Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Next 4 Games

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by coachsayre-2, Jan 25, 2023.

1. coachsayre-2

coachsayre-2 Sophomore

Sep 17, 2022
    Are going to be brutal. Make or break time coming up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Kst aside (and I'm sure they are going to be a pain in the a$$), I think it would be pretty darn good if the guys could win one out of the TN/UK/Bama slate. Hard to imagine them beating any of the four teams, since UK has woken up, but the Gators are playing good defense and are an overall improved team.

My concern is that we're now forced to play small ball with Fudge/Felder out. Hopefully we get Fudge back right away. If we can muster a win against one of the next three SEC teams, there's a path to get to 11 conference wins.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Really need to win 1 to set themselves up for a good shot at making the dance. The next 2 are probably their only shot of the 4, as they're not winning at Bama and UK imo. Beating Tennessee would be the most helpful as it would be a highlight win and allow the Gators to win out at home and get to 10 SEC wins. I'm not sure they can win any of the 4, and if they don't, they're going to need to steal one at Arkansas or maybe win both at UGA and at Vandy to get to 11 SEC wins. 10 SEC wins by winning out at home and only winning 1 of the 2 games at UGA or at Vandy would probably require the Gators to win 1 or 2 games in the SEC Tournament.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ncgator015

ncgator015 Senior

Jun 23, 2022
    Losing to A&M at home was a disgrace. Beating OK in Charlotte was a must.

Now we have to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Every year, it's the same challenge since Billy left.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  5. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't expect to win any of them, frankly. I hope all 4 games are reasonably close. But when we get into a physical track meet against deep teams, our offense just isn't there and we jack up 3's.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    We’ve been playing good D all year. But now our offense seems to have rhythm. Last night our guys were constantly cutting to the basket and always seemed in motion. And guys were not afraid to pass the ball to the open guy. A split is not out of the question.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Indeed Jareduf, tough slate of games ahead. I imagine our NCAA fate lies in the balance based on what the Gators do in the next 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hi Joe - I have been a bit down in my cups over the Gators but I need to get with the program. UF has come alive (5 of the last 6) and are seperating a little from the bottom of the SEC pack.

I am also a realist, USCe ain't any of the 4 we have to play.
    But it would just be wrong not to acknowledge the team is really playing better.

A split might keep us in the NCAA conversation. Heres hoping!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hi France, hard to argue with you but UF has picked it up. If Richard, Kugel and Reeves get hot..................loosen up that middle for CC............ya never know.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Tamu just beat Auburn by 16 and have been playing great, so we disagree on this one.

Tend to agree about the rabbit.

Billy? No argument, I flip and flop as to whom was the greatest at UF - SOS or Billy. But it's way to early to dismiss Golden, he just may be the answer. Even Billy D was not so hot in his first year at UF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    lets be real. We are fighting to make it to the NIT not the NCAA's. But a month ago I didn't even think that was possible.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  12. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    ESPN currently ranks us in the group of 8 teams just missing the cut for the big dance, so barring a complete collapse I don't think we'll be fighting to make the NIT.

there's still a path where we make the tournament at this point, it's just gonna take a ton of work and some bounces going our way. Like OP said, the next four games are make or break - if we go 0-4 we're probably done barring a miracle finish.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    The next 4 don't have a great bearing on our NCAA fate, but the 7 following certainly do. We'll be doing well not to get blown out of the next 4, but have a better shot at winning the following 7 than any of the next 4. Lose 4 then win 7 will put us at 18 wins, add 1 or 2 SEC tourny wins and off to the NCAAs we go.

Do I expect to go 7-4, no but I didn't expect to beat LSU or Mizzu either. I expect we'll have a shot to win the 7.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  14. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If 1) a couple of players (Kugel, Fudge, Richards) hit their 3s, 2) they have found a rhythm on offense that doesn't go away against the better defenses (and that doubly includes CC rushing shots). 3) they FINALLY stop missing shots right at the basket (see 2)), 4) they can at least rebound defensively, 5) they are effective shooting FTs, and 6) no one key (like CC) gets into foul trouble, I see us going 2-2.

I said IF.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

grant - thanks for the feedback. Hope we get in no matter how.
    Looking forward to seeing Key when we play Kansas State.

16. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    First, I'm REALLY trying on the reverse mojo thing here but you're just not helping. :)

One thing I have to remember: we weren't as far off as it seemed. The early December losses I should just flush: new coach, largely new players, tough competition.

The two games to start SEC...they were really close. All of our conference losses have been. Auburn was on a huge conference home win streak and we almost got that one. A&M is a top 4 conference team.

We're not the team we were in December. Kugel is very different. Reeves is periodically non-crazy. Jones has become something else entirely. JJ is putting in real minutes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Golden has been great against first time coaches 4-0. K State has a new coach, so he is a first timer at K State. Not much hope to go on but at least there is something.

18. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Vive la FranceGator!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Underdogs in all 4, but always a chance.

Bama just barely beat Missy St at home and Auburn was crushed by the Aggies also at home. Just gotta play good defense and hit some 3s. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Making the Tournament shouldn't be the standard to judge this team or coach. Finishing the year going 500 in the remaining games would be a real accomplishment when you look at how the play and coaching have evolved in a positive way since November and December. They do well against teams they can overwhelm. Now to see how they respond when they can be overwhelmed.