Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NFL Scouts Suggest AR’s Poor Performance Was CBN’s Fault?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by uftaipan, Mar 6, 2023.

1. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    • Agree x 7
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Like I said a while ago, this is what scouts do. They get obsessed with the measurables and discount or minimize real data. And they never seem to learn from it.

• Agree x 10
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  3. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 GC Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    While plausible your theory has the combined disadvantage of not generating clicks while also pissing off all the wrong people. Journalist being craven cowards your theory never gets written.

What is undeniable is the recognition that picking on Napier is a zero risk activity. And that is not a positive sign.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    I don’t think the writer was necessarily taking sides on the issue. He was just pointing out that this train of thought is happening within nfl circles.

Your assessment was pretty spot on, though. He didn’t play the leader role very well and seemed to use his time in Gainesville as a “time-out” until eligible for the draft.

… Then reportedly threw the program under the bus during interviews.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  5. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Im going to be blunt. If you think AR didn’t try hard you are an idiot. Full stop. Zero evidence of that.

It’s common knowledge our passing scheme was very weak to put it mildly.

And there wasn’t nearly enough designed runs for someone like AR. AR ran as much as other CBN mobile QBs. There is a reason why Mertz is our QB who has negative rushing yards

Our pass catchers were also weaker and we had a ton of dropped balls. Some games we had like 10? Just ridiculous

AR was also inaccurate with the short passing game which hurt a lot and drove down his completion %

AR was also the 30th best QB in football last year. Not elite but he was well above average. He wasn’t remotely close to the problem for 2022 Gator football

And importantly it was ARs first year, CBNs first year, etc. Inconsistencies and growing pains for both are expected.

• Come On Man x 9
    • Agree x 8
    • Disagree Bacon! x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Dislike x 3
    • Winner x 2
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Mullen had the first shot at playing AR, and didn’t do so. Napier had no choice and had to play AR. AR’s play, when he played, was wildly erratic. He needed more game experience, at a minimum, to reach more consistency.

If the conclusion from that is bad coaching, then so be it. It doesn’t reflect reality, but it’s still a conclusion.

I still hope AR gets picked as high as possible and secures lifetime money.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  7. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Not very good at reading defenses. Inaccurate short passer. Poor decision making even when deciding when to keep it or give to back. Best against man where there’s less reads. Talents off the charts but he’ll need to get a lot better to fulfill NFL expectations. May even ride on his talents for a year or two before NFL defenses figure him out. Blaming Napier opens door for team to pick him as high as they want.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    I hope AR gets all the money he can get...the Gator Social media posts are going overboard on him quite frankly making him look like he is an accomplished Gator QB...check the trophy case on that one. Could CBN have played a factor...perhaps..but it became apparent that the moment he hurt himself in game 1 he decided to not go at 100% and ensure he didnt get more beat up than he needed to since he decided to go pro no matter what. He could be a stellar NFL QB..who knows..outside of combine data there isnt much to support future success.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    There were definitely times when AR did not run hard or take on tacklers for extra yardage but I don't know if the coaching staff told him to stay out of harm's way or if AR decided that on his own. I'm sure the staff and AR can share the blame for production because the same staff was able to put together a 400 yard passing game scheme for AR against UT and it was AR that made some horrible decisions leading to picks like the Kentucky game. He has the physical tools it will come down to the mental part of the game for him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Read the article and the author was mocking NFL scouts for believing combine numbers over on field performance. The author specifically mentioned multiple AR miscues, lack of experience, and on field decision making. I happen to agree with the author, but….

This does not have to be a binary answer ringed in aspersions. I think AR tried hard (no facts lead me to be negative). I do question whether AR could consistently read defenses under fire, and his general processing speed under pressure. I also think a first year coach and qb was a dubious marriage, and our wide receivers did not help the coaches or qb.

My guess is AR’s measurables will exceed his on field performance in the nfl - they did in high school and college. Or Maybe scouts will be proven out by AR becoming an all-pro. Either way, I think AR tried hard, hope he does great in the nfl, and think it’s too early to judge BN as a qb coach.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    When AR rolls out to the left against FSU and has a running lane, then instead throws a duck in the dirt no where near his receiver, that’s coaching? I know coaches make a difference but we watched an entire season without progress. It’s never all on coaching. The list of nfl starting qb’s is not a list of hall of fame college coaches. An Uber talented qb finds a way.

• Agree x 9
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Well, I will reserve judgement pending him getting drafted and actually stepping on an NFL field.

Regarding AR and UF, he was a moderate to poor passer. moderate to poor in decision making and 6 - 6 as a starter.

Wish him well. Throwing darts at UF and Billy gets clicks. Way it is now days.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    How about a third option? He needs a lot more reps.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I agree and I think at times , AR tried to win from the pocket not only to stay healthy but to also prove he was capable of doing so. He wanted to win and he wasn’t intentionally sandbagging. The reality was at the end of the season the same as it was in game one vs Utah, AR had to run the ball on the last drive to win the game. He’s just not capable at this time to carry a team from the pocket.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    The one thing that works in his favor, IMO, is Jalen Hurts. At this point in his career (i.e. one full season in college) they were pretty much the same guy. Difference is Hurts got a lot more reps in college which is what I think AR lacks the most.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. AirGuard_Gator

AirGuard_Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    The only thing holding AR back was AR. Supremely talented and physically gifted. Decision making? About what you'd expect for a guy getting his first substantial playing time.

17. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Both will have the chance to prove the author correct in the coming years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How about a more plausible theory... that's all he could do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    It could be. What I’m saying is, his Combine performance strongly suggests he was capable of lot more than we saw last season. The question posed by the author is, Why?

20. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Why? because he can run fast, jump high and jump long??? We all knew that. That is no surprise.

• Agree Agree x 2