Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nice Article in the Athletic

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GothamGator, Jul 19, 2019.

1. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure how many of you subscribe. I think it is worth it for Gator fans.

Today there is a lengthy article about the hoops team. It goes through the lineup and has some thoughts from White and the assistants on the players. Check it out if you subscribe.

State of the Hoops Program: Mike White is well aware what he...

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Cliff's Notes, or perhaps a few key quotes?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    I've been thinking about subbing to this site....Wish my dad would have polled me before buying a subscription to Consumer Reports magazines for my Birthday... I'd have told him to get me this instead. The CR mags just go straight into the recycling bin.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Dads. Always thinking of practicality instead of what you really want.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I just joined. I'm tight with the cash, but gotta say, I'm thrilled so far.

6. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 All American

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    If they keep covering UF basketball to this degree, Ill probably pick up a subscription as well. Been thinking about it since the Kerry Blackshear article they did.

7. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Well I bit the bullet. Just read the Blackshear piece and about to load this one up...

8. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Great reads! This site delivers. Anyone else signing up hit up another subscriber for their referral link. You'll get a 40% discount and they'll get an Amazon gift card. If anyone wants my link PM me.

9. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Go back and read Will Salmon's Thursday Q&A then find the podcast he was on. Both good stuff.

10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I remember one birthday and it was my mom's fault. She was somewhere in the Chicago area at some store that sold puzzles and she asked for the hardest one that they knew of. They said that they just got one in that was pretty hard.

I was the first person that I knew that had a Rubik's cube. It was a long time before it was a national craze.

It took my a week to figure it out.

One time my dad actually got me what I wanted back in the 1960's. I wanted a short wave radio. I wanted to hear aviation weather reports and BBC. I wanted to get time signals from Boulder, Colorado, to set my watch. He bought me a Heathkit short wave radio that was already built for way less than the kit price. I was a weird kid.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    The Athletic is snapping up so many sportswriters that you almost have to subscribe if you want to keep up with your favorite teams. There's nothing terribly unique in what The Athletic does - it's more or less the usual beat reporter stuff, just a newspaper sports page from any point in the last few decades. But the site is so comprehensive it's basically hard to avoid.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Another site that will be out of business within 2 years

13. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Well we could read all this for free if someone would stop fishing all day long and hung out up in G'ville. We are worth it. Honest.

14. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Mike White wants to be careful.

As the Florida coach recently sat in his office inside the Gators’ basketball facility with a coffee in hand, the black cap with the bent bill over his eyes and the day-old scruff on his face did little to conceal the grin that occasionally appeared. White beamed as he answered certain questions about a group this season that will feature new and exciting pieces, but his smile never lingered too long. White knows it can’t. Not yet, at least.

“In full transparency, this is the most excited that I’ve been about a team this time of year — on paper,” White said. “But I’m also hesitant to allow myself to go there because we haven’t really got to work yet.”

That doesn’t mean there aren’t times when he has to catch himself.

“Definitely,” White said.

White, 42, is beginning his fifth season at Florida. He spent the previous four seasons as the coach at Louisiana Tech and has been part of teams that have exceeded expectations. He has also been part of teams that haven’t lived up to them. In Gainesville, expectations couldn’t be much higher than they are right now after Florida underwent a roster makeover in the offseason featuring major upgrades.

State of the Hoops Program: Mike White is well aware what he...

* Post has been edited to conform to the 4 paragraph rule for quoted articles. This is done for possible legal issues.

Board rules here: Forum Rules for all sports forums...... (2/4/2019)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I certainly hope it won't go out of business. It's a great site. It has really good writing, and it doesn't have ads. No annoying pop ups. No dancing baloney. And no self starting videos that you have to keep shutting down.

It's the opposite of every other sports site out there. A breath of fresh air for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Couldn't agree with you more. Im sold on it!

17. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I disagree. The content is far better than the typical beat writer. Think of it as wunderlich as opposed to Dooley bianchi

18. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I like Molly Knight. She is a fun follow on Twitter also.

19. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

They benefited from the ESPN cutbacks. Several big name writers now at The Athletic.
    Jayson Stark, Peter Gammons, Jim Bowden, David Aldridge, Stewart Mandel, Bruce Feldman

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    I'm a big fan of The Athletic as well. Like their Gator articles, but also a fan of their NHL/Lightning coverage.