Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NHL Back on ESPN

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorBen, Oct 12, 2021.

1. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    ESPN debuting its first NHL coverage since 2004 with the Lighting/Penguins game tonight.

And after one period, I’m wishing NBC still had the NHL’s rights.

Hopefully it’s just a matter of ESPN needing to find their feet covering pro hockey for the first time in almost two decades, but their audio mixing is muddy sounding, their announcers are boring, they don’t have a shot counter on their score bug, some of their cameras do not appear to be high def, and this SkyCam/video game angle they keep trying to use does not work at all IMO.

The biggest complaint from casual hockey viewers is that it’s too hard to follow the puck on TV, and that floating high camera angle makes it nearly impossible for even me (who probably watches 100+ hockey games a season) to follow what the heck is going on.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    This second game with Buccigross, Boucher, and AJ Mleczko seems to be a much better broadcast than the first one.

Maybe having announcers who have recent experience calling hockey and know how to do it with some excitement rather than Sean “As Exciting As Plain White Rice” McDonough as the play-by-play guy makes more of a difference than I expected.

Still excited to see TBS/TNT’s coverage as the secondary broadcast partner, because I suspect Kenny Albert and Eddie O may still be the best hockey announcing duo.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. toprowgator

toprowgator Sophomore

Jun 24, 2019
    Have they gotten political yet?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I'm sure if/when they do, folks will immediately start crying about it...while continuing to watch it.

• Winner Winner x 3
  5. stp_gator

stp_gator All American

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    When I first heard about this I was hopeful that I’d be able to watch more Lightning games without having to go on a scavenger hunt to figure out which channel/app/stream to try to find the game on. I never understood how the NHL didn’t have better TV contracts. Hockey is a spectacular sport, hopefully this brings more NHL games to more people.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. toprowgator

toprowgator Sophomore

Jun 24, 2019
    As they should and while they shouldn't. But you are correct regardless.

7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Were you reading my twitter during the game Ben? lol! I literally called them out for the shot counter on the score bug and the terrible drone/sky attempt.

I love McDonough on football. "Green's behind the defense!"
    He has done his share of hockey. Seemed very rusty last night.

I miss Doc Emrick

Also, if TBL wants to go ahead and wake from the celebration hangover, that would be great. That was a terrible "effort" last night.
    After the heartbreak of the Rays, we needed better.

Great to see Sonni back on the anthem though!
    Almost died of Covid during the offseason, back for opening night!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I’m hoping McDonough just needs to get back in his groove. While he was saddled with a bit of a boring game, he talked too slowly and did not come across as being particularly excited to be calling it. And it seemed to drag Ferraro (who is normally great) down to boring with him after a while. I will also note that just suddenly observing “the net is empty!” without any mention of the goalie being pulled before that (even if just to note that it was happening) was a little odd.

9. tilly

Also, I dont like Hockey play by play calls that say "Goal". ALL...and I mean ALL hockey calls should say "Scorrrre!" (Nod to Dave Mishkin.)

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    I remember reading something on The Athletic where the producer said they’d be experimenting with camera angles at the start of the season. Hopefully that meets a quick end.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. tilly

HDTV saved hockey. The center ice sideline cam that most of it is filmed from is perfect. Save the shots from the sky cam or behind the end boards for replays.

Live hockey needs one angle. It isn't broke. Don't fix it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. stp_gator

stp_gator All American

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    Emrick is an absolute legend. For anyone who has never seen this it is definitely worth your time. At about 8 minutes in he describes how he would sit in an empty section of the minor league arena in Ft Wayne, IN and do his own play by play on a tape recorder. Talk about passion for the game. Just tremendous!

13. tilly

Kenny Albert did a really solid job as the lead guy for NBC last season, but Doc was head and shoulders the best.
    The last call he ever made before retirement was "The Tampa Bay Lightning have won the Stanley Cup!"
    He did it from his basement during the Covid bubble.

Wish ESPN could offer him a ton to come out of retirement.

ESPN should have gone all in on John Forslund. He was great up here for the Canes and doing spot work for NBC. Seattle signed him after NBC lost the NHL deal.
    Forslund is a very underrated national caliber guy imo. He was actually in the running for the Bolts job when Rick Peckham retired and they ultimately chose Dave Randorf (who is really good too imo).

• Like Like x 1
  14. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    LA Metro area
    Mostly I am thrilled I don't have to shell out $100 to watch the stupid Flyers on NHL.tv. Now I can just watch from CA with my free ESPN+ from Verizon

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Scrotis

Scrotis Sophomore

Dec 11, 2010
    Never been a fan of Emrick, and hated the NBC crew. Bring back Gary Thorne and Bill Clement

16. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    If ESPN really wants me to give them a serious look for hockey, they need to an original, uncut, unedited Slapshot marathon day.

Of course, they won’t!

17. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Hall of Fame

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    the NHL needs to leave ESPN. ESPN's coverage is absolute garbage.

18. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    "irony"

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. toprowgator

toprowgator Sophomore

Jun 24, 2019
    Sorry, I'll keep my mouth shut like a good little customer next time.

20. tilly

Doc and Thorne are roughly the same age. Ironically both of their last calls on NHL national games were Bolts cup winners.