Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Next year's players - Who stays who goes

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    This might get lost in the shuffle with all the virus topics and everyone wondering what's next.
    But if the season is in fact cancelled does that increase the chances that someone like Leftwich would come back for his senior season? If so then what about Mace?
    I have to believe Mace is gone regardless but Leftwich hasn't show much consistency yet and might decide to use another year.
    Could Langworthy and McMullen be granted another year of eligibility? Would they come back again? Does Cal Greenfield give up baseball or would he like one last year again even as a backup or if Hickey gets hurt?
    Most of the other key players right now are sophomores and freshmen so these 3-4 key players could really make the difference for next year if given the chance.

2. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Way too early right now. Maybe this thing gets re-instated in April??? I don’t know. I am still in shock I think.

But an interesting one is Cory Acton. He is a draft eligible sophomore but clearly hasn’t had the start to the year he wants/needs to get the pick he wants.

Brady Smith was surely looking to build off a very good finish to 2019. Hasn’t happened yet.

Jordan Butler hasn’t had success on the mound yet this year. Surely not what he wants/needs prior to the draft.

Really confusing. No idea how this gets sorted out. Surely the NCAA grants another year. Surely they sort out the asinine scholly limitations. No clue how this whole thing shakes out other than my extreme disappointment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    If these kids can stay, you have a new class coming in and 11.7 schollies - how the heck does that work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I think one of the first things that you look at with regards to who would come back as far as eligibility lines up would be who among these players have a “red-shirt” year available.

5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Mat—

With a sharp knife and a steady hand....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Hell no.

If the NCAA is going to just cancel the season, they owe the players everywhere, on every sports team that is affected, another year of eligibility.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Yes, and stop calling me Shirley! ;)

8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

I would think “they “ would award for one season an expansion of scholarship to each school.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Remember wing—you’re talking about the NCAA so the first thing you have to do is abandon logic and think outside the box.:confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Might be stereotyping, but since Leftwich was basically the poster child for TNXL Academy, I can't help but think he'd be gone.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    Maybe you could get one more year 74!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    Gators are ranked #1 in the country when the season ended. This make us 2-time National Champions. Go Gators. We'll catch up with FSU Nattys soon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Doubt very seriously Mace or Leftwich come back whether granted a R/S year or not. We only have three SRs and none are pro prospects (or else they wouldn’t still be on campus) so it may just be a case of whether Langworthy, McMullen or Blasucci are just ready to move on with their lives.

15. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Please tell the Florida Senate "We don't need their stinking help to win our National Championships."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    At this point there's no telling who stays or who goes in any winter or spring sport because the NCAA doesn't even know what to do. The athletes can't make any plans because they are caught up in the middle of the whole mess. To compound all that now we have high school students that may get pushed along to the next grade level for fall classes with the rest of the school year in doubt. Good thing most HS seniors already have the credits to graduate. I just hope any HS senior athlete on the bubble gets their chance to meet minimum NCAA requirements for admission.

• Informative Informative x 1