Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New RB Thread

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Nov 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Since the other one is a bit convoluted, Lets clean it up a bit. I am as bewildered as many of you in the recruitment of the position. Even more so because I know UF has had more than one guy ready to commit.
    Bobby posted this and it is a good summary so lets start there.

First we had Keyvone locked in and committed until Feb when he decommitted but still we thought we had Bow all but locked up before March of this year. Bow visits Clemson and we know what happens come May.

Don't forget thinking the legacy of Emmitt would be able to pull in EJ.

Focus seemed to then shift towards the summer and all kind of names are linked to UF from Mescoe Todd, Drennon, Toafili, Marvin Scott, and even trying to get Caziah Holmes.

Now as the season goes on we've gotten EJ, Knighton, and Jalen White on campus but nothing popped.

Now we're hoping we can get Jahmyr Gibbs on campus for the FSU game and even then, we still are behind GT, Bama, and OSU in his recruitment by all indication. Don't forget us being late to the party in going after Henry Parish as well. He hasn't shown much interest to UF despite him being from Florida. We was also kicking the tires with Don Chaney but he remains firm to Miami and trying to get Knighton to give Miami a long look. Who else am I missing??? Jo'Quavious Marks the current MSU commit. I think he's locked in a visit with us for the FSU game and hopefully we can impress since he'd rather come to that game for a OV than go to the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving. End of post from Bobby.

Right now I know of two OV's set up. Drennon and Marks. As to a silent commit, I think there could be one but it may be out of left field.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Thanks Candy. Gotta get one and I’d be thrilled with 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea man i had to type it out because it's REALLY perplexing. It's to the point where i feel that they HAVE to HAVE a silent or inside track on someone because there's NO way none of these dudes aren't a take especially considering the ones we've heard wanted to get on board but was slow played.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  4. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Something must be going on behind the scenes in a very low key way. Must be.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's Bo Carroll. Many have going to Penn State!

It's really confusing, you have both Miami and FSU unranked and they both have top-10 RB right now (Knighton is FSU, IMO). In fact, FSU could have 3 top 25 RBs this year if they wanted. They're ranked #95 in rushing offense. I'm all sorts of confused.

I mean, I suppose we have proven we can be a 10th-ranked team without a running game AT ALL. But you need a running game to close out games against elite competition.

My gut says that a guy already committed to another team, wants out, but can't because of local fan pressure. Bowman would NOT have local fan pressure keeping him at Clemson, so I am thinking someone in the midwest or west coast.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. HeatMizer

HeatMizer Freshman

Dec 7, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    I love the coaching staff, they have been loyal to CDM and are great at developing players. I don't know much about Coach Knox, so it's not a knock on Knox (see what I did there), but retaining Jujuan Seider as the only holdover coach could have paid a lot of dividends in recruiting. Seems to be the only question mark on this staff. I just don't seem to hear much about Coach Knox, which might be telling in his ability to recruit.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. dontpanic

dontpanic VIP Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Temple Terrace
    The Silent, or Inside Track appears most likely.

Although really, there are lots of places more important to fill than RB right now (Wright being redshirted is anything but a slouch).

But Coach Mullen prefers to gain players at every position other than P/PK every year.

The thing about RB is that it's a position that a lot of prospects each year have the abilities that can consistently gain 6 yds per carry behind a Strong OLine, which will be here in the near future, hopefully by the middle of next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Never did understand the purpose of being a "silent commit." If you are really a commit, you would think you would admit it and draw other highly-rated players to your team with you. I guess it's all about the publicity at the announcement table, or waiting to see if you can get in somewhere else first. But, flipping gets them publicity, too, so, just seems ridiculous to not commit.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. bottledigger

bottledigger All American

Aug 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    "The thing about RB is that it's a position that a lot of prospects each year have the abilities that can consistently gain 6 yds per carry behind a Strong OLine"

I agree. Lots of greater positions of need than RB.

10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    a stud back changes a lot of things. Watching Bowman highlights this year....he's exactly what we need in the backfield. A good RB can be solid/serviceable behind any serviceable OL...a great back can make something out of nothing more than a good back.

Now...the thing is scouting and evaluating and FINDING and SIGNING that great back no matter if it's a Bowman flip or signing the 450 rated player at RB who's underrated but still a great back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    They may be athletically gifted without being rocket scientists. Still one would think they can read and comprehend stat’s and trends. You’d think they’d ask Akers what he thinks.

12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We’ve had some great backs at Florida and Taylor does have a ship. That said, we probably still win that title in 96 with Perine and Pierce. 06 and 08 backs weren’t that special either. The list of great backs throughout history does not equate to championships like qbs, great olines, and great defenses. Sure, if Emmit were on those 06,08 teams it would have been out of this world but not necessary. Third and one being an automatic first down is much more important and a big flaw in our team at the moment. Drive for show, put for the dough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t know why we can’t just say Seider should have been retained for two seasons. It’s clear enough. I think it’s also fairly clear CDM has been loyal to his staff or friends and let one or two continue to ride the Mullen train.

• Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  14. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Times changes from 96, 06, and 08 considering those teams were littered with elite athletes and pass catchers as well (and elite QB'ing and coaching so you can hide not having top flight tailbacks). With Mullen not being an elite coach, imo, and us being more prone to being a run heavy spread O, we def need the horses at running back.

Demps and Rainey weren't special, but we saw what they brought to the table as oppose to our running game in 2007...it was night and day different. The offense took off in 08 after Mullen started getting them involved more

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Nah, oline, defense and great qb’s are still carrying the day. LSU missing that great rb and it doesn’t seem to be hurting them. That defense and it’s lack of being able to stop the run may bite them in the ass.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Just like the NFL began drafting to build the parts that make a solid back successful so they didn’t have to spend first round money on a RB so could our staff be doing. It doesn’t do any good to have a Bowman running into a pile of rocks every other down. It’s not until next season when our OL begins to get it done that our staff will be able to recruit a back with video and vision of what he could do and we for him. This cycle it’s probably going to be a player that really wants to be at UF or maybe no true RB. CDM got 100+ run yards from or WRs last week so whatever it takes.

17. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    You don't think Clyde Edwards-Helaire is great? He's been waaaaaaaay better than Nick Brossette was last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    No better than Perine and Pierce in that offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    When a starter is graduating and you have 4 unproven or injury prone backs on the depth chart, you would think a HS player would like his chances of starting early. FSU had two 4 star verbals at the RB position, as an example, despite a terrible offense and team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    Seider was retained. He chose to leave.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.