Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

"New York City just introduced crack pipe vending machines. Really."

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorrick22, Jun 7, 2023.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Harm reduction is better than harm maximalization

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Oooh i think I see what you did there.
    Took me a minute.

Nah, I still think Rick qualifies. No one is really fiscally so anymore.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I'm not sure if it's part of the same or similar program, but the article in the OP references Biden sending out crack pipes. The administration denied that and said the kits included "alcohol swabs, lip balm, other materials to promote hygiene and reduce the transmission of diseases like HIV and hepatitis." It also noted that HHS planned to provide naloxone, fentanyl test strips, and clean syringes.

Maybe there's some nuance here about funding the kits versus pipes? I don't know. Seems like one side or the other isn't telling the truth.

What is inside the safe smoking kits that Biden is distributing?

4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  5. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Nope, not quite the same thing.

New York City installs free crack pipe dispensers - media

6. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I notice all this pics are just pics of the machine/or bags inside it... what's in the bag? The fact that no one opened a bag to show an actual crack pipe makes these claims sus ... as my kids would say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    So you saw the picture, but you didn't read the words? Lol...

8. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm being serious. If there are crack pipes in the bags, why didn't they open the bag and show it? Seems like that would be a bigger payoff for right wing outrage they are looking for than showing a bag ...

9. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Its in the second article I posted.

New York City installs free crack pipe dispensers - media

10. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I remember in health class in high school, we had cop come in to talk about drugs, and he ended up showing us how to make a crack pipe out of a pen. Just an aside ...

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
  12. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007

The street-corner boxes also offer the overdose reversal drug Narcan, condoms, and - soon - syringes

New York City's first "public health" vending machine, stocked with free drug paraphernalia and unveiled on a corner of Brooklyn's drug-infested Brownsville neighborhood on Monday, had already been cleaned out of almost all its contents 24 hours later, the New York Post reported on Tuesday.

Well-stocked with "safer smoking" kits containing free crack pipes, "safer sniffing" kits, fentanyl testing strips, overdose-reversing Narcan nasal sprays, nicotine gum and condoms on Monday morning, the big blue box contained just one overdose-reversal kit and a pair of testing strips the next day.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. mrhansduck

Nov 23, 2021
    Fox News says that the machines have crack pipes and mouthpieces in them.

In addition, they reportedly have Naloxone, drug-test strips that detect fentanyl, condoms, tampons, nicotine gum and first-aid packages. Is this money well spent on health outcomes? Is there a risk that some people will start doing drugs because they get a free pipe?

NYC unveils vending machine for drug users, with free crack pipes and Narcan for ODs

14. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Can you explain your outrage here? Please frame it relative to the stated goals and benefits of the program.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Look, someone already posted above that right wing media lied about what was in the Federal "Safe Smoking Kit", so I'm not going to take right wing media's words alone on this. You know, as Bush used to say, "fool me once, and that's a shame, but if I fool you twice, then shame, shame, shame"... something like that. Seems like it would have been easy to open a bag and show what is inside.

If the stuff is there that they say is, then I hope it gets into the hands of people who need it, and the box is not just being cleaned out by idiots.

16. mrhansduck

Nov 23, 2021
    I seem to remember them bringing in a K-9 for their show and tell and a student asking if they could leave, lol.

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Hey, if drug addicts like it, it must be bad.

18. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe it was just a VERY well conditioned reflex.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  19. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I have no idea why you brought this to me. I read in another article that Vancouver, Canada has had these vending machines for a long time and all it did was make the drug addition far worse then it was. I have not been to Vancouver so I don't know personally, but that's all I will say about these new vending dispensaries in New York.

I have no comment on any federal "safe Smoking kit" that you speak of. Nor do I know anything about it, fake or real.

20. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    My little red town DOESN'T have these machines and drug overdose deaths have also gotten far worse ... maybe it's not related... or maybe the machines would have saved some people, who knows...

Meth use drives overdose epidemic in rural U.S. communities | OHSU News

Opioid Misuse in Rural America | USDA