Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nick Rolovich Out As Washington State Coach for Refusing COVID-19 Vaccine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Oct 18, 2021.

1. BULLGATOR

BULLGATOR Generally unpleasant. Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    No, it reduces the likelihood. Just like all those vaccines you mentioned. The big difference being that when MMR, polio, and other vaccines were introduced, public officials actually cared about the public as opposed to merely getting reelected. There was not corporate media out there whose sole purpose was to pit one side against the other so that it benefits them to take a completely irrational position just so they can get more viewers and sell their advertising at a higher rate. The reason we so rarely hear about polio anymore is because such a high percentage of people have the polio vaccine that it has limited the spread to such a degree that it is so rare that it is almost gone. The same was almost true with measles in America, until a group of know nothing, moron housewives in California started listening to other know nothing morons on the Internet and decided that vaccines were a bad thing for one reason or another. So, they stopped getting the MMR and measles started to make a comeback.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. BULLGATOR

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    The problem with the modern Republican today is that they really forgot what it means to be one. They think that being Republican just means rugged individualism and personal choice. They seem to forget it also means taking responsibility for that personal choice. In addition, it also means that you support the market and its ability to determine the best outcome. When I hear modern Republicans say that they are against corporations being able to implement policies mandating a vaccine for their employees, I wonder when they started to redefine what it means to be Republican? Corporate independence from governmental control is a cornerstone of Republican ideals.

So when someone makes the personal choice of refusing a vaccine mandated by an employer and they lose their job, why would any true Republican support them running to the Court to sue to get their job back or to get damages? They are asking the state to step in and overrule a corporate decision so they can avoid the consequences of their choice. That's not very Republican.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    No like every vaccine refuser without a legit health concern, he's just a big baby afraid of a shot (plus it would submitting to the libs)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The employer is the state, not a corporation. I'm not a Republican, but I would suspect that they would have a different opinion of the issue if it were a private company that terminated him.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Well the groundwork laid by those "real" Republicans (and certainly complicit/enabling Democrats) destroyed/eroded most notions of public good, community, responsibility to others, etc. How many times have I heard 'true conservatives' quote Margaret Thatcher or Reagan ('No such thing as society' or 'I'm from the government and here to help' being a terrifying statement, etc). We are reaping what we sowed for decades in this country. Dont want a society ... well here we are. We're all just individuals doin our thing, as all our policy choices since before I was alive have made possible and indeed, have encouraged if not celebrated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BULLGATOR

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Then you have not been paying attention.

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Yeah, I don't agree with @BULLGATOR 's notion that the problem is that republicans/conservatives forgot what it means. This whole covid thing exposes how decades of anti-government & anti-liberal mentality is a predictable outcome that will continue to unfold.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You actually are both right. Bull Gator is spot on in the current covid anti vax behavior is in many ways anti conservative in its government intervention in local govt and employers business. But from a bigger perspective the govt is evil / starve the beast narrative has deteriorated the effectiveness of govt.

9. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I hear you. I don't disagree w/ @BULLGATOR about the behavior being anti-republican, more @ that it's from republicans forgetting how to be republican. For years--decades really--we've watched pubs try to outdo each other in being anti-government (starve the beast exactly being one of those ways but it's also about an attidude of finding any govt necessary at all and that what exists is nothing but evil). You are spot on that it has deteriorated the effectiveness of govt. It seems in all of our interests to fight for good government, not big/small, all/nothing.

10. flg8rfan

flg8rfan Senior

Jun 15, 2007
    Gainesville
    I’m vaccinated and a conservative. When the government wants to impose penalties on a publicly traded (but private) company with regards to vaccination status of employees, that’s bull.

When a government entity requires all contractors and their employees to be vaccinated, that’s also a load of bs.

When a party of my body, my choice wrt abortion (I don’t disagree with that personally) wants to force people to take a vaccine that’s less than a year in existence while at the same time supports people who chose to not get vaccinated with any of the other vaccines that have been around for decades, that’s bs.

When a party that’s for the ‘working man’ wants the IRS to have access to your bank account for transactions over $600, it’s time to leave that party. They aren’t looking for the 1% that pays 90% of the taxes. They are looking for Bob. Nice guy, works in an auto shop, going to save you some money and help you out. They are looking for Frannie that keeps a few kids since she retired from teaching. They might even be looking at people that have zero reported income but drive a nice car and pay rent. Yeah, they’re really going after the rich.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  11. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m pretty skeptical of mandates myself. But there isn’t a vaccine mandate. No one is forcing you to get a shot. So yes, your body, your choice. What you have is organizations, both private and public, deciding on internal policies just like they always have.

Vaccination policies are nothing new. I had to present proof of vaccinations when I attended UF, a public institution. I had to provide proof of vaccinations when I enrolled my daughter at a private daycare. If I didn’t want to vaccinate my daughter, I would have found another daycare. If all daycares require vaccines, I can hire a nanny and keep her home. Her body, my choice.

• Like Like x 2
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Do employees have a right to work in a safe (ie non covid infested) workplace?

13. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    If that were the goal there would be COVID testing protocols in place rather than vaccine requirements. Would you rather work next to somebody that you knew tested negative or somebody that you knew was vaccinated?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    That is an option too for private employers. You have to either implement a testing scheme or a vaccine mandate. In practice, most are choosing vaccine mandates because it is more predictable and less costly. However, the OSHA rules allow you to maintain a testing scheme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Vaccinations have always been the goal. Testing is important component to a public health response to an infectious disease outbreak but is never the ultimate goal because vaccines are what can get us to large scale community protection.

16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Apparently, he is suing. He would lose (the Washington state mandate just got held up in state court and the US Supreme Court just rejected a vaccine mandate case for the third time, he confirmed that he is Catholic- a religion that encourages vaccinations, he made no claims that he routinely refuses vaccinations, etc.), but I bet this gets settled. Rolovich, to me, looks like he is threatening the administration with some serious dirt (talking about a booster trip). Unfortunately, I think this is the same tactic that got McElwain most of his money from UF despite the fact that his firing would easily have been for cause.

• Informative Informative x 3
  17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    In your opinion, can a Catholic woman have an abortion and still claim to be a Catholic? Can she support her daughter who has an abortion and still claim to be a Catholic? Can she help her daughter have an abortion and still claim to be a Catholic?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

19. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Can a woman claim that she must be able to get an abortion because her Catholic faith requires it? You're confusing my claim that his Catholicism isn't to blame for his opposition to the vaccine with a claim that he cannot be Catholic if he doesn't get vaccinated. These are different things.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Put it this way, if his religious view is different than the Catholic view; can it still not be a deeply held religious view (just not technically "Catholic?")

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS