even close to the RBD sequences of SARS-CoV-2.

What we are almost certainly witnessing is yet another example of humans cannot readily explain something, therefore it must be some grand, complex conspiracy or the product of "evil forces". We used to call this magic. Then it was the will of the Gods. On and on it always has to be some mysterious force intentionally thwarting human beings......it could not possibly just be the way nature works and we are all too collectively ignorant to understand it.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    A conspiracy theorist’s mind has never been changed in the history of mankind except one time, and he died babbling in an insane asylum.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. studegator

studegator All American

Feb 24, 2008
    AAAS
    NIH says grantee failed to report experiment in Wuhan that created a bat virus that made mice sicker
    EcoHealth Alliance violated terms of grant, according to letter to House Republicans

17. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When you write " Gain of Function research, in general, goes on constantly" let's be clear there was a moratorium on gain of function research from Oct 2014 through Dec 2017 by the Obama admin. When you write about "some complex conspiracy or the product of evil forces" as the opposition to the zoonotic theory, IMO that's totally bogus. The issue is whether there was a cover-up of the type of research going on when things went haywire. There's a difference between a conspiracy and coverup, and my position is i lean heavily towards a coverup. For the reasons i posted in previous articles.

When you add nothing of value to the OP's discussion except to deride people who think differently than you, IMO that is what is going on in a partisan's mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    American virologists doing work in China that is explicitly illegal in the U.S.A.. Interesting... when are we as a country going to put an end to that loophole. These clowns were paid by Communist China to make a disease/deadly virus that has killed millions of people world wide.

And they're free still to roam the world inventing more plagues? Fauci lied and millions died.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1