Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New RB Thread

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Nov 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    Agreed. What high rated RB would want to come to UF right now after seeing how god aweful that oline was in the run.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    To be honest if I was a top RB and had my choice of school UF would not be it. I love my Gators but if I’m looking at trying to get into the NFL and showcase my talents in college I would look at teams like Bama, LSU, UGA, Ohio St. Now if UF had a good oline it would be different for sure. But I’m not trying to only run for 10 yards a game with that UF oline

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Sad but true. It should be the most obvious reason if we are just throwing stuff against the wall. As a rb that more than likely doesn’t play much his first year, this year probably has no bearing on what should be expected for a career here. But most people want to see first, can’t sell me something I’ve never seen. Our line looked well coached, they just couldn’t manhandle the guys in front of them.

4. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill GC Legend

Feb 7, 2018
    Then U F needs to make the OL a huge priority for run blocking. That will help the whole offense.

5. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    You know they are building a new student housing there at UM. That place is like a paradise to a young impressionable kid. I've seen and been inside some of UF's student housing during 09-10 when my son stayed in the dorm. I must say UF's student housing is lacking tremendously. But that's just one aspect of recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Just depends on what a kids impressed by.

7. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Lord knows I'm the last one to complain about the coaches or players, but I don't think they are fully absolved from criticism if warranted. Fans should be able to voice their opinion when negative or perceived odd things are happening negatively regarding the gators. I don't think there is anything wrong in questioning the coaches to why we can't seem to land a highly rated RB the last couple of years, especially those kids who live in our own backyard. As someone mentioned, some of these kids grew up not liking UF. At the same token, he mentioned Georgia kids grew up liking UGA. Why is that? Also, the common theme is RB. Who's responsible for bringing in quality backs, the RB coach? It's hard to deny facts when you keep whiffing on top RB recruits in your own backyard. Hopefully, he will prove me wrong. Fingers crossed that he has a couple of silent commits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I actually think we are recruiting relatively well. Not complaining in that regard.

But a whiff at RB is of concern. FSU and UM offensive lines were horrible this year. Just as bad or worse than ours. Yet both teams have some solid commits. I'm leaning to believe that our recruiting issues extend beyond current OL performance.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. hotelgator

hotelgator All American

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    UF will sign a RB. He will be a good one at that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Sure hope so, because the past two years have been “whack-a-mole” chasing RBs. Sanders, Bowman, etc.

I will state, however, that I think Nay’Quan Wright is gonna be legit. Some of his Jr year film before his Sr year injury was really good.

I bring Wright up as a case inn point that we can back into a gem late in the cycle. Remains to be seen if Wright pans out, but he was a 5* recruit as a Jr who fell out of favor due to his SR year injury

part of the fun of following recruiting are the unknowns. Kids made head scratching decisions, coaches can’t close in recruiting, other teams’ coaches move to new roles. Highly fluid situation heading into early signing day.
    Should be fun!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. r0r080

r0r080 Sophomore

Jul 31, 2019
    I grew up loving the Gators, and had I been blessed with the athletic ability to warrant a scholarship offer to play football at the University of Florida........I wouldn't had to pause to consider my options, I'd would have been on that like white on rice!

With a population as large as Florida's, you'd think there would be a number of gifted football athletes (5* - 4*), wanting to come to Florida to play football? Putting a consistent winner out on the football field should do wonders as well.......I'm still about giving this time and willing to allow the sowing of the good seed I see being sowed to eventually lead to a bountiful harvest!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    There are always going to be a small vocal minority who will always see only the negative. Just ignore them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Sophomore

Nov 9, 2019
    This is not a good way to look at it. OL looking good this year does not ean it will be the same after a few years due to coaching turnover etc. The recruit should look at the vision of the coaches and the good recruiters sell that vision. How did Nick Saban recruit good RBs at Bama in 2007 when he had nothing to show for it? Or Pete Carroll at USC before the USC train started picking up steam. I am sure Mullen has enough samples from his history to sell it to a good RB.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Nice way of putting it.

15. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Drennen is no longer taking an OV this weekend per Blake

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    As a casual observer, I feel we are over the hump and any state recruit shouldn't feel they have to leave the state or settle for fsu or miami now and they know it. Might be a tad late for this cycle but we are out of the wilderness.

As far as RB (or any other position) perception is reality. You hype UF as a great destination for running backs long enough and hard enough and it will pay dividends.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. G8tr69

G8tr69 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Recruiting is a MAJOR part of College Football. :D

18. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

D
    Did he decide not to or was he told not to? .... That's the question.

19. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
  20. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

Just trying to read the tea leaves sort of speak...

Drennen cancels his OV and a day or two ago the other RB that was going to visit tweets that he's sticking with msu?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.