Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NFL draft question.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thekentuckygator, Jan 17, 2020.

1. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I’m not very knowledgeable about the detailed mechanics of the draft so I thought I’d pose a couple questions for those who may know.

Take Burrow for example. Can he choose not to sign with Cincy and become a free agent? Is there such a thing as a restricted free agent? Even though I’m not a big NFL fan I was curious how all that worked.

Thanks in advance.

2. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    Pretty sure if he doesn’t sign with the drafting team he can’t play unless they agree to trade him away. Look up the Eli Manning draft for an example.

3. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    ..and John Elway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    And Steve Young.

5. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t know what type of leverage the player actually has from a financial standpoint. But franchises don’t want to deal with a guy who is vocal about not wanting to play for them and making threats of sitting out (even though they most likely wouldn’t give up $30+million to do so). Therefore the team gets what they can historically like the Chargers did in getting Rivers and picks when Eli said he wouldn’t play for them.

6. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Technically he can sit out a year if a team drafts him and he doesn’t want to play for them. But that never happens....has it??

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    Oh, and Bo Jackson, too.

The one thing in common is the people has alternatives. USFL and MLB( Elway and Jackson). Manning had the family support to sit out a year. I guess Burrow would also. Plus, there is the XFL.

8. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    the bengals would hold
    his rights for the year And he’d re-enter the draft pool the following year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    With the new rookie wage scale they have no incentive to do so. The big $$ is with your 2nd contract and longevity. So getting to that 2nd contract sooner means big $ sooner and playing an extra year means one additional year near max earnings.

10. Burrow is an Ohio kid through and through. The Bengals will draft him and he will be the hometown hero that franchise has always longed for.

EDIT: I see where the Dolphins are trying to trade up with the Bengals. I would absolutely LOVE Burrow on the Dolphins but it simply is not going to happen. I want whatever it takes to remove the existential threat to that franchise of them drafting tua.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    sure about that?

12. raygravesghost

raygravesghost GC Legend

Aug 13, 2019
    No.

Steve Young chose the USFL and he was later drafted in a special draft of USFL players by Tampa Bay
    Played 1 year and then was traded to the 49ers

13. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    and it’s not like they’re the browns... both in location and as an organization

• Like Like x 1
  14. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    Bo was drafted by Tampa Bay and chose to play baseball instead

15. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    After Bo Jackson was drafted #1 overall by Tampa and refused to sign with them, the NFL changed it’s rules concerning the team with the first overall pick. That team can now negotiate with the #1 overall choice prior to the draft and come to an agreement. If the player tells that team that he won’t sign with them under any circumstances, they can trade the pick or draft someone else.

No other team is allowed to do that, only the team with the #1 overall pick. That, and the rookie salary structure has eliminated the “wasted pick” problem, at least as far as the #1 overall guy is concerned. And it’s all thanks to the inept Bucs, and Bo.

16. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    And that stemmed from the Bucs flying Bo to Tampa on a private jet. He asked if if would be an NCAA violation and Bucs told him no. It was. He had to stop playing baseball at Auburn. Intentional or not, Bo interpreted it as intentional to take baseball off the table so he spurned the Bucs.

17. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    This is interesting because Young had a competing league . . . and I think I just saw another ad for the Tampa Vipers.

But, pretty sure McMahon and the NFL have an arrangement this time, so that probably won't happen.