Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

News & Notes from what I saw at the Wednesday scrimmage

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Nov 15, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Skipped WBK Practice and Watched 6 or 7 innings of the Scrimmage until it was time for MBK v LaSalle
    Line Ups

Blue
    Pitchers Scott, Luethje, Gordon, McMullen
    C Miozzi
    1st Calilao
    2nd Smith
    SS Flint
    3rd Acton
    OF Young, Dalton, Nellie

Orange
    Pitchers Butler, Garcia, Armstrong, Baker
    C Greenfield
    1st Armstrong
    2nd Reese
    3rd Pena
    SS B McConnell
    OF Howard, Baker, Langworthy, don't rememberr who was in Left when Baker Piteched, Lang moved to Center
    After Scott k'd the first 2 hitters Langworthy hit a solo shot
    Butler k's 2 and walked one in his first
    Pena tatooed a double, Scott walked one and hit another then gave up a 2 run single to Howard
    Butler 3 up 3 down
    Lang reached on an e3 Butler drove him in with a double of Luethje
    Garcia 3 up 3 down 2 ks & F8
    Howard doubled off the left field fence, B McConnell hit a ball bobbled in Left run scored on FC, Lang tripled off the rt ctr fence 1 rbi
    Garcia walked 1 Hit 1 batter no runs allowed
    Gordon walked one, k'd 1 no runs or hits, Acton made a nice pick up and throw to get Greenfield on a sharp buncer
    Armstrong gave up an infield single to Calilao when Pena failed to make a clean pick up on his slow bouncer
    K McMullen allowed Reese and Lang each a single, no runs scored Reese's hit was a screamer to right center that never got 10 feet off the grass
    Baker walked Dalton, Kd Smith, gave up a double off the LF (I think) fence to Young
    K McMullen gave up a single to Armstrong and a double to Baker allowed 1 run.
    went to MBK Game
    Langworthy is hitting the ball well
    Acton is hitting solid and making some good plays at 3rd
    Cal would be my starting catcher
    Nelly,Lang & Baker would be my OF with young as #4
    McConnell looks smoother than Smith at short but I'd go with the hot hitter as either has been reasonably able

Finn is in mid season form, arm stronger than in the spring & fielding much more confidently, must have played up north, the off day pitchers gaggle in the stands shagging foul balls is a raucous and at time obscene as you would expect. (Also honing their skills as bench jockeying, may be tiome to institute this baseball time honored tradition to golf & tennis)

this is from notes and a somewhat reliable memory anyone else there can fill in or make corrections

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    So greenfield has displaced Brady smith behind the plate?
    Thought Brady caught one *full* game against SFCC? Right? I’m thinking Sully is letting others play c. Maybe last O&B scrimmage, Smith is behind the plate?

Most of the infield will be brand new.

Wonder what the pitching rotation will be?

Garcia sounds like he’s having solid outings.

Do they work on “closer” situations? Men on, 1 or 2 outs, make that call to the pen?

Acton had a nice stroke from what I saw. Didn’t catch Pena at the plate, but he looks the part...big shoulders, like a 1b but playing 3rd.

Probably will have some struggles early here and there as guys find their roles and footing....might have some pleasant surprises too!

3. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Do they have any printed rosters available at the scrimmages?

4. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017
    Smith played SS in HS and is best infield glove amongst returners. Haven’t seen new guys yet . I hope Mcconnell can get it done but Sully wont allow continuous bad play at a premium position to hurt club. If BM hits like I think he can Sully will be more patient ( ie, Richie Martin 20 plus errors Frsh yr) but he has got to start showing what he obviously flashed in his HS days that got him such hype from scouts. I know he’s been injured but this far we haven’t seen it . Certainly got the tools .

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Brady Smith did play 2nd vs SFCC in the 2nd game. Looked okay. Looked the part. Also caught, the 1st game.

So Greenfield is ready to be C if Smith is needed in the field?

6. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I keep looking for Schwarz to see how he did. UF baseball without JJ. It has been a long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    no, I have one I got a while back, lucky I laminated it at the time, you may get one if you email Dan Apple