Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

Newly tested DNA evidence indicates that Arkansas may have executed an innocent man in 2017

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_lawyer, May 4, 2021.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I have no words.
    'Unknown male' DNA found on murder weapon in Ledell Lee case | thv11.com
    New DNA testing that was completed four years after the State of Arkansas executed Ledell Lee for the 1993 murder of Debra Reese was released on Friday.

In January 2020, the Innocence Project and ACLU requested new DNA testing in Lee's case. Attorneys said that no physical evidence connected Lee to the murder and there were "serious flaws in the evidence to convict Lee."

The testing concluded that Lee's DNA was not on the wooden club or a bloody shirt found at the scene.

According to the test results, DNA of an "unknown male" was found on the wooden club that was reportedly used as the murder weapon and the shirt.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Arkansas rushed to put Lee to death before the DNA evidence could be tested because its lethal injection drug supplies were about to expire.
    DNA test may have cleared Arkansas man executed in rush to use expiring death penalty drugs: lawyer | CBC Radio
    Ledell Lee maintained his innocence until the day he died.

The Arkansas inmate was executed Thursday night for the 1993 murder of Debra Reese, marking the state's first execution in more than a decade. Shortly before he died, he told the BBC: "You are about to murder an innocent man."

Lee was the first to die in a group of eight men Arkansas had planned to execute in 11 days in a rush to use its supply of lethal injection drugs before they expire at the end of the month. Three other planned executions were canceled this week because of court decisions. Another inmate scheduled for execution next week has received a stay.
    . . .
    But lawyer Nina Morrison, who has been working on Lee's case, says he never got a fair shot. "It's hard to find the words. It's extremely painful," she told As It Happens. "I am just outraged and devastated that the state of Arkansas rushed to execute Ledell Lee before he got the DNA test that could have proven the truth of what he has been saying for 20 years."
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Death Row Prisoner Ledell Lee Seeks New Evidence to Prove His Innocence
    Lee was tried by a judge who concealed his own conflict of interest: an affair with the assistant prosecutor, to whom the judge was later married. Mr. Lee’s first state post-conviction counsel introduced the evidence of the affair by calling the judge’s ex-wife, who testified about the affair after opposing the subpoena. That lawyer, however, was so intoxicated at the hearing that the state moved for him to be drug tested after he slurred, stumbled, and made incoherent arguments.

The inebriated lawyer also represented Lee briefly in federal court, where he raised the important claim that Lee was ineligible for execution because of intellectual disability.

Lee won new proceedings because of the lawyer’s drunkenness, though his representation did not improve afterward. His next lawyers failed to introduce evidence of the affair, giving up one of many of Lee’s important arguments, and never pursued his innocence or intellectual disability claims.
    . . .
    "This is a story of the judicial process gone totally wrong," Stubbs said. "The kinds of attorney failures here: an affair with the presiding judge by the prosecutor, gross intoxication by defense counsel, and wild incompetence undermine our profession as a whole. Mr. Lee has never had the opportunity to have his case truly investigated, despite serious questions about guilt, and his intellectual disability."

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    There's a severely deranged sickness in the mindset that compels government actors/pols to rush to get executions completed before they run out of the drugs.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    This is one of the main reasons I'm against the death penalty.

• Agree x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  4. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    This is shocking. Even for a red state.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    Very sad to read this.
    Many heads need to roll starting with the DA and the judge. This whole system seems to be corrupt.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Interesting choice of phrase for this thread. :)

7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    There’s a word for it. Murder.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. PD

PD GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Shouldn't be if you’ve followed the execution tactics of red states like Texas (or the Trump White House).

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. PD

PD GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I doubt anyone will lose their job or even be disciplined at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Horrifying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I agree with you. We have now taken one murder and made it 2. Worse, it now appears both murder victims were innocent. To top it off, all of the actual murderers are still running free.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    While I agree with the death penalty in many cases, this is why I don't support the death penalty as it stands. One innocent person being put to death is too many.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    The last president lifted the federal moratorium just because they could, they wanted to kill people. We probably have the most pro-death high court in ages too.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Theoretically I support the death penalty, but as implemented in the US, it is an abomination. Far too many innocent men being killed by the government.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Every once in a while, something like this gets press. They’re typically written speculatively by anti DP groups and there’s usually not follow up. I’ll wait for something more definitive.

As far as the drug switch, the reason for it was anti-DP groups pressuring manufacturers the stop producing or providing it to corrections officials. So if error did occur as the result of a rushed process, there’s plenty of blame to go around.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Whoever dropped the ball (police, lawyers, judge etc) needs go to prison for life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Regardless of who earned the blame, the solution is to stop murdering people, be it "government sanctioned" or not.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Like I said, these releases by interested groups often appear in speculative terms. Their lack of definitive follow up telling because it, to me at least, shows the speculative release is the goal, to create exactly the impression I’m seeing in the thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    The testing was released on Friday. How are the groups supposed to "follow up"?

20. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Odds are that the awful AG who is involved in all of this is promoted to Governor in 2022.