Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(WBK) Newbauer Sees Signs of Growth as Gators Dig Deeper Into SEC Slate (Scott Carter)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Jan 10, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Newbauer Sees Signs of Growth as Gators Dig Deeper Into SEC Slate
    The UF women's basketball team enters a tough stretch of the schedule with second-year head coach Cam Newbauer pleased by the way the program is trending.

Scott Carter / Senior WriterUF
    In his media session before practice, Newbauer raved about how sophomore transfer Kiara Smith and others have been coming to the gym more lately to improve on their own. When Newbauer arrived from Belmont University in Nashville to replace former Gators standout Amanda Butler, he came prepared to instill his culture and system. He knew there would be comings and goings as there usually are in coaching changes.

He was right. Newbauer and his staff overhauled the roster entering his second season, with senior guards Funda Nakkasoglu and Delicia Washington forming the backbone. Nakkasoglu and Washington carry most of the scoring load, too.

What had Newbauer excited for practice on Wednesday is the light that is starting to finally shine ahead.

"The amount of wins we are getting at practice every day is what is great,'' he said. "They're climbing. They say when you are climbing a mountain, it's not the mountain that gets you but the pebble in the shoe. The good thing is that most of our pebbles are kind of out of the way and we're focused on climbing."

Finally, a glimmer has returned. A strong recruiting class coming in next season and an overhauled roster that is showing signs of maturity and growth has Newbauer optimistic in what's ahead once more pieces to the puzzle show up on campus.
    Before the Gamecocks began their run of dominance against the Gators, Staley was 24-33 in her first two seasons. It can be done but it's not easy.

Newbauer Sees Signs of Growth as Gators Dig Deeper Into SEC Slate - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Big test tonight!
    Half expecting a 20+ point loss, but I thought that for the auburn game...but the gators are playing better....

3. missourigator

missourigator GC Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    Wins in practice, is this guy for real? Pleased by the way the program is trending.OmG I guess he likes to lose.

4. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Down 22-0 early.

End of 1: 24-9

5. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Do you have any sort of coaching experience? Or compassion?

• Like Like x 2
  6. missourigator

missourigator GC Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    No I have no coaching experience but I know what success is. And it isn’t getting beat by everybody. So we showed improvement instead of 0-29 it was only 0-22. I was never a Butler fan but she never but a team on the court that loses so much. I will show compassion and give him next year. If he doesn’t get to a 500 record, he needs to be fired,

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    The question is, what do you want him to say? Or do want him to berate his players until they win, or not say a thing?

8. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Gators do better in the 2nd , 14-13.
    But trail at half 37-23

9. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    USCe runs away with the 3rd 19-8
    Gators down 56-31

10. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I like their promotion: if an opposing player misses 2 foul shots in a row, everyOne in the stands gets free chick fil a.

Gets the fans involved. What can UF do to get more fans in the stands and engaged (besides winning)?

• Like Like x 1
  11. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    USCe doubles us 64-32 with 5:34 left

12. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Final 71-40 USCe

Shooting 25%
    20% from 3
    56% at foul line
    Outrebounded 45-31

13. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

The beatings will continue until morale improves.....

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I am only surprised by the margin, I never expected them to beat So Carolina, I'm going to try to get by some of the Friday practice before the gymnastics meet just to see how the kids and coaches respond.

• Like Like x 1
  15. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Premium Member

