Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New RB Thread

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Nov 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Its about being able to take your trips. When a kid openly commits to one school, some other schools you might want to travel and visit will go cold on you. Then, free trip over. A lot of these kids want to travel around the country and be showered on and see other cities and such. So if they are committed, they want to stay quiet about it so there's no pressure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    True but it's crazy though that last year we ran 2 more plays per game than we have this year but I still feel like we're slower than we should be. I just...guess i'm envisioning an offense that kept pressure on opposing defenses and ran a lot of plays.

What's crazy is that we're averaging around the same plays now that we did during the Mac era.

College Football Stats - College FB Team Plays per Game on TeamRankings.com

3. Agator88

Agator88 All American

Oct 7, 2014
    It feels like every time we get to the line, we make a change. Either trask looks to the sideline and audibles, or he does the audible himself. We never get to the line and go, it's always like a "check with me" look to ths sideline. I wish we did run more up tempo, but maybe we just aren't ready for that on the Oline and at QB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Good info, thanks Gray. If that's the reason, though, it's seems very ingenuous of these kids. Seems like the system is encouraging dishonesty just to gets free trips to somebody else's smelly locker room.

If I was trying decide what college to attend for academic reasons, the last thing I would do is waste my time traveling to and looking into schools that I had no interest in, free trip or not. But, that's just me, I guess.

5. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    It’s different when you actually move the ball though. lol

• Like Like x 2
  6. Docnoq

Docnoq Sophomore

Oct 17, 2016
    I think the biggest difference now is we are intentionally using the play clock to evaluate what the defense is doing, and so our plays are all very calculated with a direct intent behind them. Before with Mac we were just using up the entire play clock fumbling around trying to get everyone in place, and every snap I had this dreadful feeling of "I hope everyone was ready and knows what they are supposed to do on this snap."

On one hand, it would be nice to see us push tempo when we catch the defense with a big play to kind of keep them off guard, but on the other hand, that can lead to sloppiness and more penalties from the O-line on false starts. Based on what we've seen from this O-line this season, I'm fine with the way we are handling things just to make sure we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yep....the amount of plays isn't an issue when it's effective, you're scoring points, and you're winning lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    My sense is this is largely driven by our inability to get off the field on defense in several games this year. The running game itself is held back by the offensive line play being awful.... though with as good of a passer as Trask is, we should be seeing more passes than runs, even with an average run game.

But the offensive pace feels like a typical mullen system. He’s not trying to be purposely fast to catch a defense that isn’t ready, but he’s efficient.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    This is pretty much my thought as well. As improved as the offense is, I think Mullen still trusts the defense way more than the offense. Even against Mizzou, we had under 400 total yards of total offense, only 18 first downs, only 2 TDs and we converted only 3 of 14 first downs.

I think Mullen's strategy now is to shorten the game and keep the defense as rested as possible and limit the number of plays for our opponents. I believe that will continue to be Mullen's strategy until the offense can start consistently rolling up 500+ yards per game, 25-30 first downs, and convert 45-50%+ of third downs (currently about 34% - #107) and score 40+ (current about 30 -#52).

When we can consistently do that, I can see Mullen's strategy changing to playing fast, scoring as many points as possible and daring teams to try to keep up. But until then, I think Mullen will play pretty conservative.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    That post gave me Muschamp vibes lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Great minds think alike. Sound reasoning. I don’t see much changing until staff puts an OL on the field which allows Gator RB’s to get 1, 2 or even 3 yards on 3rd down. Eventually having a dual threat QB on the field and some aggression on the OL will get us there.

12. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Assuming we run the ball on average 35 times next season i'd like to see the carries distributed like this:

Emory (if he's starting): 10
    Pierce: 15
    RB2: 6
    Toney/Copeland: 4

• Like Like x 1
  13. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    Michael Drennen II will visit December 13th.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Can anyone explain-it-like-I-am-five-years-old, but why was everyone assuming Bowman was going to the Gators?

I was bored and reading through tweets on running back recruiting for UF. You eventually get a point where everyone is talking about Bowman as though he were the biggest Gator in the world. "Bowman is going to break Emmitt's freshmen records", etc, etc, etc.

If you dial it back some, even after he committed to Clemson, people were confident they could sway him back to Florida. There are still people who can't accept it.

Where does this confidence come from? For like, a high school kid with no obvious, family ties to UF? I honestly have never seen an uncommitted player talked up so much for months and months and months. Yes, I am aware that I'm relatively new to the Twitter game, but who was saying Bowman was a Gator? Who? Were his teammates? How did it reach the Dewey defeats Truman hype levels?

15. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    I think a lot of it has to do that Bowman grew up a gator fan I believe (correct me if I’m wrong). Also Lakeland has put out mostly gators and Bowman is friends with some of the gators who played at Lakeland last year. Guys like Lloyd Summerall and Zipperer. Those guys I’m sure are on him about coming to UF. But this is more of a business decision for him picking Clemson.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. thegatorvault

thegatorvault Senior

Jan 11, 2015
    RE Bowman.....as others have said, I think we take another RB and take him if the kid changes his mind.

It will be really interesting to see how it all shakes out, especially if Clemson loses in the playoffs. I think when the dust settles after both NSDs, we will get a better understanding of what was going on with regard to recruiting this position group. There is a reason they say hindsight is 20/20.

17. nodakgator

nodakgator Sophomore

Oct 14, 2019
    Images like this can lead one to thinking he’d be a Gator.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    Maybe it’s nothing but usually players that commit to a school are always posting positive stuff about the school they have committed too and have pics up of them in the teams gear. All of Bowmans posts are related mostly to his high school and that’s basically it. For a kid high on Clemson and committed he does not show any love to them in all honesty. Btw I’m talking about his Twitter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Click on his "likes". He likes a lot of Clemson stuff

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They are fans. Anyone that I know close to the team are still hopeful but certainly not confident. In fairness to the fans who think he will still choose UF, they are fueled by rumors, innuendo and mixed signals at times from Bowman himself.

There is also that faction that think Bowman will in the end follow his heart to UF and his mother will aqueous to his wishes. Stay tuned because this will all continue until the ink dries.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.