Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

Next Season

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Gatorhead, Mar 22, 2021.

1. 407king

407king Premium Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I mean, this is all hypothetical at this point. I have no info about whether Payne or Lewis are back.

But if they both are, we have plenty of depth if we add a transfer.

Guards-Transfer, Appleby, Locke, Lane
    Wings-Lewis, Reeves, Samson, Duruji
    Bigs-Castleton, Payne, Osifo

That's 11 guys right there. If we lost Payne or Lewis, i'd assume we'd bring in another transfer. I don't think depth becomes a problem unless you don't bring in transfers.

And Samson, Lane and Reeves will get a normal pre-season which Lane and Samson didn't have last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    I think we have a lot of potentially good pieces. But can 2 and 44 take the next step? I like 15 on defense, but can he give us 6-8 off the bench and hit some free throws?

3. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Why do you think that we lose lewis and payne. I don't see either leaving. Glover I get.

4. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    No insider info. just observations. Lewis missing practice and seemingly disengaged at times.

Payne - There are reasons he does not play much.

5. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

I hope Lewis / Payne and Glover are back. I'm just speculating of course.
    Neverthless having them "back" with their current level of contributing does not impress me much.

6. 407king

407king Premium Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I hope Lewis and Payne are. Hopefully Scottie will improve his shooting this off-season. Doesn't have to be a marksman but getting into the mid 30's from 3 would open up the floor more for him.

Glover can bounce, imo. Not sure we need him if we bring in a transfer PG.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Sure and the staff may be expected to win 6 out of 10 games with that talent based on history and averages.

I will leave it up to you to decide the acceptability of that.

Myself I have gone on record that .600 has now become stale and unattractive
    from this fan's perspective.

I will "desist" from this negative posting shortly and wait until next year but my opinion is to expect more of the same. Slightly above average and maybe an NCAA invite and first round win.

That seems to be the current achievement level of UF's men's basketball program. I see nothing changing unless Reeve's is Magic Johnson in his prime.

8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    It's too soon to answer these Qs. Let's see what happens with attrition & transfers. The roster is likely to appear much different than it currently does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kbmagill

kbmagill Freshman

May 14, 2014
    Owensboro, KY
    I would assume Mann is gone to NBA. Lewis goes overseas because he is already 21 and wants to make money and protest. KJ will not play basketball anymore, at least not at UF. Glover, Jitoboh, and Payne transfer. Possibly Lane and Samson too. Lane didn't get the minutes he should have and Samson may just want a fresh start after his former HS teammate (Jitoboh) bounces. If I am Duruji, I am pissed bc we were up 7 (after his dumb foul) and then he never played again. However, I doubt he leaves. We have 1 HS recruit in Reeves who is good. Gators better hit the transfer portal. The thing is, no one wants to play for White due to his poor offense and massive failures to close games. I think this team is below .500 next year and hopefully Mike White is out the door.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  10. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    The only way we get to .600 is with a VERY soft non-con, which will allow the young players and those that need A LOT of improvement time to gel and gain confidence. Unfortunately 18-12 against a weak schedule does not get a team into the Tournament. Tough line to walk next year when putting the schedule together. But, weak is probably the way to go, because if next year's schedule was the same as what this one was going to be prior to Covid, difficult to even get to .500.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Agreed.

12. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

Regrettably I tend to agree that this is the most likely scenario.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 407king

407king Premium Member

Dec 8, 2018
    You think the most likely scenario is we have 5 transfers and 2 players declare for the pros? That's the most likely?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    407 - Good catch and I will clarify:

This is what I agree with:

I think this team is below .500 next year and Mike White is out the door.

(I erased "hopefully") I am "hopeful CDM kicks azz next year" butttt.......

15. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Duruji? needs to up 3 pt and FT %

Osifo? He should be listed as a TO when at the line.

Appleby?- Saw significant improvement the 2nd half of the year

Locke? - He improved as well as he's learning that driving to the lane is allowed.

Ruz? Taking up a scholarship, saw nothing from him to think he will improve. Thought he was supposed to be deadly from the 3.

Jitoboh? Roll player. Hope he can figure out how to contripe without fouling, improve FTs to 60%
    That's about it.

Niels Lane - Projected as a P5 starter. Seen him listed as SG and PG. If no (improved) Glover, will really need big improvement at PG.

16. kbmagill

kbmagill Freshman

May 14, 2014
    Owensboro, KY
    Yes. I am certain Mann goes to the NBA draft. I do think Lewis will leave to get paid as well. (jmo)
    As far as transfers, this year is free game. You can transfer and play immediately. Payne doesn't play the minutes I am sure he wants to. Is it the right move to leave, IDK. It depends on what Payne wants. Glover could get meaningful minutes at a Mid-major, as could Jitoboh. Do they want to ride the pine, or play? Lane didn't get the run he should have. He can handle and defend very well. IMO he should have been 6th man and played a lot more than White played him. He could go back to the northeast and ball closer to home. I think Samson probably stays, but maybe he wants a fresh start. All of these are just my opinions, but I could see them all happening.

17. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I'd be surprised if Lane leaves. I think he has the most obvious path to playing time here as the backup 2/3. Possibly starting at the 3 as the slashing wing we all hoped Lewis would be.

I think everything else you said is possible.

18. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ok. Good to know.

19. Agator88

Agator88 GC Legend

Oct 7, 2014
    Yeah I was not suggesting we would be better or worse I was just trying to understand who is coming and going.

20. UTGator

UTGator Senior

Oct 5, 2010
    It would be huge if Key could come back. This looks like a solid upper tier SEC starting 5:
    Appleby - Sr.
    Locke - Sr.
    Key - Sr.
    AD - Sr.
    CC - Sr.

Then backups of (assuming Lewis leaves):
    Reeves - Fr.
    Lane - So.
    Samson - So.
    Osifo - Sr.
    Payne - Jr.

I think that's a pretty talented team. Now coaching is another story.

• Agree Agree x 1