Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

Newly tested DNA evidence indicates that Arkansas may have executed an innocent man in 2017

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_lawyer, May 4, 2021.

1. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    That’s an interesting game I hadn’t considered. I tend to be firm on the death penalty for 1st degree murder, but something like this muddies the water for me, so to speak.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Yep to me if you execute one innocent person (and there have been many more than one) then it needs to be abolished. It's not a very good deterrent to murder either (in my opinion). To me it's purely about vengeance. I understand why some people are for it though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    Arkansas and it's legal system are terrible. Just watch the Paradise Lost documentaries and how they kept 3 innocent people on death row for years for a murder they obviously didn't commit. Even years later when they were released they still made them do it via the Alfred Plea.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I am only for it when a person has demonstrated that they will keep killing if allowed to live. Basically, I only support it where a person has either killed many at once (i.e., terrorist or mass shooter) or killed on multiple different occasions. Otherwise, I don't support it. It's imposed arbitrarily (often disproportionately based on race) and has already taken the lives of innocent people.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    It's kind of difficult to keep killing if you are confined to a cell for the rest of your life under high security.

6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Solitary confinement for life is torture. The death penalty is more humane than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m against the death penalty for the same reasons as RIP (without his obvious conflict of interest ;)), but this a line of thinking that could change my mind.

While we are on this subject, what is with the problems with lethal injection? Do we really have people sometimes writhing in pain for several minutes? Why aren’t people just put under general anesthesia before they do anything else?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Agree

9. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    My shorthand for when you see it (yes, I know these aren’t the aggravators) are 1) torture and killing 2) multiple victims, whether serially, mass casualty, or after incarceration 3) child victims, and 4) law enforcement victims. Those are the big four in my mind.

• Agree Agree x 1