Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nick Rolovich Out As Washington State Coach for Refusing COVID-19 Vaccine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Oct 18, 2021.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Nobody said it was. But vaccine mandates have been common for a long time. There was never a lot of hoopla about it. There are some sects who have always opposed vaccines. But what's going on right now has little to do with religion and a lot to do with politics.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Isn't part of the hoopla about it due to the idea that COVID vaccination stands alone as a vaccination that employers are checking for? Or am I unique in that I've never been asked to provide my lifetime vaccination record for employment? I agree with your last statement.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yes, vaccinated people can still get Covid. Yes, they still can spread the disease. The issue is the likelihood of doing so. Vaccinated people are much less likely to do both.

You are implicitly arguing that because things can happen, it isn't important to consider how likely things are to happen. So, to draw an analogy, because I could make a mistake while driving sober or drunk, it shouldn't matter that I have a much higher likelihood of making a mistake by driving drunk, and that drunk driving should be legal.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    There are breakthrough cases. But studies have shown that the vaccine prevents between 36% to upwards to 80% of all cases depending on the vaccine. The 36% was Delta variant and Astra-Zeneca vaccine, which isn't available in the US. They goal of any vaccine is to reach herd immunity. Reach this magical number and the total cases will drop to close to 0. That includes both for the unvaccinated and the breakthroughs for the vaccinated. It's why polio and smallpox aren't diseases we have to deal with any more. And things like measles are incredibly rare, and only pop up in places with a high, anti-vax population, which causes the area do drop below herd immunity.

As for long term studies, please explain how you can study long term, something that is novel? Rushed to market? This was the largest trial of any vaccine in the history of mankind. Over 5 billion jabs globally already, and what are the results? The vaccine is very effective, and even safer.

Last, for @trump4life, Comirnaty is the trade name for the Pfizer vaccine. They are one and the same, come off the same exact production line, and the only difference is a sticker on the bottle. Comirnaty/Pfizer is not under emergency use, but has full authorization of the FDA. Please stop spreading misinformation.

• Winner Winner x 3
  5. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    One of the interesting things is that right now the sects that have generally been opposed to vaccines are not opposed to this vaccine. As far as I know, Scientology is the only organized religion that has opposed this vaccine.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    The vast majority of Americans were vaccinated in order to attend school and college. The military has always received a lot of vaccinations. And I believe vaccination requirements are common for the medical profession, but I could be wrong. Additionally, people are supposed to get vaccinated to travel to certain places. It's been an accepted part of society for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JG8tor

JG8tor Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    They used fetal cell lines for testing, just as the vaccines did - as is done in lots of modern medical research.

Regeneron COVID-19 treatment tested using aborted fetal tissue cells

See also AgingGator's links

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    hard to pursue life, liberty, and happiness when subjected to widespread infectious diseases.

9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    and how many people did him and wife infect along the way

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Only governmental ones that prohibit the free exercise of ones religion or don't allow exceptions based on the free exercise of ones religion.
    In those rare case, yes.

11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    No I haven't gone and personally polled all the anti vaxxers and their history of religious belief on the issue. But it stands to reason that most of the covid anti vaxxers were not previously anti vaxxers for other vaccines, so the sudden religious dissent on the issue seems convenient.

Frankly most previous anti vaxxers were Oregon and CA liberals participating in autism conspiracy theories. These people were typically not highly religious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    fortunately, medicine has advanced a bit over the last 80 years. Lots of kids died and were crippled by polio before the vaccine. Exponentially more kids avoided contracting polio due to the vaccine

13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

This is correct. My guess is a suit will follow.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    for the upteenth million time, the vaccines prevents death and most serious hospitalizations in most people. immunocompromised people have worse outcomes. It does not prevent everybody from catching the virus. appx 65% for the mRNA vaccines are completely protected, the rest will suffer some form of illness.

15. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    There are some instances, like military, colleges etc, where vaccine records are required. As far as I know the demand for religious exemptions has not been very high in these instances. Color me skeptical that all of a sudden all of these adults found Jesus AND decided Jesus was agsinst the covid vaccine

16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    He will almost certainly lose if he tries. An employer, even the state, is allowed to require vaccines and his religion permits taking the vaccine (and even states that those without the vaccine need to avoid other people, a task that is impossible in his job). He needs to argue that he has a deeply held, sincere religious belief not held by his religion. That seems tough.

17. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    1. Just because someone despises vaccine mandates does not make them a Trump supporter. Some of y’all need to stop the labeling of everything you disagree with as Trumpian.
    2. The vaccines work… but not as well as we were led to believe. You can still get CoVid and worse… still spread CoVid. I myself had the vaccine and then a month later got delta. My son had delta and no one even knew. He was tested for a camp… found out he had it and so I got tested. There is no telling how many people we had been around. The idea that the vaccines are a cure all is patently false and in some cases dangerous.
    3. You have a choice. Get vaccinated. Lower your risk. Or
    Don’t get vaccinated an live with the risk.
    4. It’s a wide swath of people pushing back. Again, it’s not just Trumpers. Chicago police have at least a 3rd of their force refusing to get the vaccine. You think they are all Trumpers or many just feel it’s wrong to be forced to have a medical procedure on their body?
    All of those coaches in Washington were Trumpers?
    All the military service men and women are Trumpers?
    All the AA who refuse are Trumpers?

This isn’t just repubs vs demos. There are those that value personal choice over their body above personal safety. Many many many people who have gotten the vaccine despise the mandates. I’m one of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Maybe you have not, but my mother, an RN of 50+ years was required every year to remain employed at the county hospital. Flu vaccine and the BCG vaccine for tuberculosis and follow up negative scratch test each year.

I was not allowed to travel to Asia without proof of, or getting my "full vaccine compliment" which required me to take the Hep A/B and Typhus vaccines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Maybe he thought God would save him from getting the virus.