Feb 1, 2011
    It has definitely been a disappointing season. I didn't expect them to be great but I did think we could be a .500 team at the least. On the bright side, we basically gutted the roster and remade it in less than 2 years. Next season Delicia will be the only Butler holdover... I am probably in the minority because she has great moments but for me she is far too talented to be as out of control and inconsistent as she is at times. Kiara, Ariel, Manu, and Kristina are the reasons I do have some hope... possibly Danielle as well but I haven't seen her quite as much yet. These are girls Cam recruited for his system and I have seen flashes that make me think all of them can be impactful players for us. We are adding 3 (maybe 4) good ones to that mixture next year and they'd all still have at least one more year together after that. I think by the end of next year we will have 7-9 girls that will really be the foundation for the future. There are a few things I wish Cam had done differently this year in terms of coaching but I do really like what I see in terms of building the roster. Next year is critical. He can't afford another losing season.... even if the administration tolerates 3 losing seasons the fans likely are not going to and recruiting could become very problematic. I think he needs to win around 20 games next year to be on track and obviously in the postseason. It is not a sure thing but I do think it can be done. One elite post player would really help move this along, but I don't know if we have one in the cards or not. Regardless, Cam gets next season and at the end of it I think is when we can really debate if he is going to work out or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    The team is not good, but I've said this before; the offense looks more disciplined and cohesive than it ever did under Butler. I expect continued improvement and a substantial jump next year. This is a rebuilding and will take a while.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I talk to a lot of fans at the home games you are not a minority, DW is a fabulous athlete, our best rebounder and maybe best defender but less disciplined than we need her to be IMO, I can say she is much improved over last season in that aspect and that has earned her more time on the court, I just wish she would play more under control in crucial or tight situations

Dani looks good in practice so far, and appears to be very coachable, like Manu, she is slight of build so not great defending bigger players but good quick hands and a decent shooting eye from what I have seen so far, Kiki has improved her shot selection in the last few weeks and is getting better at hitting the open shooter, still a good ways to go before she is an SEC calibre point, Kristina is my pick for most impactful recruit, it is taking her some time to get used to USA v Aussie basketball but she has good instincts and is very coachable

the recruiting has been better than I expects and next year's crew won't be joining a completely new group and I think that makes for a faster building of chemistry and learning what Cam wants to do situationally as opposed to this year when the team was almost all brand new

Emer will bring some bulk to the post next year and she is left handed and not bad at shooting 3s, Zada has made improveents all season but is never going to be that bump everyone else out of the way and make the put back, I believe she gets the most out of her talents

Exactly how I see this season, I see improvement and cohesion that I like, as was stated above our most athletic player frequently plays out of control when it matters most.

18. missourigator

missourigator GC Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    What do I want him to say? Just be honest. Not delusional We are winning in practice? practice??? I like the way we are trending and then lose by 31. Be honest. Say we aren't very good but we try and we will get better. Most of us made fun of Jones at TENN. when he said they were champions of life. But nobody questions, we are winning at practice. They probably are since the only SEC team they can beat is themselves. I am sorry but usually a coach does better his second year not worst. But he does have a good class coming in if they stay with their commitment. So, it is wait till next year.

19. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Freshman

Mar 7, 2017
    Let's get a baseline here first - he's (we're) not getting 20 wins next season. Not even close. If we match our conf win total from last season, we're only ending up with 7 wins. We're not jumping +13 with our personnel. Plus, every team in the conference will be better next year (with the possible exception of MS St after the loss of McCowan) and we're losing Funda. There isn't anybody on the team with the same scoring ability or tenacity that she has.
    What we're getting next year is good, with maybe one of the kids having a shot at great after a couple years in the program.
    While I think he's bringing in solid players, to me he's just signing the best overall talent he can get. He's not really getting kids that fit his system.
    I think we have enough to make a solid assessment. And it's not a good one.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Premium Member

Feb 1, 2011
    +10 wins from one year to the next is not uncommon at all in women's basketball. We should have won more than we have already... 10 wins was not an unrealistic expectation for this team and thus why it has been a disappointing season. I am not lowering my expectations, nor should the AD. You don't move the goal post because you couldn't get there. I think 20 wins is doable... didn't say it would be easy. 20 wins in year 3 is not an unreasonable demand...Butler had 24 in year 2. Gutting the roster came at a price this year, but the payoff should be next season when we lose only Funda. It's irrelevant really right now. Cam is undoubtedly the coach next season and we will have a much better feel for if he is the answer after it is over. A third losing season should be unacceptable regardless.

• Agree Agree x 1