Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(WBK) Newbauer Sees Signs of Growth as Gators Dig Deeper Into SEC Slate (Scott Carter)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Jan 10, 2019.

1. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    True. But Tennessee football is a major NC winning program. UF women’s basketball is starting from square one. Different mindset, IMO. The “Wins” and positive vibes have to come from somewhere....in practice is one place. Due to the complete dismantling and re-structuring, I’m willing to give Cam a few years. To build some continuity and culture. (And that culture needs to include “winning”). At this stage I’m willing to allow “wins” to be in the form of effort, intensity, attitude, and execution...even if it’s only in practice.

But, being tough, no nonsense and not tolerating losses might be a better tact or option.

I would hope we see that side from Cam soon (next season) . Have to start winning....not in practice but in games that count and in the SEC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Make a run at Becky Hammon again?:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    We’ve basically had two “re-starts” (by design/choice). To me, this is the equivalent of year 1 (part2) , and next year begins the first year of trying to build continuity and the program’s culture. Next year is the equivalent of year 2, in my mind.

Anyway, I really think at the end of year 5 ( your timeline, or (better :) ) my timeline), is when we (should) do the coaching/ program assessment of whether we continue with Cam or not....IMO.

IMO, continuity is needed to see if the coach can get the program over that proverbial hump. And this coach (and AD) chose to really take the program down to its foundations and start all over. Takes some effort and time to rebuild.

4. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017
    10+ wins is more than doable. I'm in no way lowering my expectations. We should have been better than 11-19 last year. We should have won at least the SEC tourney opener. And we definitely should not be sitting on only 4 wins this season.
    I just don't think Cam is the guy. Being honest, I never did. That doesn't mean I'm not rooting for him, nor that I don't want him to be successful. I'd love to be wrong and have this coach bring women's hoops in line with the successes that the other programs at this school experience. It's just that from my seat, he looks every bit the successful mid-major coach out of his depth at the Power 5 level. And I think it's coming apparent regardless as to how much "winning" is happening in practice...

5. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    How is she doing in the nba?

6. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017

5 years to rebuild? Not a chance. 3 is it. And that opportunity should hinge on the improving chemistry, buying into his system & practice wins turning into actual wins. Sooner than later.

7. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    We agree to disagree :)

I would say “three” if What Cam would have done was by conventional methods. That is, where a new coach comes in and uses the existing players and builds off that roster. If he would have built from butlers rosters, make the assessment at year 3.

But Cam blew it all up, not just once, but twice. Almost a total roster change over. If the AD agreed to that, me,as the AD, I start my “clock”, my timetable “this year”.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  8. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR All American

Feb 1, 2011
    We really can't say yet if Cam's plan will work... far too soon. I do also agree that 5 years is a bit too long to wait and see... You give him 3-4 years. As of now he has done some good in terms of building the roster but been very lackluster on the court. We need improved defense and post play badly. If we are sitting on this record in Year 3 it is a no brainer for me to make a change if I am Stricklin... if we are over 10 wins and have a shot at close to .500 in conferense plus another solid class coming in then you have to see what happens year 4. 20+ wins next season and I think we know he is here for a while. Stricklin may have a completely different mindset but that is how I would approach this... to feel really good about Cam I would like to see him get near that 20 win mark. I think he needs that to be able to sell recruits on what he is building.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017
    I think the blow up was a major mistake (one of several). If for no other reason than the incredibly thin post play. I would much rather have Hayes & Thomas than Robinson and (if you can really count) Brower, in addition to Zada. Thomas wasn't a great defender, but she was able to stay on the floor without getting into foul trouble and she was fairly efficient on offense. Hayes was a much better defender and I thought by season end, she was the team's most improved player. Even if they could only contribute this season what they did last year, we'd be looking at a much different record.

10. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I agree. I would have kept them.

I’m not sure if it was a lockerroom culture issue or not?

What other mistakes have you enumerated?

11. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017
    From what I hear, they're no longer here (along with Johnson) because it was his choice, not theirs.

The other big errors?
    1st one is going full in on the "chuck it from the cheap seats" play. The team he had wasn't built for that (even more so this season). Butler's teams were built for full court defense and offense through the post players. He should have adjusted to personnel.
    The 2nd is the lack of bench use last year. Everybody constantly talks about how thin they were depth wise and how the starters were so worn out. They weren't that thin - at least until Searcy left. Last year the starters averaged 31 minutes a game and the lineup only changed due to injury. This years starters are averaging 25 per. Those 6 minutes per player is huge - especially in close games when you're relying on the starters. And it definitely affected their development. It'll be interesting to see how Hayes & Thomas impact their new programs next season when eligible. If they're effective and we're (still) not, to me that's another strike for Cam.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    I'd be okay if we didn't have so many atrocious non-conference losses. Next year will definitely tell the tale.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Foley is at fault here.

Carol Ross did a good job at UF, making the NCAAT often. But not good enough for Foley and he hammered her for it every season. She finally said, "Eff off, Foley," and left. He got what he wanted without firing her, and went out and got a succession of ineffectual coaches that started a downward spiral.

As long as we see improvement this season and next, and don't see recruiting absolutely tank, we need to give Cam time to build it his way. Dramatic improvement right away is unrealistic.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Not sure you can blame foley for this. He was trying to get someone to get us over the hump. In retrospect, it didn’t work out. In retrospect, Ross turned out to be the best of the bunch. But, you know how gator fans are, we even gripe about making the ncaa’s, if we don’t advance far. Fans were Talking to get rid of BD, even. Fortunately, Foley looked at that situation and said “are you kidding me?!”

We tried the NCAA tourney winner. We tried the gator alumnae. Now, it appears we are going with the full make-over/reconstruction.

We do need more gator fans in the stands, win or lose. More fans invested. And less taking *snipes* from the cheap seats.

15. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I would offer that if the “chuck it from the cheap seats” offense is what Cam wants to run - go ahead and install it, now. Since it appears winning is secondary these first few years.....so: Show the recruits what they will be playing in.... E.g. in football parlance, don’t run a wishbone if you intend to run the pass heavy fun ‘n gun. Install your offense or schemes especially if the first 2 years are effectively re-structuring years. Even if it doesn’t fit the personnel.

Now, if you were told “you have to win out of the gate”, then Cam’s tactic would be a mistake!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    amen, if they were in the stands they would see the kids' effort and the coaching at every single opportunity... I 'll be there Sunday

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    You proved my point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017
    A good coach adapts his style/philosophy to the talent of the team. I’ve no problem with him putting in his offense, but (using your analogy) you don’t abandon the run in lieu of the pass if your quarterback can’t throw and your receivers are used to blocking

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. missourigator

missourigator GC Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    I guess we will show more improvement against Missouri and only lose by 16.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    My point is that we would *ALL* have made a similar error. ( only the most conservative posters here would have maintained the status quo)

• Like Like x 1